David Gilmour & Black Strat (Q7)

Great job. Sounds pretty close.

On my system, sounds a little bright in the highs (maybe too much presence) and the lower mid notes don't quite have that David Gilmour rounded, hollow sort of tone - that may be a technique difference (tone is in the hands :)).

Sounds awesome. Had I not checked it back to back with the album, probably couldn't hear the difference. Thanks!

Great job. Sounds pretty close.

On my system, sounds a little bright in the highs (maybe too much presence) and the lower mid notes don't quite have that David Gilmour rounded, hollow sort of tone - that may be a technique difference (tone is in the hands :)).

Sounds awesome. Had I not checked it back to back with the album, probably couldn't hear the difference. Thanks!

Lower mids are definitely different from his in the recording. I tried hard to get closer but ended up giving up about them.

Maybe I'm limited about Muff in Axe Fx, maybe is the IRs I'm using that didn't match his cab/micing in the lower mids, and maybe it's just me: fingers, ears and everything else, haha.

Thanks for the comments!

You're welcome. Just to be clear, though - GREAT!

I'm not sure about this, but I think the hollow round tone in the lower mids is mostly in DG's picking technique. Seems like maybe a "hard, but lingering" pick attack, with some compression to round it off. Sometimes I feel like I do this naturally, others, I fight it. Folks ask me how I get it, but I don't really know - just always been there for me.

Sounds great. Nice playing and tone. Saw him last year at Madison Square Garden. It was amazing. Would love to take your preset for a spin!

Any tips for this patch George regarding which drives and amps?

Yours is pretty damn close, im struggling but slowly making progress tweaking

Any tips for this patch George regarding which drives and amps?

Yours is pretty damn close, im struggling but slowly making progress tweaking

Hello, sure!
Signal path was something like: Comp -> Muff -> Hiwatt -> Cab -> Flanger -> Delay -> Reverb

Ah ok - thanks.

A pretty “Gilmour”authentic fx / amp selection then

Yes, I tried to keep the same concept. I'm not sure if he actually used the Hiwatt in this recording, but I always like how Hiwatt sounds for Gilmour tones.

Ive been using the stock Hiwatt and Starfinder in the Axe III

Hooking up my Cornish P1 later to help dial in

Ive been using the stock Hiwatt and Starfinder in the Axe III

Hooking up my Cornish P1 later to help dial in
Yeah... I do that too. I plug the actual analog pedal in the Axe loop and try to replicate the sound. I think it’s a good strategy to set everything as much as possible like in real world.

I can pretty much replicate the Rams head sound into the Axe Muff using the advanced parameters but other pedals like Tube Driver sounds a lot different in the Axe.

Actually I have 2 different era tube drivers and none of them sound like the one in Axe.

Ive got mine going straight in the front end - not tried pedals in the Axe loop yet to see the difference

Funny you mention the Tube Driver - I have not had one for years and from memory thought the Axe 3 sounded good. I will have to borrow a friends to A/B as its been too long

I use it in the loop to make it easier for A/B'ing, but depending what your trying to replicate, put before the Axe could be more authentic (because of pedal's impedance).

I have one new BK Butler TD with BIAS and another from 80s that is exactly the same model Gilmour used in Division Bell / Pulse (Chandler & BK name together on it). They sound very different from each other.

AFAIK, the 4 knobs TD is modeled after the actual BK Butler version.
It makes sense as it sounds much more like my new one, but I can't get a good clean TD sound like Gilmour does for boosting other drive pedals the same way I can get with the real thing.

At the moment ive got my pedals in my Skrydstrup switcher / looper and the AxeFx in the last loop so easy enough to A/B with MIDI
Can also select between amp or studio monitors or both (I make a second path off the main AxeFX path just before the amp / cab blocks that goes to a second output to my real amp)

Which TD do you prefer??

I notice Gilmour using the Chandler / BK version on last tour for low gain sounds along with the 2 new ones for more gain

Nice! We’re almost in the same boat! I also use my pedals in a midi switcher (GCX), however in my case the Axe is out of the loop because it’s always on. I’ve sold every tube amp I had (including a 72 Hiwatt Custom 100).

I prefer much more the old TD. It really sound good for 90’s gilmour tone. Barely use the new one. Maybe that’s the reason I’m always struggling/tweaking the TD model in the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom