Darkglass B7K Ultra Switches

JH-2

Inspired
Hi everyone,

Would someone with knowledge be able to put in a PEQ Block the Switches (Lo Mids and Hi Mids) of the Darkglass B7K Ultra?

I want to have them with the Blackglass 7K built into the Axe FX but I do not know how to do it.

Thanks

2ym7i2h.jpg

PEQ for Lo Mids would be low-shelf at 250 Hz, high-shelf at 1kHz and 500 Hz would just be a bell type boost.

PEQ for Hi Mids would be bell type boost for 750 HZ, high-shelf at 3kHz and low-shelf at 1.5 kHz.

That's my best guess. I may be totally wrong, though.

It's not described in the manual what Q-factor is used per frequency. I would experiment and see what behaves to your liking.

YEh, Im not failure with the stomp, but im guessing you cant replicate it as easily as the switches, but youd want a 2 x PEQ block with bell curves for each switch at the freq shown in the stomp - so PEQ 1 would replicate the low switch, and have bell curves at 250hz, 500hz and 1KHz - while PEQ 2 would replicate the right hand switch, with bell curves at 750 hz, 3k and 1.5k

You would have to have the 2 freqs your not using (as the switch switches between them) at 0db, while the other would be at "x" db. The "x" value would replicate the rotary control for the mids - however as has been mentioned, youd need to experiment with the Q value of the bell.

Hi everyone,

Would someone with knowledge be able to put in a PEQ Block the Switches (Lo Mids and Hi Mids) of the Darkglass B7K Ultra?

I want to have them with the Blackglass 7K built into the Axe FX but I do not know how to do it.

Thanks

Unless your really good at figuring out the EQ types and have the tech tools to aid you, you might be better off Tone Matching your various favorite switch settings from the B7k, and then creating custom cabinet IRs from them to allow you to "switch" the settings, and use them across any preset. If you're any good at making Tone Matches and you own the pedal, this might get you there faster.

I do not know how to do what you are saying, can you please put it here in the presets that I enclose?

Attachments

• Darkglass B7K Ultra switches.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
All apologies, but my AxeFxII is no longer with me and I don't have access. FWIW, many years ago I did a similar series of Tone Matches of my Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI (another amp/drive model that would be great to see in the AxeFx/AX8/FX8). Tone matching various EQ settings and creating IRs from the Tone Matches worked very well and were very accurate to the real thing.

Here's all about Tone Matching:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Tone-Match-Manual.pdf

I prefer to have the parameters included in the PEQ, it is much more comfortable if you want to change settings. Someone has to know how to do it.

Consider also that these various EQ settings, being within the context of the other settings on the actual B7k pedal, will probably have a highly interactive component that would, for one thing, determine how the overdrive characteristics behave. Not saying this for sure, but I think it only makes sense. Thus adding EQ "switches" as PRE or POST drive treatments might not result in the close replication you seek.

IMHO, preamp-type drives, like the SansAmp and Darkglass products, should be considered as amp model types rather than drives, in order to take advantage of the Amp Block's integrated graphic EQ section and advanced parameters. Either that, or the Drive block itself needs to be updated to allow for this. Otherwise, additional drive block types for the B7k need to be specifically modeled to account for the different switch combinations (sort of what has been done in the Amp block selections, where various channels and switches of Mesa and other amps have got their own discrete model type).

JMHO.

Good Luck!

I think it can be achieved with the equalizer. Those options are simply cuts.

Yes, of course, and maybe I'm over-thinking the sophistication of the B7k. Do you care where those cuts are being made in relation to (and with respect to) the drive (and other) circuits of the pedal? If you don't, then you're all set, I guess. ;-)

Here I set up a quick preset with two PEQ blocks. Block one has the low mids set up on bands 1, 2, and 3. Just have to adjust the gain to taste. And the hi mids are setup on Block 2. Bands 1, 2, and 3. I have them before the pedal. I suppose you could try them after the pedal too. I did this with an AX8 so you may have to convert it. not sure if this is what you want but it's what I could throw together quickly. I've looked around for a spec sheet. I can only find frequencies, I can't find the Q values for that pedal

Attachments

• B7K Switches.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 13
I was thinking maybe you could run the peq blocks in parallel with themselves or in parallel with the pedal too. Depending on how it sounds best to you

I've looked around and couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for and this post seems to be in the same ballpark. I figure it may be useful to map this model out completely. Does anyone know if there is a way to authentically eq hi and lo mids at the same time? Also, does anyone know about where the low cut and tone parameters meet the real values of the switches? I am sure I could figure this out myself if I owned the pedal but part of the excitement I got when it was added was that I didn't need to anymore. I am extremely satisfied with the model in any case, I would just like to know how to use it effectively and most authentically without buying the actual pedal only to experiment.

This last part is less related to the Axe and more the original pedals. Do any of you guys know if the EQ sections (including the switches) of the B7K and Vintage are the same? Because now that the B7k is modelled I may just buy the Vintage Ultra and chain the two for UNLIMITED TOOOOOONE. I appreciate any answers you guys have, these may be my favorite pedals of all time.

dFWIW, many years ago I did a similar series of Tone Matches of my Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI (another amp/drive model that would be great to see in the AxeFx/AX8/FX8). Tone matching various EQ settings and creating IRs from the Tone Matches worked very well and were very accurate to the real thing.

Just curious, did you ever upload these IRs online? I'd love to Check them out.

Back
Top Bottom