D'Addario NY - Initial Observations

jesussaddle

Power User
I had posted about strings losing brightness/tone awhile back and a couple of people suggested I try the NY strings from D'Addario. I found out they are pretty expensive so I was hesitant; but I asked around, at two Guitar Centers I shop at. The response was positive, in fact I would say more than just positive. When I asked how long the set remained bright relative to other strings, I did not get a clear ratio or anything, so I will follow up on this later. I purchased a 9-46 set (which I put on (and also a traditional 9-42, which I probably will just use as needed if I break a string, since I am happy with the fatter bottom. I sometimes like 10's, but I wanted to experience the liquidy looseness of the thin high strings on the first go around. )

I can't comment too much on whether these strings are affordable for me at this point - I by no means have money to burn here. However, I wanted to say two things about my initial impression of these strings.

The first thing I notice is that the bend range is indeed greater than with other strings I have used - which caught me off guard. I expected a slightly greater bend, but not a very noticeable one.... Instead, I am quite astonished - I can bend a P4, i.e. if you count the fret you are on as zero, it is 4 frets higher than that fret, so a range of 5 frets is accessed). This is true on all but one of the strings. On the high E string I don't think I would want to push it past the 3 fret range, for fear of breakage.

Secondly, the strings actually feel like they allow the pick to glide over them a little better. This could all be in my head. I recently changed both my technique and my choice of picks.

So far I am pretty happy with the tone (although the strings are so fresh that it is hard to say).

Anyway, do you guys that have tried these already know of other strings that perform like this that maybe cost a little less?

I tried a set of NYXL and was hooked. Consistent tone through-out their lifespan, great feel, they stay in tune and last just about the same as elixirs. I've been on several elixir product trials and what they're working on is coming very close. Although they won't be any cheaper.

I've also recently gone through a bunch of different picks looking for something better. im using Blue Chip picks in the studio. Fantastic but expensive. The way I lose picks I wouldn't dare take a $35 pick to a gig. Live I'm using Primetones (standard shape with the grip). They sound very similar to the Blue Chip and I won't go nuts if I lose one.

Back
Top Bottom