Das Metal, Herbie and Dizzy

Stadanko

Inspired
Wondering if anyone was noticing that between the three, The Dizzy has been thinner and brighter for me. Despite anything I say here, I'm still totally jacked up about the new stuff. I was focused on the change in dynamic content and after hours of playing hadn't noticed that the Dizzy 4 was really bright and harsh in comparison to the Das metal I had been using before.

I found the Herbert 3 to be way more in line with the Das Metal voicing. I realize that settings can send these things all over the map and thus people will have their own subjective experiences, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see what others were thinking about it.

So what up y'all!!!:mrgreen

I'm running the amps simple with some moderate parallel reverb. I'm using my own IR created from an Engl slant 2X12 (V30 and G12H30). I do Love my impulse. I'm setup in my studio for mow with Dynaudio BM15 passives. Great test bed for me. I am really happy with the Das Metal and Herbert voicings, just scratching my head with the Dizzy.

Wondering if anyone was noticing that between the three, The Dizzy has been thinner and brighter for me. Despite anything I say here, I'm still totally jacked up about the new stuff. I was focused on the change in dynamic content and after hours of playing hadn't noticed that the Dizzy 4 was really bright and harsh in comparison to the Das metal I had been using before.

I found the Herbert 3 to be way more in line with the Das Metal voicing. I realize that settings can send these things all over the map and thus people will have their own subjective experiences, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see what others were thinking about it.

So what up y'all!!!:mrgreen

I'm running the amps simple with some moderate parallel reverb. I'm using my own IR created from an Engl slant 2X12 (V30 and G12H30). I do Love my impulse. I'm setup in my studio for mow with Dynaudio BM15 passives. Great test bed for me. I am really happy with the Das Metal and Herbert voicings, just scratching my head with the Dizzy.

Try Ch-3 on the Dizzy... That's where the magic happens.

On my real vh4 i use channel 3 with bass at 4 o'clock, mids at noon, treble at 2:30, gain about 1:00. the presence at 1:00 and deep at noon (both are amp-wide controls, not per channel). with these channel settings and dizzy v4-3, the bass was a little flubby. with the compression knob at about 35 (stock was 30%), i really liked it. still need to dial it in a bit, but it's an awesome model.

Thanks all. I'll keep playing with it cause I know in terms of modeling the new Diezels are much improved. I just assumed that Channel 4 was gonna be it.

Also I'm using my Les Pauls right now and as with everything, everybody is going to get different results based on what axe they're using.

Sweet....

Don't know if you guys have played with the Herbert yet but it is all that and more!8)

I have the dizzy v4 chan 4 dialed in sounding meaty as hell....mess with some other IR's. I love the dizzy. Herbie is excellent too....just ended up getting the dizzy dialed in first, because it was the first new amp sim I tried.

Digging both a lot. Good for metal, but also really good for mid-gain rock sounds.
Two of my new favorite amps for sure.

I'll have to play with the cabs a bit perhaps. I've got the Herbie sounding super dope. In fact I think its my new favorite go to.
I'm more of a high to medium gain player. Getting awesome tone all around. What a step Up!

Still not getting beefy with the Dizzy unless I use the fat switch or turn off the bright switch. I'm used to using the bright switch, which is a major factor I know. Only used my custom IR's so far.

I've been using the VH4-3 with the Recto 412 RW cab and a 57 mic. Getting massive tones that are crystal clear in a mix! Only thing I'm doing with the VH4 is turning up the damp, turning down the xformer match and messing with the bias a bit till it hits the sweet spot. I'm also running the master fairly high, around 6.3 and it fattens up nicely!

I love the Herbie 3 the best but the dizzie 3 is great too! My old patches are not as good as they were however. I went back to 6.02 for my gig last night and tonight put 7 back in and I wish there was someone who could tell me how to set it up so that my old amps could be like they were and still have the new amps. Might have to get a tone match for the new amps and go back to 6.02. Wish that would work. They just sound flubbery to me and I use a lot of patches so I don't want to start over, it would be a big job. Cliff, can we have 6.02 with the new amps? HA!

I've been using the VH4-3 with the Recto 412 RW cab and a 57 mic. Getting massive tones that are crystal clear in a mix! Only thing I'm doing with the VH4 is turning up the damp, turning down the xformer match and messing with the bias a bit till it hits the sweet spot. I'm also running the master fairly high, around 6.3 and it fattens up nicely!

Playing through headphones cause its late here. I won't be totally sure till tomorrow, but it the master volume appears to helping lots on the Dizzy. I'm already in the habit of turning down the Xformer Match a bit along with the damp up most of the time. I'm liking what I'm hearing right now anyways. Thanks GoatLord.

Playing through headphones cause its late here. I won't be totally sure till tomorrow, but it the master volume appears to helping lots on the Dizzy. I'm already in the habit of turning down the Xformer Match a bit along with the damp up most of the time. I'm liking what I'm hearing right now anyways. Thanks GoatLord.

