Wish DAW Plugin editor

Although, the ability to send and receive a raw SYX blob would enable this, wouldn't it? You could decide where to store that blob, either on disk or directly in the plugin instance.
If it could be stored in the plugin itself, yes, that would do the job. As I mentioned, the workarounds of storing it in a memory slot in the Axe-Fx or in a file on the computer are clumsy. The point of this wish is to avoid kludges like that.

I'm on board with the idea of a simple plugin that has two buttons, send and receive and maybe a simple text display to show the name of the saved preset so you have confirmation that it has been received and saved.

I'm assuming you meant "saving" it in a memory slot, like a preset slot, and that the plugin would basically work like the "Audition" button does in the Axej-change UI for the editor:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-05 at 12.35.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-05 at 12.35.28 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
I'm assuming you meant "saving" it in a memory slot, like a preset slot, and that the plugin would basically work like the "Audition" button does in the Axej-change UI for the editor:
Well, no, not a memory slot in the Axe-FX, if that's what you mean. As I mentioned above, "the workarounds of storing it in a memory slot in the Axe-Fx or in a file on the computer are clumsy. The point of this wish is to avoid kludges like that.".

The whole point of this wish is to have the plugin save the preset, so it gets saved in the DAW project file. That way, when you open the project file tomorrow or next week, you have immediate access to the preset that was used to originally record the track. You don't have to worry if memory slots in the Axe-FX were overwritten or files on the computer were misplaced.

Last edited:
Storing a preset in a vst instance would be easy but the big problem would be that it would sound different from one axefx firmware to another. Also i'm not sure a vst plugin can talk to midi hardware without letting the daw handling this connection.

Storing a preset in a vst instance would be easy but the big problem would be that it would sound different from one axefx firmware to another.
This is discussed at length earlier in the thread.

Also i'm not sure a vst plugin can talk to midi hardware without letting the daw handling this connection.
Yes, a plugin can connect to midi ports. But it should work over usb, including the FM3.

This is discussed at length earlier in the thread.

Yes, a plugin can connect to midi ports. But it should work over usb, including the FM3.
Yes, so all of this has no real point...
An axefx vst simulation would be great but it's something which won't happen ever...

Or maybe I misunderstood what you mean by "saving". Do you mean by that: sending the preset to the Axe-FX when you press the "send" button on the plugin? Nothing would get saved when you do that, it would simply load the preset that was previously saved in the plugin to the Axe-FX. In that way, yes, you're right, it's like Audition.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you mean by "saving". Do you mean by that: sending the preset to the Axe-FX when you press the "send" button on the plugin? Nothing would get saved when you do that, it would simply load the preset that was previously saved in the plugin to the Axe-FX. In that way, yes, you're right, it's like Audition.

yeah, that's what I meant. the data's gotta go somewhere. Currently when you load a preset file either by auditioning or using "import preset" it just loads that up in whatever preset you have selected, and at that point you can save it if you want to. But yeah I think we're on the same page now 👍

I don't presume to know what Fractal development looks like, but if I were designing it I'd just take the chunk of code that sends the data that Axe Edit gets from the Axe-Change HTTP response and adapt it to read from the VST3 plugin instance state whenever a button on the plugin is clicked. A second button could be used to read the current plugin from the device and store it in the VST3 plugin instance, saved within the host project.

I don't presume either, but I don't think this wish has languished for so long due to a technical issue. It's just a matter of priority. Anything related to recording tends get extremely low priority. Look at how a severe usb audio bug lingered for over 4 years.

That's the FAS way: they design devices for live performance and I don't begrudge them that. I even admire that degree of focus. But I think they're missing a golden opportunity to set themselves apart from the competition by paying just a little more attention to customers who use the Axe-FX for recording.

Was it not the old 11-rack that had loaded this preset info into the audio file when it was recorded In the DAW?
I remember i could recall what ever preset when you used this function over the USB connection.

