D'Addario 10's users: have you tried the Balanced Tension sets?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I'm curious about D'Addario's new Balanced Tension strings (EXL110BT). There are 3 different sizes compared to regular EXL110's:
- B string is 13.5 instead of regular 13
- G string is 25 instead of 26
- A string is 34 instead of 36

I've read some reviews, but oddly enough, the common complaints are (a) darker sounding and (b) more difficult to bend. This confuses me to no end... given the differences, they should be brighter and easier to bend (except for the B string), but what do I know...

Anyone tried them? Was it enough of a change to require intonation adjustments? How do they sound?

Not yet... I'm primarily an EXL110's user so need to go that route.. when I'm not using the Elixir nanoweb 10/46's.

Not yet... I'm primarily an EXL110's user so need to go that route.. when I'm not using the Elixir nanoweb 10/46's.

You were a fervent EXL110 user and have switched to Nanowebs 10-46? Are you staying with the Nanowebs?

My past experience with Elixir was not so great (sounded like my strings had been dipped in rubber)... and they didn't last any longer. I liked the feel, but not the sound. Mind you, it was a long time ago, and I don't know if they were polywebs or what...

I've been looking for a review from a faithful D'Addario user... can you share your experience with the switch?

I'm happy with the ELX110's no need to switch, though if I did switch it would be to SIT strings. I really like the way they sounded after they were broke in.

I'm curious about D'Addario's new Balanced Tension strings (EXL110BT). There are 3 different sizes compared to regular EXL110's:
- B string is 13.5 instead of regular 13
- G string is 25 instead of 26
- A string is 34 instead of 36

I've read some reviews, but oddly enough, the common complaints are (a) darker sounding and (b) more difficult to bend. This confuses me to no end... given the differences, they should be brighter and easier to bend (except for the B string), but what do I know...

Anyone tried them? Was it enough of a change to require intonation adjustments? How do they sound?

Haven't tried them, but I can see why they don't work that well. The term 'balanced' here likely refers to more or less equal tension on each string (around 16 lbs according to my calculations, assuming a 25.5" scale). Thing is, you'll actually want more tension on the thicker strings in order to keep a tight feel to each string, or a balanced feel if you will. The 'term' balanced is a bit misleading in this case, as with that set I imagine the wound strings will feel rather floppy.

Look up the progressive string tension concept; my personal experience is that it works really well especially when applied to alternative/drop tunings. I've set up 3 of my guitars according to that concept (and never change their tuning since they're set up for a specific tuning), and I love how they play.

I know this is a very old thread but I just had to express my disappointment.

I have used EXL110 for about 25 years. Now I wanted to try EXL110BT. I have to say that the only thing thats better is playing chords. I actually hate balanced tension so much that I would rather stop playing guitar than have to use balanced tension. I have adjusted the neck relief but it feels like I'm using higher gauge than 10s. It does sound like a very smart idea but it just feels wrong. This i just my opinion. I know every review i see or read are saying that it's much better. Im not sure if I trust those reviewers. Bending is way harder too. I have no clue why it feels this way. I'm using regular tuning only. And about the sound. Can't hear any real difference. My Blade Levinson HSS 12" radius setup is according to Fender recommendation. Everything is optimal including height of pickups.

Attachments

• bt_sets_110bt.jpg
    bt_sets_110bt.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have dabbled extensively in creating my own balanced strings sets which I purchase from Curt Mangan as he's the only one who offers all the gauges I could want.

For 25.5" scale length electrics, I like something between 9s and 10s so I used 9.5, 12, 16.5, 25, 34, 46. Mind you these aren't truly balanced in that each string is not the same tensions. I try to keep the top 3 close and the bottom 3 close. At the very least I make the strings progressively heavier from low E to high E. If I was going with 9s I'd choose 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44. For 10s I'd go 10, 13.5, 17, 26, 36 (35 would be great but no one makes that) and 48.

Looking at the specs on the EXL110BT, I was surprised. Three strings are the same diameter. The B string is a larger diameter and the A and D string are smaller diameter. Is it your B string that is harder to bend?

The EXL120BT (9s) has 5 strings of different diameter. The G string is larger and the B, D, A, and low E are smaller diameter. I currently have a set of EXL120BTs on one of my Charvels. It feels a little softer, but nothing significant. The low E got slightly more buzzy.

I can get the regular EXLs for about $3.40 a pack in bulk. Due to the price increase to go to balanced tension for negligible results and more buzz, I am thinking that I am going to stick with regular EXLs.

