Wish DAW Plugin editor

GlennO

Axe-Master
A problem with recording an outboard modeler like an AxeFX is keeping track of what preset was used on each track in a song. This is important if you need to come back later to punch in or overdub a track and you want to use the same preset as was originally used. Manual schemes to handle this problem like saving the .syx file with the name of the track fall apart when tracks get renamed, deleted, or when you do anything that makes it difficult to determine which preset goes with which track. A better solution is needed.

What if there was an editor for the AxeFX that could be run as a plugin on a track? The editor would work just like AxeEdit for loading presets from a library into the AxeFX or editing a preset. However, when the DAW song is saved, the AxeFX editor plugin would save the AxeFX preset in the DAW song. That way, you could open the song at a later date, open the plugin for a particular track and it would have the preset that was saved. With the press of a button, that preset could be loaded into the AxeFX and you'd be ready to record your punch-in or overdub with the same preset that was used when originally recording the track.

A couple of notes:

- This is not suggesting a plugin version of the AxeFX. It's just a plugin version of AxeEdit.

- Anticipating a “what about”: firmware updates since the track was recorded shouldn’t be a concern. This feature is intended to allow you to come back tomorrow or next week, while you’re still actively working on the project, and record a punch-in or new take with the same preset. Over a short time span like that, you won’t have to worry about a firmware update changing your tone. It is not intended to save your work for posterity so you can resume work on your project some time in the distant future. If you do that, the preset may or may not sound the same due to firmware changes.

- There are some minor technical issues to be resolved, like how to handle multiple instances of such a plugin in a song. Obviously only one can be in control of the AxeFX at a time, so it will be important to enforce that.

- This was posted in another thread a while ago, but got buried in confusion about what was being suggested, so I'm reposting it here so there is a clear record of the Wish.

You could use Midi Program Change to keep track of the preset you used in a song.

That only works if the preset is present in one of the 512 slots of the AxeFX. Perhaps when recording you needed to make an adjustment to the preset, or perhaps the preset was loaded from your library on your computer and was never in one of the preset slots on the AxeFX, or perhaps the preset slot was later overwritten on the AxeFX. Storing the preset in the DAW song is the only way to reliably archive it.

I like your idea, if there's a way to create Axe Edit as (essentially) a VST or AU that could work as a plugin. And if doing so wouldn't open the code up to being hacked (which is one of the big reasons Cliff has stated for not creating AFX plugins).

What I do is put a note on each guitar track I record w/ the Preset #, any changes I made to it, and even which guitar I used. For example I'll enter "17-7 JC120 + FunkGEQ & ... SE25 mid" which tells me the preset, that I added a GEQ, and then which guitar I used - in this case my PRS 25th Ann. SE on the middle position. (In Reason you can do this a couple of different ways that don't interfere w/ the main sequencer tracks so I can still call them "Rhythm Left", "Big Solo", etc. I'm sure most DAWs have some sort of notes field?)

If I edit or rearrange my presets, then I might have to search for it (of course I always run backups before I move stuff around ;-). And as you said, firmware updates may change the sound as well. Your suggestion is much better because it's self-contained, but at least this way I know what I did, and I don't have to keep some separate text file with the info, remember what that song used to be called before I renamed it, etc.

Could snapshots not be used for what you're talking about? Make a folder before recording and save the snapshots to be recalled later?

Entirely spitballing as it's not a feature I've actually used yet :expressionless:

Could snapshots not be used for what you're talking about? Make a folder before recording and save the snapshots to be recalled later?

Unfortunately not. As I mentioned above, any scheme based on saving .syx files quickly devolves into an exercise in frustration for all but the simplest of recording projects.

I can get on board if it's just for preset recall but as soon as you veer into full integration of outboard gear i.e. Ala Access with the TI it seems to become a buggy mess.

I would also like this.

And... nice if the plugin/utility somehow made capturing a companion dry track as an automatic side-effect as part of a 're-amping assistant'. I say that in ignorance, having not yet gone through re-amping myself. For now I'm lazy and either record from an Axe preset, or record dry and use DAW plugins. If re-amping (both capture and later re-amping) was made trivial, I'd always use the Axe knowing I can later change my mind about that perfect preset and follow up with Axe re-amping or even DAW plugin re-amping. [Or, maybe I can just stop being lazy and figure out re-amping ;)]

This wouldn't even have to be a plugin version of AxeEdit - just a stripped down version of the FractalBot functionality to save a single preset would be fine. I don't mind using the front panel, or AxeEdit to create the sound, but there's currently no good solution for saving the preset with the song.

This pain point could be resolved if we had a plugin with a 'Receive current preset' button and a manual 'Send current preset' button which automatically triggers on loading of the project. It would probably also need the dropdown to select which device to send/receive.

Back
Top Bottom