Dad Jokes

Oh. So, the creative process doesn't begin with putting in time and energy?
Lets face it English is a stupid language There is no egg in the eggplant No ham in the hamburger And neither pine nor apple in the pineapple. English muffins were not invented in England
French Fries Were Not Invented In France.
We Sometimes Take English For Granted
But If We Examine Its Paradoxes We Find That:
Quicksand Takes You Down Slowly
Boxing Rings Are Square
And A Guinea Pig Is Neither From Guinea Nor Is It A Pig.
If Writers Write, How Come Fingers Don't Fing.
If The Plural Of Tooth Is Teeth
Shouldn't The Plural Of Phone Booth Be Phone Beeth
If The Teacher Taught,
Why Didn't The Preacher Praught.
If A Vegetarian Eats Vegetables
What The Heck Does A Humanitarian Eat!?
Why Do People Recite At A Play
Yet Play At A Recital?
Park On Driveways And
Drive On Parkways
How Can The Weather Be As Hot As Hell On One Day
And As Cold As Hell On Another
You Have To Marvel At The Unique Lunacy
Of A Language Where A House Can Burn Up As
It Burns Down
And In Which You Fill In A Form
By Filling It Out
And A Bell Is Only Heard Once It Goes!
English Was Invented By People, Not Computers
And It Reflects The Creativity Of The Human Race
(Which Of Course Isn't A Race At All)
That Is Why
When The Stars Are Out They Are Visible
But When The Lights Are Out They Are Invisible
And Why It Is That When I Wind Up My Watch
It Starts
But When I Wind Up This Poem
It Ends.

Dave, it's been fascinating, but I'll leave you with this thought. The following is a collection of high school essay similes and metaphors that were taken out of context from students' essays. Gotta call it an evening, so I'll see you around the forum Friday...

Every year, English teachers from across the USA can submit their collections of actual similes and metaphors found in high school essays. These excerpts are published each year.

Here are last year's (1998’s) winners:

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh-Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. Coli, and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot, three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and "Jeopardy" comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. travelling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Margaret Thatcher's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the East River.

18. Even in his last years, Granddad had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are known to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en Pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

It is to be hoped, indeed, that language, here as elsewhere, will not get over its awkwardness...
F. Nietzsche

Lets face it English is a stupid language There is no egg in the eggplant No ham in the hamburger And neither pine nor apple in the pineapple. English muffins were not invented in England
French Fries Were Not Invented In France.
We Sometimes Take English For Granted
But If We Examine Its Paradoxes We Find That:
Quicksand Takes You Down Slowly
Boxing Rings Are Square
And A Guinea Pig Is Neither From Guinea Nor Is It A Pig.
If Writers Write, How Come Fingers Don't Fing.
If The Plural Of Tooth Is Teeth
Shouldn't The Plural Of Phone Booth Be Phone Beeth
If The Teacher Taught,
Why Didn't The Preacher Praught.
If A Vegetarian Eats Vegetables
What The Heck Does A Humanitarian Eat!?
Why Do People Recite At A Play
Yet Play At A Recital?
Park On Driveways And
Drive On Parkways
How Can The Weather Be As Hot As Hell On One Day
And As Cold As Hell On Another
You Have To Marvel At The Unique Lunacy
Of A Language Where A House Can Burn Up As
It Burns Down
And In Which You Fill In A Form
By Filling It Out
And A Bell Is Only Heard Once It Goes!
English Was Invented By People, Not Computers
And It Reflects The Creativity Of The Human Race
(Which Of Course Isn't A Race At All)
That Is Why
When The Stars Are Out They Are Visible
But When The Lights Are Out They Are Invisible
And Why It Is That When I Wind Up My Watch
It Starts
But When I Wind Up This Poem
It Ends.
Bravo. Your best work ever.

Dave, it's been fascinating, but I'll leave you with this thought. The following is a collection of high school essay similes and metaphors that were taken out of context from students' essays. Gotta call it an evening, so I'll see you around the forum Friday...

Every year, English teachers from across the USA can submit their collections of actual similes and metaphors found in high school essays. These excerpts are published each year.

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh-Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. Coli, and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and "Jeopardy" comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. travelling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Margaret Thatcher's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the East River.

18. Even in his last years, Granddad had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en Pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

It is to be hoped, indeed, that language, here as elsewhere, will not get over its awkwardness...
F. Nietzsche
1664520422100.png

F. Nietzsche
my contribution,
Examples of Oxymorons
Pretty ugly
Will and Guy recommend
Flocks, Herds, Litters & Schools by Jim McMullan
Flocks Herds Litters and Schools
Punk music (Live recording)
Civil servant
Gourmet pizza, served by a fast waiter.
Airline food
User friendly
Non-working mother
Microsoft Works on a Vista operating system
Political Co-operation (Political science)
Work party
Loners club
Labour Party (or Conservative Party or Liberal Party)
Silent women, at least not in married life
French resistance
Swiss navy
Greater Cleveland (In UK - Greater Manchester)
California style
Ten Examples of Oxymoron Phrases
A stripper's dressing room
Click the start button, and shut down
First strike defence
Former President-for-life (Haiti)
Alone in a crowd
Xenophobic Foreign Secretary (Xenophobic = hates strangers)
Personalized form letter
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!
Always remember you're unique...just like everyone else!
An oral contract isn't worth the paper its written on
Another Batch of Amusing Oxymorons
Freezer burn, caused by liquid gas, created an anxious patient
Open secret - clearly confused
Found missing - minor crisis averted
Tight slacks - Pretty ugly
We climbed down into a blocked drain
Soft rock, as shown on educational television
Monopoly (Mono Poly?) And why is there only one monopolies
commission?
Head butt

thanks, curtesy of google as I'm sure everyone knows, so any favorite factory presets on your FM9T? Im kind of liking 38...
What preset is #38? (My FM9 isn't on just now...)

