DAW Opinion

I got Ableton Live 10 Std. and feel it's mega clunky for every single thing I try to do. Was this a mistake or am I just not getting it? I started with the Cakewalk series in the very early 2000s and then did the Sonar thing, messed with Reaper and in my race to put a stuido together I just pulled the trigger on Ableton and now I think I goofed, it seems so DJi-sh. About ready to toss in the towel. The whole workflow/UI seems so foreign to the other DAWs.

Another vote for Reaper. Been using it since 2012'ish after HATING my experience with Pro Tools (UGH!). My DAW path was:

Cake Walk Home Audio
Cake Walk Studio
Sonar
Sonar XL
Sonar 3 XL Producer
Acid Latin
Acid Pro
Pro Tools 9
Pro Tools 10
Reaper
Reaper
Reaper
Reaper
Reaper

YOu get my drift, I'm sure. =)

YMMV
WOW! You definitely experienced some pain!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. One more question for anyone who has specifically used BOTH Garageband and Reaper. Do you have an opinion on which one is easier to use?

I've only used Garage Band on an iPad and found it extremely rudimentary. Easy to use? Absolutely, but that version felt extremely limited. On a full blown Mac system may be a completely different story, so I'll have to defer to others who've used it on that platform.

I also won't lie about the learning curve for Reaper. For me, coming from so many other DAW applications, I had both an advantage, and a disadvantage. I understood basic functionality and flows for most of them, so it wasn't terribly difficult to look for similar functionality and create a custom key mapping for my favorite functions. On the flip side, Reaper includes *so* many options to customize, it felt a little daunting. That said, for someone just coming into Reaper and learning it from the ground up from the get-go without having too much experience with a myriad of other DAW's might find it far easier to get up and running after watching a few videos. There are a TON of instructional videos out there for Reaper. My favorite being Kenny Gioia's "Reaper Mania" on YouTube. HUGE asset for learning the in's-and-out's of Reaper.

Whichever way you decide to go you'll be more knowledgeable, and have a broader range of experience to apply to future DAW choices. You really can't go wrong.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom