Dang! Wood is expensive these days...

I've always had the impression that a lot of homes in the US are made of wood, whereas over here in the Netherlands the vast majority are made from brick. Actual wooden homes are quite rare here. If true, why is that the case? I've always wondered about that.
House construction always follows whatever natural resource is most abundant.

I’d say there is still a good bit of wood even in a brick home. Mine is block constructed but all the roof trusses, interior walls etc are still wooden.

of course some around here are now doing those cheap and crappy aluminum studs but that is another issue....

I’d say there is still a good bit of wood even in a brick home. Mine is block constructed but all the roof trusses, interior walls etc are still wooden.

of course some around here are now doing those cheap and crappy aluminum studs but that is another issue....
Yeah, here in the southern US, the vast majority of houses are wood framed through and through. Most typical brick houses here are just a brick facade over wood framed walls. Exterior wood framing is inset from the edge of the foundation and the brick is stacked up outside of it after the house is up. The brick is largely cosmetic and not structural. More recently, some even use a thin brick veneer that is put up much like tile work on exterior siding panels. Block construction is more common in commercial construction.

I've always had the impression that a lot of homes in the US are made of wood, whereas over here in the Netherlands the vast majority are made from brick. Actual wooden homes are quite rare here. If true, why is that the case? I've always wondered about that.

Europe was deforested over centuries. We are still working on it here. ;)

It ain’t because trucks aren’t rolling. I just drove I80/90. 100 miles each side of Chicago was 3 lanes bumper to bumper Semi trucks. I’ve driven this road dozens of times and never saw it like this.
4F13D9DA-1EA7-4AA3-9ACB-3DCE562162D5.jpeg

There is nothing cheap and crappy about using aluminum studs. As long as their gauges are sized correctly for the application, they're a great building material. They're generally not used in residential construction due to cost. They're all perfectly straight, they don't burn, they assemble faster, and impervious to insects & moisture-related issues. Wiring goes faster, and I believe you can get cheaper homeowner's insurance. I work with wood every day in residential construction, and most carpenters these days don't know the most basic techniques to using wood properly, in order to deal with all the variances (bow, twist, cup, crown, wane, splits, checks, & moisture content), in order to turn out a nice product. At least with metal framing, you can greatly reduce the poor quality of the workmanship.

There is nothing cheap and crappy about using aluminum studs. As long as their gauges are sized correctly for the application, they're a great building material. They're generally not used in residential construction due to cost. They're all perfectly straight, they don't burn, they assemble faster, and impervious to insects & moisture-related issues. Wiring goes faster, and I believe you can get cheaper homeowner's insurance. I work with wood every day in residential construction, and most carpenters these days don't know the most basic techniques to using wood properly, in order to deal with all the variances (bow, twist, cup, crown, wane, splits, checks, & moisture content), in order to turn out a nice product. At least with metal framing, you can greatly reduce the poor quality of the workmanship.
I wonder how the cost equation balanced out now, with wood costs so high.

I wonder how the cost equation balanced out now, with wood costs so high.
We're looking at a couple of new houses right now, and it may be time to re-evaluate using at least some metal framing. I've always been a fan of using it for non-bearing walls, especially in kitchens and baths (much easier to tile/hang cabinets on a perfectly flat wall), but the architects never want to play ball. It does require a completely different mindset in the residential world, since everything has to be screwed. Commercial guys are used to that. Residential carpenters, not so much.

I can’t stand steel studs for the very fact they make hanging anything so much more difficult than a good old lag bolt into a wood stud. I’ve tried toggles, backer boards etc and it’s all such a pain. 3” lag screws into a wooden stud and no worries even the biggest tv, cantilevered mounting arm etc is coming down.

heck, even just hanging a frame is a piece of cake with a wooden stud, but try pounding a nail into a steel stud? Doesn’t work to well....

for some applications they make sense, but for the typical home, wood just makes most things a bit easier

Wood has historically been plentiful here, and it's the main structural element of most American houses. The walls are constructed mostly out of 2 inch by 4 inch* vertical studs spaced 16 inches apart. Flat gypsum panels are usually attached to them to make the surface of the interior walls, and plywood** overlaid with brick or wood-like panels makes the exterior. The supporting structure of the roof is wood too, as is the roof surface substrate.

(*) OK, "2 inch by 4 inch" is a lie because that's the dimension of the unfinished lumber. It's reduced to a standard smaller dimension to make it smooth and uniform. Assuming it's not warped, twisted, split, or got a bunch of bark still left on it. I knocked down part of a 1950's house once, and the lumber was amazing. Straight, uniform, iron hard. There's a lot of inferior wood out there now.