Was it not the old 11-rack that had loaded this preset info into the audio file when it was recorded In the DAW?
I remember i could recall what ever preset when you used this function over the USB connection.
Yes it did. Brilliant feature. That was the best thing about the Eleven.

I always liked the idea of a plugin host for Axe-Edit with the ability to store a few presets for the project. In fact I worked up a feature design doc for this many years ago. (I was part of the Virus TI team and liked some of how it handled this type of integration). I suppose the concept could still develop, but there have been many bigger fish to fry with such limited space over the fire.

I always liked the idea of a plugin host for Axe-Edit with the ability to store a few presets for the project. In fact I worked up a feature design doc for this many years ago. (I was part of the Virus TI team and liked some of how it handled this type of integration). I suppose the concept could still develop, but there have been many bigger fish to fry with such limited space over the fire.
Can you explain a bit about what you mean by "host" and "store a few presets"? The idea in this thread is to make a plugin version of Axe-Edit that would be used inside a host, not be a host. And, it would only store a single preset.

Can you explain a bit about what you mean by "host" and "store a few presets"? The idea in this thread is to make a plugin version of Axe-Edit that would be used inside a host, not be a host. And, it would only store a single preset.
Yes, that's what I mean. Our plugin in the host would "host" a modified instance of Axe-Edit or FM9-Edit, or FM3-Edit, etc. IIRC, I felt that one preset per project is not enough, so perhaps a bundle of four to be saved in the project. In addition, it would need to be able to store a note for something like the firmware version of the connected device. I don't want this talk to sound encouraging. This has been set aside since perhaps 2014.

Yes, that's what I mean. Our plugin in the host would "host" a modified instance of Axe-Edit or FM9-Edit, or FM3-Edit, etc. IIRC, I felt that one preset per project is not enough, so perhaps a bundle of four to be saved in the project. In addition, it would need to be able to store a note for something like the firmware version of the connected device. I don't want this talk to sound encouraging. This has been set aside since perhaps 2014.

Hmmm, that's not what I'm asking for in this thread. Each instance stores a single preset. You can have as many instances in the project as you would like.

I assuming the firmware version number is already included in the preset format. If it isn't, it should be :).

Also, while Axe-Edit in a plugin would be nice, considering how long this wish has languished, perhaps a smaller scale idea, where the plugin simply sends/receives a preset would be a more realistic objective. Any editing would still be the purview of the Axe-Edit app.

+ 1
I was just going to create a wish thread but I see that has been already detailed.
I totally agree with you @GlennO, I have the exact "need" when using my DAW and recording guitars..!

As a starter for a smooth DAW integration, it would be very nice if the Axe-FX could send the data that is received from the Expression Pedals as MIDI CC through the USB and the MIDI Outputs. That would allow to record the CC data of the expression pedals for reamping purposes.

Since Roland/Boss MIDI gear has that feature, I currently have to do that by connecting the expression pedals to the Boss SY-1000 instead of the Axe-FX, send the CC to the Axe-FX with a MIDI cable fom the SY-1000 MIDI output, and record the MIDI CC at the DAW through the SY1000 USB (while simultaneouslly recording the audio form the Axe-FX USB)

As a starter for a smooth DAW integration, it would be very nice if the Axe-FX could send the data that is received from the Expression Pedals as MIDI CC through the USB and the MIDI Outputs. That would allow to record the CC data of the expression pedals for reamping purposes.

Since Roland/Boss MIDI gear has that feature, I currently have to do that by connecting the expression pedals to the Boss SY-1000 instead of the Axe-FX, send the CC to the Axe-FX with a MIDI cable fom the SY-1000 MIDI output, and record the MIDI CC at the DAW through the SY1000 USB (while simultaneouslly recording the audio form the Axe-FX USB)
I hadn't yet tried to record the pedal MIDI but am disappointed that it cannot be done directly. Even my old Line6 Pod XT Live from way back could do that. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom