DAW level

torkolort

Inspired
When I record or import tracks, I always have to bring the level down to avoid clipping. Doesn't have to be my recording, if I import other songs or isolated tracks, they are usually way too loud to playback. One track may be fine, but as soon as I mix in several tracks, e.g. recording over a backing track, I can't have it as loud as I want. Which also leads to my recordings beeing way too low. This happens in both Cubase, Logic and GarageBand. And with different audio interfaces. What am I doing wrong?

What's clipping? The master in all programs? What do you mean by "can't have it as loud as you want"?

Pull down tracks so that the master is not overloaded. Strip a limiter across the master to control peaks, and adjust that limiter for desired loudness.

Yes the master is clipping. So I have to bring that or each track down. What I mean is when I export a project, I want the same level as a normal recording would have. Let's say I import an original track. It's clipping, so I bring the level down just barely below the clipping limit. Then I export it, and I have to bring the volume on my speakers up to get it as loud as the original.

I have no idea what a limiter is, will have to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom