Daniel Lanois Inspired Preset

la szum

Axe-Master
After watching the Daniel Lanois Rig Rundown again yesterday, and with recent discussion about
updating the Delay Block, I decided to give a Lanois-inspired Preset with 2 scenes a try. I copped
his Vox and Tweed Deluxe amp settings, along with the Korg SDD-3000 settings he uses with that
in front of his amps. My one issue is that with the FM3 I cannot run a true Lanois wet/dry setup. Boo!
Maybe someone with an AXE-III can modify the settings here and used the Tweed Deluxe for the
wet-side with the SDD in front, and a Vox AC30 for the dry side. Or maybe I ruminate about purchasing
an AXE-III so I can do it my damn self. :)

Like with all things Lanois, playing with your fingers, varying your attack and intensity, will pay great
dividends. You can tame that exploding Tweed thing he has going on. Dig in and it gets bombastic.
So mess around with your volume and tone controls and pickup selection.

Just so you know this sounds best with, and was built around, using a Les Paul style guitar.

Cheers!! 🍻 🍻 🍻

Attachments

• Lanois.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 74
Nice! It is indeed very cool using the Axe-Fx III as you've described.
I definitely think you need one! :p

PS: Experiment with the Deluxe Tweed Jumped model. It's really got that "exploding" quality.

Yes! I do! I do! :)

I was running (and still have in the studio) a wet/dry amp setup. :)

That Jumped model is really great. I was trying to adhere to Daniel's rig
and he doesn't jump the inputs oon his '58 Tweed Deluxe. With an LP you
can still get a lot of that farty/collapsing low-end and sparkling highs! :)

I have a preset for the III. Talked about it here
Thread 'Lanois-ish'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lanois-ish.162172/

Dude!!! That's killer! :)

I love this quote from your post. Really sums up his whole approach to playing--whether on the LP
or his Pedal Steel.

"I had the monitors cranked while recording the guitar. The preset really demands to be played loud and with a light touch. It turns out: I do not have a light touch! :D I found it really hard to hit the notes I wanted cleanly, but to also stay light on those strings. It made for some very interesting phrases as I missed notes or hit things later than I had planned as a result. I used a pick too because I'm not as adept with my finger style on such touch-sensitive electric guitar settings like this."

He doesn't use reverb (whether from the amps or any effect pre- or post-), but I cheated
and threw in a Large Chamber mixed low on the FM3 preset I created just so I could better
replicate that "live" feel of hearing him in a concert setting.

I am using the Deluxe Tweed Jumped with my Nocaster RI. The AB preset is spot with that guitar. I can cover a lot of territory with this one!

Back
Top Bottom