Das Metal - HOLY HELL!

johnrobbfl

Inspired
Now that I've had a few weeks to figure out the Axe-Fx, I just started going through each preset today (all of them).

What the hell is the Das Metal all about? What amp is this supposed to replicate / emulate / disembowel?

WOW! My neighbors probably had no idea I played guitar - "had" being the key word here. Das Metal through the Atomic Wedge is incredible!

\m/

The Atomic is made for Axe-Fx & via versa :)
I use the Atomic and a JBL XTI 300 Subwoofer as my main Studio Monitors now ... they sound so well compared to my Genelec

I just used Das metal for the first time to record a solo for my new album. Crazy-ass high noise floor, but I guess you don't get that sound without it. I used the stock preset, with the multi-tap delay turned on for a sort of 'Perfect Circle' sound. Really effin' love it! ('cept for the wall-o-noise that comes up as the high notes die out).

It was with my 'Epiphone Frank Zappa Project Object SG' guitar, in split-coil mode. Unique tone for sure - not anything like a Strat or Tele, not anything like an SG either. Tasty!

I just used Das metal for the first time to record a solo for my new album. Crazy-ass high noise floor, but I guess you don't get that sound without it. I used the stock preset, with the multi-tap delay turned on for a sort of 'Perfect Circle' sound. Really effin' love it! ('cept for the wall-o-noise that comes up as the high notes die out).

It was with my 'Epiphone Frank Zappa Project Object SG' guitar, in split-coil mode. Unique tone for sure - not anything like a Strat or Tele, not anything like an SG either. Tasty!

Does the new Intelligent Gate help with the higher noise floor?

I haven't gotten the newest FW, but I was disappointed to see that the Intelligent gate is only on the input gate, not in the gate block. If I turn my guitar's volume all the way down, this patch still makes a LOT of noise all on it's own, so I think you'd have to put a gate (preferably the new one, from what I read) near the end of the patch, after the amp and anything else that's pushing the gain way up (I am not near my Axe, and don't know the patch intimately). I am hoping that Cliff will add the intelligent gate function to the noise gate block itself.
Does the new Intelligent Gate help with the higher noise floor?

I haven't gotten the newest FW, but I was disappointed to see that the Intelligent gate is only on the input gate, not in the gate block. If I turn my guitar's volume all the way down, this patch still makes a LOT of noise all on it's own, so I think you'd have to put a gate (preferably the new one, from what I read) near the end of the patch, after the amp and anything else that's pushing the gain way up (I am not near my Axe, and don't know the patch intimately). I am hoping that Cliff will add the intelligent gate function to the noise gate block itself.

If your patch makes noise with the guitar turned all the way down then your gate settings aren't high enough ...

If your patch makes noise with the guitar turned all the way down then your gate settings aren't high enough ...

+1. You need the gate at the input most in that scenario before those gain stages get a hold of it and turn it into a hissing mess.

IIRC, the DAS METAL is based off a VH4 schematic, whereas the V2, V3, V4 is based off the actual amp... or maybe the other way around?

This makes no sense to me: I have the volume pedal off. There's NO SIGNAL going into the Axe. Therefore the source of the noise is within the gain stages of the patch, not from the guitar, so an input gate isn't going to help. A gate after all the gain might.

Please explain.

Hi - Noise generally comes from the circuitry of the analog to digital converters and even with the guitar unplugged the a/d generates noise. If you disconnected the a/d the Axe should be almost silent whatever the gain. The input gate is in the digital domain and should shutdown any noise from the a/d giving you a quiet signal when there is no input. Try it - the new gate works very well as people have said.

I will give it a go. I tend to hate gates in general and globally have it off, but I will try.
Hi - Noise generally comes from the circuitry of the analog to digital converters and even with the guitar unplugged the a/d generates noise. If you disconnected the a/d the Axe should be almost silent whatever the gain. The input gate is in the digital domain and should shutdown any noise from the a/d giving you a quiet signal when there is no input. Try it - the new gate works very well as people have said.

Back
Top Bottom