(**) OK, "plywood" is usually a lie because they use this stuff called oriented strand board which is a bunch of wood shreds/flakes glued and compressed together. Ugly, but strong.

Yes, the quality of lumber today is not like it was when old-growth trees were widely available. I've seen 16" wide, 20' long wood flooring in an upscale home in DC that was originally built about 200 years ago, and that flooring had absolutely NO knots. It was amazing. That wood doesn't exist any more (for use in houses.) But the wood is not "inferior", in that it shouldn't be used in a house. But because it's harvested from new-growth timber, it doesn't have the tight growth rings that 100 year old trees have. So it's more susceptible to lots of things, mainly the weather. Much of it is very straight, but a lot isn't. But you simply cut the crooked stuff up into the hundreds of shorter pieces needed in a typical house.

Many of today's carpenters don't do this. They grab the first stick off the pile, and cut it for whatever they need next (as opposed to using the better pieces in the proper places.) And because it's new-growth, it needs to be kept out of the weather as much as possible until the house is closed/dried in, i.e., covered, and not allowed to get rained on several times during the framing stage. Even the bark on the edges don't matter, if you place it correctly.

Fewer and fewer tradesmen care any more about taking pride in their work, much of the workforce lacks proper training, due to decades of the mindset that the only pathway to a good living was via college, and everybody simply wants the cheapest cost-per-square-foot, when it comes to buying a new home. But,

The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

You generally get what you pay for, just like with FAS products. It's disgusting what passes for the biggest purchase a family will make in their entire lifetime. Pay once, cry once.

I don't have a Master Built house for the same reason I don't have Master Built guitars. Lower price isn't only about "sweetness" , it's about feasability, for some people at least.

I don't have a Master Built house for the same reason I don't have Master Built guitars. Lower price isn't only about "sweetness" , it's about feasability, for some people at least.

I would say there is an argument too that for many families a house isn’t a once in a lifetime purchase. So many people seem to move, change jobs etc, every few years that a home isn’t viewed as a last a lifetime purchase so resultingly there is less care and concern over materials used, construction method etc. and obviously cost factors too

I would say there is an argument too that for many families a house isn’t a once in a lifetime purchase. So many people seem to move, change jobs etc, every few years that a home isn’t viewed as a last a lifetime purchase so resultingly there is less care and concern over materials used, construction method etc. and obviously cost factors too
We've been here long enough to pay off our mortgage (taxes were and still are half of that), and the house is still what it is. Definitely has some construction issues, besides the ones we fixed before we moved in, and a REALLY small yard. But also some unusual pluses for this neighborhood and price range, new roof and high efficiency boiler we did, and my "studio" in the basement.

And a paid off mortgage. Did I mention that already? ;)

Wood has historically been plentiful here, and it's the main structural element of most American houses. The walls are constructed mostly out of 2 inch by 4 inch* vertical studs spaced 16 inches apart. Flat gypsum panels are usually attached to them to make the surface of the interior walls, and plywood** overlaid with brick or wood-like panels makes the exterior. The supporting structure of the roof is wood too, as is the roof surface substrate.

(*) OK, "2 inch by 4 inch" is a lie because that's the dimension of the unfinished lumber. It's reduced to a standard smaller dimension to make it smooth and uniform. Assuming it's not warped, twisted, split, or got a bunch of bark still left on it. I knocked down part of a 1950's house once, and the lumber was amazing. Straight, uniform, iron hard. There's a lot of inferior wood out there now.

(**) OK, "plywood" is usually a lie because they use this stuff called oriented strand board which is a bunch of wood shreds/flakes glued and compressed together. Ugly, but strong.

Code mandates in some areas (like where I live) 2 X 6 exterior walls due to the cold weather.
Increased energy efficiency from the extra insulation being the reasoning. I believe some
hurricane prone coastal areas also have stricter codes on ALL new construction..

We've been here long enough to pay off our mortgage (taxes were and still are half of that), and the house is still what it is. Definitely has some construction issues, besides the ones we fixed before we moved in, and a REALLY small yard. But also some unusual pluses for this neighborhood and price range, new roof and high efficiency boiler we did, and my "studio" in the basement.