TBH, I think the EJ Clean is a great example of where you can begin to work with a good clean preset. I typically don't bother with presets myself and only utilize them as reference points. Instead, my choice is to work with individual amp, effects, and cab models, and utilize these as my building materials before assembling a preset.

My preferences include the Vibro Verb amp model for cleans, and 1987X Normal, ODS-100 Clean/HRM/Ford/PAB Mid, JM45, Brit Brown, among others. Effects are comparatively common to most all of us.

I usually don't do ambient reverb or delays that much, but prefer these that would translate well for practice or live use.

Cab blocks are varied, but I really like the Pre-Rola GB 121 and 414 combined with the Vibro Verb and JM45. Sometimes the Santiago EJ 1250 and Double Verb 160. The ODS amps typically receive the Rumble 4x12 57 or 160.

My 1987X preset, LT's TV69 Mix 3 and TV Mix 2. Also, a couple acoustic presets (one homemade, the other from someone on this forum) and my John Mayer preset, replete with updated Q-Tron adrenaline effect, courtesy of Jon Kaneshiro on this forum.

A man went to a zoo, but there was only a dog there...it was a shitzu.
I realize my previous post was a bit wordy. Please don't confuse wordy with too much in one's dog dish.

FTR, the Marshall preset was my focus point. You might check it out.

What preset is #38? (My FM9 isn't on just now...)

TBH, I think the EJ Clean is a great example of where you can begin to work with a good clean preset. I typically don't bother with presets myself and only utilize them as reference points. Instead, my choice is to work with individual amp, effects, and cab models, and utilize these as my building materials before assembling a preset.

My preferences include the Vibro Verb amp model for cleans, and 1987X Normal, ODS-100 Clean/HRM/Ford/PAB Mid, JM45, Brit Brown, among others. Effects are comparatively common to most all of us.

I usually don't do ambient reverb or delays that much, but prefer these that would translate well for practice or live use.

Cab blocks are varied, but I really like the Pre-Rola GB 121 and 414 combined with the Vibro Verb and JM45. Sometimes the Santiago EJ 1250 and Double Verb 160. The ODS amps typically receive the Rumble 4x12 57 or 160.

My 1987X preset, LT's TV69 Mix 3 and TV Mix 2. Also, a couple acoustic presets (one homemade, the other from someone on this forum) and my John Mayer preset, replete with updated Q-Tron adrenaline effect, courtesy of Jon Kaneshiro on this forum.
38 I believe it is a Robben Ford tribute patch bank, browsing patches the other night it caught my ear with a crispy clean patch then had other's w/really smooth overdriven banks labeled Ford1 Ford~ etc. Amp used is an ODS-100 clean, (See Yuk's link) not familiar with it is but its consistent with my liking of starting with a clean patch and building on as you put it. Myself I've always been hell bent on achieving my treasured JCM 800 amps in a modeler and this FW release really is standing up to the test for me as I couldn't be happier with my patch builds now.

I'll need to check the EJ patch you mentioned what one is that? as far as cabs I'm always looking for the EVM-BL and or EVM-12 Pro sound, and I find a close match with the stock 4x12 Legacy #144 which is my foundation for the majority of my audio pleasures,

I'll try to check out the others you mentioned her when time allows.
Cheers,

38 I believe it is a Robben Ford tribute patch bank, browsing patches the other night it caught my ear with a crispy clean patch then had other's w/really smooth overdriven banks labeled Ford1 Ford~ etc. Amp used is an ODS-100 clean, (See Yuk's link) not familiar with it is but its consistent with my liking of starting with a clean patch and building on as you put it. Myself I've always been hell bent on achieving my treasured JCM 800 amps in a modeler and this FW release really is standing up to the test for me as I couldn't be happier with my patch builds now.

I'll need to check the EJ patch you mentioned what one is that? as far as cabs I'm always looking for the EVM-BL and or EVM-12 Pro sound, and I find a close match with the stock 4x12 Legacy #144 which is my foundation for the majority of my audio pleasures,

I'll try to check out the others you mentioned her when time allows.
Cheers,
IIRC, the EJ Clean is 091, (correction: 095). EJ Clean uses a Santiago 2x12 & Double Verb 2x12 cab. I liked the Pre-Rola GB 4x12 with numerous amps, but the application may not work for your needs. I'd not be bummed out if they don't work, but sometimes something that is counter-intuitive is perfect in its own way. Marshall amps work well with them, though. There are EVM-12s in the cab library, you just need to look for them.

FTR, don't "take the bait" regards cabs that don't work well with your choice of amp model. Just find what your ears prefer and don't let the rest "string you along." It's a waste of time and energy trying to find more solutions to problems you've already solved. And, TBH, it's an unhealthy way of forcing you to stay busy when you've finished your work for the day.

Last edited:
Return to Dad Jokes:

A rabbi was busy reading in the synagogue with his congregation, when one old man seated in the back spoke up...

He said, "Moses was a bum..." and sat down again.
The rabbi looked over his glasses and cleared his throat, and continued reading.
The man stood up again, and spoke louder, "Moses was a BUM..." and he sat down again.
The rabbi sighed a little, scratched his eyebrow and continued...
Finally, the man stood up and raised his voice louder, "MOSES was a BUM!"
Not to be outdone, the rabbi, removed his glasses, wiped them and put them back on and said,
"Mr. Rabinowitz, could you please tell us why you believe Moses was a bum?"
"Because," Mr. Rabinowitz said, in his best singsong voice, "If we'd of turned right instead of left after the Red Sea, we might have received the oil and not the sand?"

Back
Top Bottom