Daughter wants a record player for christmas!

FWIW, I would avoid bluetooth wherever possible.

Unless I'm mistaken, it still isn't possible to transmit to bluetooth losslessly. IDK...sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one who can hear it, but I hate lossy compression for music.

FWIW, I would avoid bluetooth wherever possible.

Unless I'm mistaken, it still isn't possible to transmit to bluetooth losslessly. IDK...sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one who can hear it, but I hate lossy compression for music.
I hear a difference in the car now that apple is lossless. And that’s in the car with all the distractions and noise.

Because vinyl is trendy again. All the cool kids use it...
My daughter wanted a Polaroid camera... I pointed out that she has a phone that takes better photos without film, without waiting, plus it can be edited and then shared instantly... The Polaroid sits in a drawer now.

Trendy is right. I doubt vinyl audio quality is a factor.

Next thing you know, they will be asking for tube amps.

Why do you suppose she wants a turntable if not for vinyl's audio qualities?
She likes all of the old rock that I grew up on and all of the stories I used to tell her about having to pick up the needle and move it back to learn that one part. I think she justs wants to live it, just to have that experience.

Spoke with her about it this evening and she wants to wait on it, I think she started looking at how much records cost and that changed her mind. So for now I don't need to worry about it, at least for this Christmas.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

She likes all of the old rock that I grew up on and all of the stories I used to tell her about having to pick up the needle and move it back to learn that one part. I think she justs wants to live it, just to have that experience.

It is a fun experience. I like that I have the option. Well...usually. I moved some stuff around and my turntable isn't hooked up until I can find a preamp with balanced output...or give up and use my old Rane DJ mixer just for one preamp...I might do that just because.

Trendy is right. I doubt vinyl audio quality is a factor.

So....there is something cool about it that seems like it's separate from just committing to listening to albums and kind of having to babysit it. I honestly think that's most of it.

But, people have been complaining about digital audio not sounding right for 40 years. I think they're wrong; I flat-out prefer digital at least as a storage & playback system. But, the distortion that comes from vinyl playback is (generally) a nice sounding distortion. And when I listen to cheap digital stuff into a good playback system (like the headphone adapter for my phone), the noise it introduces does sound worse than the noise from a lead-in groove, even if the lead-in groove's noise is a lot louder.

Back
Top Bottom