And a paid off mortgage. Did I mention that already? ;)

That's a GREAT feeling. Congrats and cheers!!! 🍻🍻🍻

Yes, the quality of lumber today is not like it was when old-growth trees were widely available. I've seen 16" wide, 20' long wood flooring in an upscale home in DC that was originally built about 200 years ago, and that flooring had absolutely NO knots. It was amazing. That wood doesn't exist any more (for use in houses.) But the wood is not "inferior", in that it shouldn't be used in a house. But because it's harvested from new-growth timber, it doesn't have the tight growth rings that 100 year old trees have. So it's more susceptible to lots of things, mainly the weather. Much of it is very straight, but a lot isn't. But you simply cut the crooked stuff up into the hundreds of shorter pieces needed in a typical house.

Many of today's carpenters don't do this. They grab the first stick off the pile, and cut it for whatever they need next (as opposed to using the better pieces in the proper places.) And because it's new-growth, it needs to be kept out of the weather as much as possible until the house is closed/dried in, i.e., covered, and not allowed to get rained on several times during the framing stage. Even the bark on the edges don't matter, if you place it correctly.

Fewer and fewer tradesmen care any more about taking pride in their work, much of the workforce lacks proper training, due to decades of the mindset that the only pathway to a good living was via college, and everybody simply wants the cheapest cost-per-square-foot, when it comes to buying a new home. But,

The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

You generally get what you pay for, just like with FAS products. It's disgusting what passes for the biggest purchase a family will make in their entire lifetime. Pay once, cry once.

Cool post. :)

I'd toss in that the demands of production and efficiency play a role in inferior quality.
Especially when roughing-in an home. You can have a 2500 to 3500 sq. ft McMansion in a
cookie-cutter new subdivision/gated community and those homes are built with the same
mindset that $2 hamburgers at the Drive-thru. ;)

Cool post. :)

I'd toss in that the demands of production and efficiency play a role in inferior quality.
Especially when roughing-in an home. You can have a 2500 to 3500 sq. ft McMansion in a
cookie-cutter new subdivision/gated community and those homes are built with the same
mindset that $2 hamburgers at the Drive-thru. ;)
Thank you. Yes, the demands do play a role in inferior quality. But here's the thing: they don't have to. When I talk about lack of training, I mean that the guys don't have the good production skills these days, like the older guys who I grew up learning under, did.

In the 90's I was a framing contractor, framing custom homes, getting paid by the square foot, at the lowest price point around. Other builders couldn't believe we would "work that cheap," and often asked me how I made any money at those prices. I told them the key wasn't hiring cheap help (in fact, it's the opposite), or cutting corners, or just going as fast as possible, and hell with the quality. I did better than other crews working for the same builder also, because I learned how to be efficient. And as far as the quality goes, there are so many tasks that can be done, faster, while at the same time, turning out a better product. It's all in the methods and tools you use, and how you order your work. These are the "production skills" I see lacking in the industry today, that generally lead to poor quality.

And it helps to have a good moral compass too. Sure, I had jobs that went sideways, but I'd take the lessons I learned as "paying my tuition", as opposed to sacrificing quality. But I didn't make the same mistake!

One quick example I see over and over: There are many times on a carpentry project where boards have to be ripped (cutting a certain amount off the edge, along its entire length.) The wrong, inefficient, and poorer quality method: Lay the board across 2 sawhorses, one carpenter holds the board, while the other guy cuts it down its length, following a chalk line, basically using his hand/eye coordination to keep the blade on the line. The right, efficient, high-quality method: Either temporarily screw one end of the board to the top of the sawhorse, or better yet, use a screw as a "stop" at the end of the board to keep it from sliding (now the 2nd guy can go do something else!) Buy a $14 attachment for the saw, called a rip guide, and use that to ride the edge of the board. That tool gives you a consistent width down the entire length of the board, while allowing you to cut faster as well. (And yes, I know about table saws, but they're not the right tool in this example.) Go one step further, and plan for all the boards that need to be ripped for the entire job, and do them all at the same time (simple "economy-of-scale" principle at work.) Go one step further: Since this is a very simple task, teach it to your least-expensive guy on the crew, and have him rip all those boards.

Examples like that abound in construction. With some thought, you apply that same type of thinking to the entire process, and it is completely possible to make more money than your competitors, complete the job in less time, while at the same time turning out a high quality product. This is what I do in my chosen profession, seeing similarities in my approach to the things that I see here with Fractal. (I also played Clarinet and Sax in high school, best in MD in 9th grade, heading to college to be an electrical engineer, haha.) So I may sound a bit negative when discussing these kinds of things (don't mean to be), since a lot of it truly isn't necessary. And when I see lumber skyrocketing, I know a certain amount of it is only going to get worse, as builders push their crews even harder: "Hurry up!! I'm losing money on this job because I bid it 8 months ago, and now lumber prices are crazy!" (My attempt to tie this long post back to the original topic, lol!)

Back
Top Bottom