Damageplan (Randall Warhead) tone

To get this type of tone, keep on bugging Cliff to put in a high gain, solid state amp model! Preferably one of the old Randalls, like an RG100ES or Century 200.

You might be able to find a preamp in the Axe that sounds close enough though. Try going through each high gain model and turn the SAG very low (or maybe even to zero) to give it a tighter solid state sound. And the biggest trick to getting Dimebag tones is applying a lot of EQ before the amp. I would cut all frequencies below 200-300Hz somewhat and maybe boost somewhere around 1K or a little lower to get a tighter crunch and maybe some much higher ones like 5-10K for some added cut/tightness.

Seriously though, I've been complaining about getting a Randall model for Dime tones for a while!

Oh yeah, the Brit Pre might be a good place to start. I've gotten some decent solid-state sounding tones from it before. And normally I would suggest cutting most of the mids in the amp for dimes tone and keep plenty of treble and presence, but I think that Damaged Plan tone has more mids than what he used in Pantera. You still want to scoop it a bit though.

Back
Top Bottom