Dark Mode for the Forum?

I came in this morning and it was gone...I never got to say goodbye. So "Good-bye semi-dark mode. Thank you for the evening we spent together. Like the things we love the most, sometimes we have to set them free..."

Alright. One more swing at this.

Got constructive critiques, I'm all eyes. But if all you can offer is "it needs more woorrrrrrk" -- well, go type that in the corner over there because that's not helpful in any way, shape or form.

It's available again (possibly for a limited time).

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 12.35.03 PM.png

Alright. One more swing at this.

Got constructive critiques, I'm all eyes. But if all you can offer is "it needs more woorrrrrrk" -- well, go type that in the corner over there because that's not helpful in any way, shape or form.

It's available again (possibly for a limited time).

View attachment 77126
I like it. If it were me, I might chose the to invert the black and grey. Meaning, that the header of the post is black, and the message background dark grey. More like the forum listing page. Other than that, I dig it.

I like it. If it were me, I might chose the to invert the black and grey. Meaning, that the header of the post is black, and the message background dark grey. More like the forum listing page. Other than that, I dig it.
I second this, for the rest it is perfect. Excellent work!

EDIT: actually I think it'd be even better to have the post header in light grey, the body of the post dark grey and backround and page header in black.
But whatever you choose is good for me

Last edited:
I second this, for the rest it is perfect. Excellent work!

EDIT: actually I think it'd be even better to have the post header in light grey, the body of the post dark grey and backround and page header in black.
But whatever you choose is good for me
Your suggestion was really thought through! I like it.

This looks quite good, and the couple bits that were a little low on contrast work well with this one.Screenshot_20210107-115344_Opera.png

The orange links are much better on this darker gray background:
Screenshot_20210107-115552_Opera.png

Or in axe-edit colors

DarkMode2.jpg

PS: I noticed a little issue in the current theme. When typing in the search bar the text is pretty much invisible

Last edited:
This is nice, but it's unlikely I can figure out how to make this work with the template system. It's not straightforward.

PS: I noticed a little issue in the current theme. When typing in the search bar the text is pretty much invisible
If I can figure out which portion of the template controls that search drop down I'll change it, but for now it is what it is.

This is nice, but it's unlikely I can figure out how to make this work with the template system. It's not straightforward.

If I can figure out which portion of the template controls that search drop down I'll change it, but for now it is what it is.
I don't know if it could be useful (maybe you already know this) but in Chrome you can right click "inspect" on any element of a page and it will show the corresponding line in the html code or CSS and you can also (temporarily) edit it in real-time

I don't know if it could be useful (maybe you already know this) but in Chrome you can right click "inspect" on any element of a page and it will show the corresponding line in the html code or CSS and (temporarily) edit it in real-time
Doesn't help. The template system doesn't line up well with CSS class names such that you can work backwards like that. At least, it's not obvious to me.

@DLC86 that's a little closer. Main posts are going to stay (0, 0, 0) for now because it's a property that impacts too much of the site.

Doesn't help. The template system doesn't line up well with CSS class names such that you can work backwards like that. At least, it's not obvious to me.
Got it. Some time ago I built a theme for Prestashop by doing exactly that and I managed to understand the structure, but I don't remember much at this point.. and xenforo is probably different anyway

Back
Top Bottom