No problem. I definitely noticed with this one that it's a bit thin until you turn it up a bit! I'm just loving this amp!

I use two amps parallel mono setup (no cab sims..strait to Matrix GT1000FX power amp and Cornford V30 2x12 cab) :
Dizzy V4 4 plus Solo 100 Lead .
I used to use Solo 100 Lead and Das Metal till yesterday..

Yesterday I tried all Herbie an all Dizzy channels and ended up with this setup..
I keep Dizzy's Master Volume at 8.00 and Drive 3.20,Mid Fat switch angaged on both amps..Usally I boost some low end too..
I found out that Solo 100 Lead adds some nice roundnes to the tone while playing live loud with drums etc....

With this setup I've got smoothnes of Soldano and agression/power of Diesel melted down nicely..

Anyways new Diesel simulations are really good ones :)..
Actually comparing to all others amp models to my ears/taste, they are AMAZING !

Last edited:
Interesting. Haven't played much with the parallel amps. Most of my great breakthroughs have happened thanks to Scott Peterson. He has been incredibly generous with his knowledge like speaker resonance, Xfomer match, parallel near/far cab setup and so on.

I'm gonna work up a clip to show what I'm getting between the three. Mine will be more medium high gain and simple, but will work for demo purposes. I will also post presets, but will have to reference a new post on the preset forum due to the nature of things around here.

Also, I'm hearing the same goodness through my system today with the added master volume. The big difference I'm seeing is that the Dizzy is simply brighter voiced than the Herbie. As I'll demonstrate you can bring them close together in tone by working in opposite directions with regards to the bottom end.

Back in awhile....

Interesting. Haven't played much with the parallel amps. Most of my great breakthroughs have happened thanks to Scott Peterson. He has been incredibly generous with his knowledge like speaker resonance, Xfomer match, parallel near/far cab setup and so on.

I'm gonna work up a clip to show what I'm getting between the three. Mine will be more medium high gain and simple, but will work for demo purposes. I will also post presets, but will have to reference a new post on the preset forum due to the nature of things around here.

Also, I'm hearing the same goodness through my system today with the added master volume. The big difference I'm seeing is that the Dizzy is simply brighter voiced than the Herbie. As I'll demonstrate you can bring them close together in tone by working in opposite directions with regards to the bottom end.

Back in awhile....

Dizzy is a little brighter but also has some more roar in the tone..and incredible attack when I play my "Flight of the Bumble Bee" etc..
I can't remeber this kind of punch even from my best tube amps I had before ! ..I just made a setup with XY on my MFC-101, where AMP2in my setup X is Dizzy and Y is Herbie..Great idea with this XY thing !

I tried today to make those two amps sounding closer brightneswise with ADV tab (DEFINITION) ,and with 4.5 on Herbie they sound pretty close..I guess in opposite directions it should work too..But with my XY setup I like them to sound deferent :)..
Anyway...I can't stop bloody playing ha ha..

I feel ya. These amps or crushingly awesome. I'm not ultimately looking to match them either, but instead know them better. I'm always drawn to what I can't do with them in the begging, so that's been my starting motive in terms of the bottom end.

My clips won't reflect my ultimate goal in tone terms, working on it now...Also I've been experimenting with running the high frequency down around 850hz in the resonance page at about 3.4 on the gain. This tends to flatten out the upper response bringing the mids more up front. Adds to the bite for me, but that won't be for everyone I'm sure.

So after laboring for hours remembering how to re-amp, upload and post, I've gotten this far. Not really that interesting. I labored to make them almost sound the same, kinda funny. This is why you need to STEP AWAY SOMETIMES!!!!

Anyways, here is a short clip of today's efforts. Not really worth posting presets as I'm sure most people could do this. The gains don't perfectly match either so keep that in mind. The order is Das Metal, Dizzy, and Herbie.

Last edited:

I'm finding VH4 ch3 to be pretty 'deep', adding a bunch of treble and stuff to bring it out. Also, keeping the stock amp advanced settings, and exchanging the R121 for the DYN 57 does wonders. Very mid-rangey, but good clarity all the way down.

However, I'm more into ch4. They're both 'rage-y' sounding, but ch3 just doesn't have the 'push' even with a pedal fronting it, whereas ch4 has (just) enough gain all by itself. And way fat sounding. Add a pedal or graphic eq boost, and it's shattering.

I haven't liked the Das Metall, but just now it seems a bit different. It seems to be in-between VH4 ch3 and ch4, kind of fat, but takes well to a pedal boost. Das Metall sounds more removed, though. Below are both, same amp settings and cab blocks.

I like both but tend toward the VH4.

Last edited:
I took a while to post my last, only after finding out what you're going for. I can remove my post if it necessary. Regardless, I like your tones above, and would favor them in reverse order. Herbie has that CHANG!

Back
Top Bottom