Daughter wants a record player for christmas!

Sixstring

Legend!
Ok, like the title says but I have not owned a piece of vinyl in decades which is rather odd seeing how I used to work at the one of two places on the planet that makes or used to make Lacquer recording master blanks.

I haven't a clue... does anyone have an idea what is good out there that doesn't break the bank? She said she wanted an all in one and in my mind throws a red flag right off the bat. I looked at Sweetwater and some of the lower end tables, Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB-BK Direct Drive Turntable with USB - Black. But this would involve more equipment in order for it to work which is fine as I have an older Onkyo tuner/amp and speakers I could throw in. Any other suggestions?

Visit https://www.crutchfield.com/

Their customer service is way beyond what you'd expect from big box stores or local shops. I used to own several audio components (tuner-enabled turntable, CD player) purchased from them. Still own my stereo receiver, which is over 10 years old. Don't listen to it much, but it's there if needs be. I use the receiver with my audio interface to put my iTunes library through my corner bookshelf speakers instead of my computer monitors when guests visit. It's not high-end audiophile, but gets the job done.

Did you try and talk her out of it? We had CDs 40 years ago and jumped for joy records and cassettes were going to die.
No she is dead set on vinyl! I figure if she wants it then it needs to be something decent! I can't stand buying things that wind up in the landfill.

Get this one. Readily available, fair price, great features including built in preamp, bluetooth, USB for direct recording, and good durability given the way young people use things.

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/audio-components/turntables/p/pslx310bt
I like this idea and if she wants to get speakers later on she can.

I like the idea of that Sony, but I wonder about cart compatibility. I also wonder how much it actually matters for a first turntable.

FWIW, I've only ever owned Technics DJ turntables. So, maybe it's just not a problem and that tonearm will let you attach the cartridge you want.

My daughter also wants a turntable to replace the cheap suitcase type she has now. I bought her an Audio-Technica with a pair of powered speakers with Bluetooth, but I’m not sure it’s the same model as the one you listed.

If you want something really good but very pricy that you will have for many life times ahead, check out VPI. I have two of them and they are handmade here in the USA. www.vpiindustries.com
Really cool! but way out of my price range not to mention we are talking about a 26 year old just wants to play a record, nowhere close being being an Audiophile. I just want to get her something that will play records for a few years.

The Sony looks to be ok as does the A.T. If they last that long I would be surprised. Reviews on Amazon (some) are complaining about quality issues but the majority are pretty good with both tables. The TA has a few more goodies on it over the Sony but it's $150 less as well.

Really cool! but way out of my price range not to mention we are talking about a 26 year old just wants to play a record, nowhere close being being an Audiophile. I just want to get her something that will play records for a few years.

The Sony looks to be ok as does the A.T. If they last that long I would be surprised. Reviews on Amazon (some) are complaining about quality issues but the majority are pretty good with both tables. The TA has a few more goodies on it over the Sony but it's $150 less as well.
Why do you suppose she wants a turntable if not for vinyl's audio qualities?

No: it snap/crackle/pops just like any other via BT or direct.
As an aside (for both you and OP), if you/daughter don't know this already, I once watched a video in which a technique was shown how to improve the sound, and lessen those 'pops' by spreading good old Elmers yellow glue onto the record, then peeling it off after it dries. I didn't try it myself, but he did do a before-and-after comparison, and it did sound better.

As an aside (for both you and OP), if you/daughter don't know this already, I once watched a video in which a technique was shown how to improve the sound, and lessen those 'pops' by spreading good old Elmers yellow glue onto the record, then peeling it off after it dries. I didn't try it myself, but he did do a before-and-after comparison, and it did sound better.

You need one of these: :p
1671468974151.png

My grandson just wanted good ole school airpods with bluetooth5 connectivity, noise cancellation, spatial audio, and dynamic head tracking - thank goodness, an easy gift to buy.

Back
Top Bottom