I use the NYXL Balanced Tension set and I like 'em. I switched from the Heavy/Light set after using those for something like 10 years and I prefer how the BT set sounds and feels more. Being able to apply the same technique to all strings more evenly has made me a better player and I like the extra clarity when I'm riffing on the lower strings versus the Heavy/Light set. It's not an Earth shattering difference, but YMMV.

I have tried regular NYXL. Didn't like the feel nor the sound. But that's me. But back to EXL110BT. The D-string sounds bad and feel very stiff when hitting it with the pick. I play pretty aggressively. I have always played on strat scale guitars and for me EXL110 sound best and feel best. I use a standard size Clayton Acetal 1.00mm pick. That could be a reason I don't like the feel of balanced tension. I'm not sure.

Yes the B-string is harder to bend but that's not the main reason I don't like BT.

Anyone here who attended MI in LA between 92-93?

I have tried regular NYXL. Didn't like the feel nor the sound. But that's me. But back to EXL110BT. The D-string sounds bad and feel very stiff when hitting it with the pick. I play pretty aggressively. I have always played on strat scale guitars and for me EXL110 sound best and feel best. I use a standard size Clayton Acetal 1.00mm pick. That could be a reason I don't like the feel of balanced tension. I'm not sure.

Yes the B-string is harder to bend but that's not the main reason I don't like BT.

Anyone here who attended MI in LA between 92-93?
I am surprised that the D string feels stiff to you. It is a smaller diameter string and has 1.2lb lower tension than the EXL 110 D.

The B string is what I would expect. It is larger diameter and has more than 1lb of additional tension over the EXL110 B string.

I tried them and they are OK. I keep coming back to 44-9.5 sets from Curt Mangan. First tried 44-9.5 in D'Addarios, but Mangan gets all my business these days. Great strings, family owned/run company in Colorado.

I was the original poster in this thread. For years afterwards, I was "making" my own progressive tension sets, and it worked well for me. The so-called "balanced" set (EXL110BT) didn't feel natural at all, with too much tension on high strings and too little on low strings. Larely, I installed a set of NYXLs to try out. So far so good, they don't feel unusual (compared to my own progressive tension franken-set), but the jury is still out - for one thing, the claimed extended life doesn't seem real (the finish may endure more, but the strings still get all those indents at each fret, meaning they'll last just as long as ordinary XL10s, no more). So if no extended life, then why pay the abusive cost of the NYXL when my much cheaper XL10-based franken-set behaves just as well?

I know its very strange that the D-string feel stiffer. I cant explain it. It should be the the opposite. It can be an effect of the tension of other strings causing this effect. The b-string is a bit harder to bend but I don't feel that's any problem. I noticed the problem with the d-string and checked the string height if that could be the problem. Strings are exactly the same height like I'm used and as Fender recommend on 12 inch radius neck.

Yesterday I detuned a half step due to a recording siuation demanding it. Adjusted the neck relief accordingly. My God I think I will stay detunded. Sound and feel is so very good. I'm still using EXL110.

Last edited:
I used D'Addario XL strings for years. When they came out with NYXL strings, I tried those and now I use them exclusively. I think they sound better and last longer. When they came out with NYXL balanced tension sets, I tried those and now use them whenever I can (still waiting for a BT set of 9.5s). I came across the idea of progressive tension a few years ago and made my own sets of strings to accomplish this. They were OK, but balanced tension feels better to me. I guess this thread shows that string tension is just as much a matter of personal taste as everything else about guitars.

I've tried them- I like them...

They don't sound darker- it's all negligible gauge differences and no way they're harder to bend- it's all easier

BUT more importantly the strings feel like they bend more evenly- like 3 steps on one string at the same bend is 3 steps on another string- which is nice

I've tried the 9's as they don't make BT8's although i've been putting together some research for my own balance tension 8's set

To me they have the sound of the guage heavier than they are with the feel of a lighter touch

I've been doing a lot of string experimenting lately. I wish 8's had a 40 on the low E instead of a 38

I love the balanced tension strings (009's) at StringJoy. I use them on all my guitars, as I have beginning stages of arthritis and these seem easier on my hands, and still sound great!

I love the balanced tension strings (009's) at StringJoy. I use them on all my guitars, as I have beginning stages of arthritis and these seem easier on my hands, and still sound great!
Have you ever tried Curt Mangan strings? I ask because they're less expensive than String Joy (Mangan always has 20% coupons and free shipping offers) and offer a slightly wider selection of gauges.

Back
Top Bottom