Das Metal, Herbie and Dizzy

I like them both, and I like them a lot. I'm a high gainer and these two are becoming my new favorite amp models fast. VH-4 is a bit more focused with a lot more pick attack whereas the Herbert is more round and "full" to my ears. I think both can be used in most situations even though one might be better than the other in a specific situation. I made a couple of clips that I posted in a different thread but I'll post them here as well for you brutality fix :D It's the same clip, one with Herbert and the other with VH-4, so you can compare.

Herbert Ch.3

VH-4 Ch.4

try the Dizzy ch3, drive at 4, MV at 5, get the depth up to fill out the low end...
then hit the magic buttons.. saturation and boost...

sling it through a big rig and you'll be effectively nuking your street...

which is nice...

I quickly ran through the new amps lastnight. I think most of the German amps sound somewhat thin to me. I did however dig the 3rd channel of the Dizzy. I was able to get close to that Tool 10,000 days tone i like so much. I will definitely be spending more time with this model in the future.

I quickly ran through the new amps lastnight. I think most of the German amps sound somewhat thin to me.

in metal music what you describe as 'thin' is actually the solution...
you need aggressive mids and highs...
the low end needs to be real tight and devoid of flub / bloom..
and don't forget that metallers will track the riffs at least twice..
more often than not, three or four times..
the low end will accumulate via the tracking, but by virtue of the nature of the source tones, the low end will remain tight..

you also need to leave room for the bass.. this is where the low end power comes from..

this is why the German amps work so well
it's all about the bigger picture

I'll have to play with the cabs a bit perhaps. I've got the Herbie sounding super dope. In fact I think its my new favorite go to.
I'm more of a high to medium gain player. Getting awesome tone all around. What a step Up!

Still not getting beefy with the Dizzy unless I use the fat switch or turn off the bright switch. I'm used to using the bright switch, which is a major factor I know. Only used my custom IR's so far.

Turn off the bright and up the presence ... worked better for me like that.

Done that. I wasn't getting where I wanted to go with the bright off, but I've since gotten myself sorted out. Thanks.

Also as Clarky pointed out, I'm not going to be having the tone on the bass heavy side once its in the mix due to the nature of things. I like to solo with lots of beef, but its not practical with a bass guitar or any other bottom end conflict. Bottom end conflict-couldn't have planned a phrase like that:lol

One thing I am getting is a lot more hiss on the tail end of notes with longer decay. I know one might say turn up the gate, but Das Metal does not have as much with the same gate settings. I notice it more with the Dizzy and the triode plate frequency is the only thing that strongly affects it that I could find.

...but its not practical with a bass guitar or any other bottom end conflict. Bottom end conflict-couldn't have planned a phrase like that:lol

And that is what it shall be know as hence forth! :lol
I cant wait to say that in a band environment.

@kostein: they both sound good, but Herbie still sounds way meatier. (Coming back to my clips, I'm realizing they sound like shit...but due to something new I already figured that out, and have fixed it a bit.)

And that is what it shall be know as hence forth! :lol
I cant wait to say that in a band environment.

The only conflict I be havin is if there ain't enough!

I'd written off my VH4 patches...and then happened back across them (I'd 'nulled' them, but not initialized them), and I was all 'oh wait'. So here's one I think is pretty decent. Some might think thin, but I think in line with what clarky was saying. Actually, this one is fronted by a pedal; the clips/patches below are without and hence a bit thicker. Also, as someone mentioned above about turning it up, the same applies to this clip. I think you'll be surprised how it jumps at you, despite my six-string standard tuning.

Here's clarky's suggestion, albeit with my own eq'ing:

Same patche minus the boost and saturation; preamp gain maxed:

Patches attached for those curious.

Attachments

• VH4 CH4 +DRV ULTRA.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
  • VH4 CH4 clarky.syx
  • VH4 CH4 ULTRA.syx
Last edited:
I finally gave these all a test drive tonight. Man every channel has something new and different to offer up. Loving them each. I feel like I just got new amps. These have an amazing ability to show off he individual notes which make up my chords even wide open. Every note is distinct, individual yet part of the whole and heard as individual parts of the triads and augmented/diminished notes. To me this is rare in modelers. I am very happy with these new amp versions.

Done that. I wasn't getting where I wanted to go with the bright off, but I've since gotten myself sorted out. Thanks.

Also as Clarky pointed out, I'm not going to be having the tone on the bass heavy side once its in the mix due to the nature of things. I like to solo with lots of beef, but its not practical with a bass guitar or any other bottom end conflict. Bottom end conflict-couldn't have planned a phrase like that:lol

One thing I am getting is a lot more hiss on the tail end of notes with longer decay. I know one might say turn up the gate, but Das Metal does not have as much with the same gate settings. I notice it more with the Dizzy and the triode plate frequency is the only thing that strongly affects it that I could find.

You don't have to turn the bright off, you can lower the bright cap value. I often do this when I want the bite of the bright cap but not so much of the thin and brittleness that can come from high values.
Also the das metal has a high cut of 7000hz, you can try turning down the high cut of the v4 (it is not one to one though because of tone matching)
The presence freq is going to make a big difference as well. On the das metal it is 3000 while on the v4 it is 1000.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom