David Bowie "Heroes"

hgwy407

Inspired
Ok Axe junkies and brainiacs, what effect do you think would work best for the Ebow-ish sound on the song Heroes from David Bowie? Any input would be beyond appreciated. As always, thank you!

You're probably asking for how to accomplish this without an e-bow. If that's not the case and you already have an e-bow, here's my approach:

I played this song with my band last week. The e-bow adds a lot of grit to the sound on it's own. I used my edge of breakup DC30 patch with just a compressor and some heavy delay + reverb and an ambient effect (using the multidelay block. actually it's copied directly from a preset from simeon's delay blocks collection). On it's own, it's a relatively clean. I think I have the gain at 12 o'clock on the DC30.

Doesn't sound exactly like the record, but it's kind of in the same vein

Here's a clip from a room mic + board feed from the gig. Please forgive the sloppy e-bowing. I just got my e-bow the day before and hadn't gotten the technique down. I know I'm playing it wrong too.

You're probably asking for how to accomplish this without an e-bow. If that's not the case and you already have an e-bow, here's my approach:

I played this song with my band last week. The e-bow adds a lot of grit to the sound on it's own. I used my edge of breakup DC30 patch with just a compressor and some heavy delay + reverb and an ambient effect (using the multidelay block. actually it's copied directly from a preset from simeon's delay blocks collection). On it's own, it's a relatively clean. I think I have the gain at 12 o'clock on the DC30.

Doesn't sound exactly like the record, but it's kind of in the same vein

Here's a clip from a room mic + board feed from the gig. Please forgive the sloppy e-bowing. I just got my e-bow the day before and hadn't gotten the technique down. I know I'm playing it wrong too.

Great Job, have you got the preset?

Great Job, have you got the preset?

This probably isn't the exact one I used, but it should be close. Back when I did this, I used a single preset for everything, and it sort of continuously evolved.

Probably scene 3 or 4, with the comp, reverb, and multidelay turned on.

Preset from an AxeFX II XL

Attachments

• RFZ DC30 9.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom