Damn I miss the 90s

But now that I think of it, wasn't the 90's one of the most crazily diverse musical
decades for guitar based music? Maybe our of our current lifetime??

Pantera Rage Grunge Chili Peppers Nine Inch Nails
Prodigy Ministry White Zombie
Dream Theatre came on the scene on the 90's

Gin Blossoms and Toad The Wet Sprocket.
Creed and Limp Bizkit. ;)
Yes! I had forgotten..., well, not forgotten exactly, but guess I hadn't realized just how diverse the 90's were. And I should have. Heck, I was in an electric band in the 90's, and then an acoustic trio in early 2000's that focused on 90's music for cryin out loud!

But for Dream Theater, they don't feel to me like they came on the scene in the 90's because, even though they're still my favorite band of all time (I just can't get into much beyond Portnoy's departure), I didn't take to them until I heard New Millennium. (Hmmm, maybe that's why.)
Yeah, I remember digging Pull Me Under when it was on eMpTv, but my cousin tried to turn me onto them by lending me Images & Words, but I was like, meh. Weird.

Anyway, good post!

Holy crap! I never realised how high the vocals are on this tune. Just brutal. Sammy is into countertenor territory.
Yea -- Sammy wasn't warmed up on Dreams. They should've done The Who first. The high note scream in The Who is the same note as the highest MELODY note of Dreams. It's not enough Sammy is super human -- in Dreams he had to sing repeatedly just below a note he would usually scream, and then he had to try to SING that note...first song of the day. IMO, that's a lot more to deal with than sketchy headphones. And he handled it Sammy-style. Amazing.
He wasn't kidding when he said it's the highest song he's ever sung.

Last edited:
Yea -- Sammy wasn't warmed up on Dreams. They should've done The Who first. The high note scream in The Who is the same note as the highest MELODY note of Dreams. It's not enough Sammy is super human -- in Dreams he had to sing repeatedly just below a note he would usually scream, and then he had to try to SING that note...first song of the day. IMO, that's a lot more to deal with than sketchy headphones. And he handled it Sammy-style. Amazing.
He wasn't kidding when he said it's the highest song he's ever sung.
Isn't Sammy famous for not warming up? I seem to remember reading it in his book.

Back
Top Bottom