D20-Short Tone/Mix Test

Charlie Wardick said:
Sounded great. Maybe lowpass those drumsticks just a bit. :lol: Was the bass the Axe-Fx too?

Hey thanks Charlie!

The bass was actually my Axe Fx/SVX/Sansamp combination. It's actually 3 tracks of bass using my Spector 4LX-35

Sounds tight and good as usual, BUT the guitars are a bit too middy, or the rest is too scooped. ;)

Thanks Jocke!!!

Its funny lately i have been feeling my guitars had to much lowend in them. I guess that is why i put more mids in this tone.

matt15f said:
Sounded great. What audio interface are you using btw? Your guitars record a bit clearer than mine.

Many thanks!

Lately i have been sticking with my M Audio Delta 44. I really love it as far as stability and for bandwidth. I think they are around $150 new. I haven't had one issue with mine at all. I would definitely recommend it!

Awesome stuff \m/

Not sure if I agree about the guitars having too much midrange. Sounds pretty beefy to me, and the way it's mixed makes them cut straight through. I always look forward to your posts; perfect example of what I wish my recordings sounded like. :cool:

OmegaZero said:
Awesome stuff \m/

Not sure if I agree about the guitars having too much midrange. Sounds pretty beefy to me, and the way it's mixed makes them cut straight through. I always look forward to your posts; perfect example of what I wish my recordings sounded like. :cool:

Many thanks! I take that as a compliment! :D

I really don't feel like i am up to par as far as my mixing skills go, but it is something that i am constantly working on. This is probably the best mix i have to date. I can only hope with time that i get better. I would post more songs, but i am recording my band's full length at the moment and i don't have a whole lot of time to do the music i like to with D20. Actually this song is going to probably end up as one of my band's songs. I do have a few others that i am working on that i am going to try and put vocals on as well.

Many thanks again and thanks for listening!

Deltones said:
D,

When you post your clips, are they mastered in any way?

All the ones that i have posted in the past i have done mastering on, but this one there is no mastering at all.

D20 said:
Deltones said:
D,

All the ones that i have posted in the past i have done mastering on, but this one there is no mastering at all.

Is that right? Man... you probably mixed this one to a pretty high level already. Sounds very loud and good on my system.

By the way D, I just want to verify something: Could you post a clip of only ONE of your guitar tracks that's part of this clip? If you saw my previous message in one of your other posts, the one where you put your patch settings, well I noticed that the result I got was pretty fizzy when trying your patch settings.

What I want to verify is if your single guitar track sounds as fizzy as I think just by itself, but smooths itself out when bi (or quad)-tracked and blended with the other instruments

Thanks man..

Deltones said:
D20 said:
Deltones said:
D,

Is that right? Man... you probably mixed this one to a pretty high level already. Sounds very loud and good on my system.

By the way D, I just want to verify something: Could you post a clip of only ONE of your guitar tracks that's part of this clip? If you saw my previous message in one of your other posts, the one where you put your patch settings, well I noticed that the result I got was pretty fizzy when trying your patch settings.

What I want to verify is if your single guitar track sounds as fizzy as I think just by itself, but smooths itself out when bi (or quad)-tracked and blended with the other instruments

Thanks man..

Hey no problem. :D

Here is just one of the guitar tracks (i pan 1 L, 1 R) with no eq or sonic maximizer on it. Hope this helps. ;)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1046513/Blac ... Guitar.mp3

The mix clip of the first post in this thread sounds pretty brutal my friend!!! Very mid-rangey indeed, but it works for me.

And ehm, THREE bass tracks?

Fusion said:
The mix clip of the first post in this thread sounds pretty brutal my friend!!! Very mid-rangey indeed, but it works for me.

And ehm, THREE bass tracks?

Many thanks friend!!! :D

Haha! Yup three indeed! ;) In my band i play bass, and i have never been satisfied with my bass tone for the most part. When i got my Axe Fx i was super stoked on the tone i can get with the Axe alone, but i always find myself constantly experimenting with different ways to record my bass. I guess i just like trying new things just to see what it will sound like.

Thanks for the comment and listening!!

Deltones said:

Thanks man..

D20 said:
Hey no problem. :D

Here is just one of the guitar tracks (i pan 1 L, 1 R) with no eq or sonic maximizer on it. Hope this helps. ;)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1046513/Blac ... Guitar.mp3

Woah... what an ear opener. Pretty much what I imagined it would be, but to hear it confirmed as clear as this is really cool. I will need to re-think the way I think about how my patches should sound like. Thanks.

Super cool riffing and tone, man! I really like the stuff you're doing.
The mix is top notch and the bass sound kicks some serious butt. I remember that you elaborated on the bass sound (like 3 tracks of something...) but did not find it, could you tell me what exactly you did?

Your mix is pretty loud and you say it's not mastered, but it looks like you have a limiter on the drum bus, do you?

RiF said:
Super cool riffing and tone, man! I really like the stuff you're doing.
The mix is top notch and the bass sound kicks some serious butt. I remember that you elaborated on the bass sound (like 3 tracks of something...) but did not find it, could you tell me what exactly you did?

Your mix is pretty loud and you say it's not mastered, but it looks like you have a limiter on the drum bus, do you?

Hey thanks RiF!!! :D
I really appreciate the comments bro!

For the bass i went from my Spector>Sansamp>/output of Sansamp to Delta 44
the parallel out from the Sansamp to Axe Fx>

-output of my Axe to Delta 44 (my Axe Fx bass patch)
-another row on the Axe Fx patch to FX loop(i think IIRC) to Delta 44(direct bass signal. used Ampeg SVX on this track)

Hope this makes sense :?:
I attached a .txt file which i think better visually shows it.

This might just be too much, but i always try to think of new ways of recording my bass and for my newest mix i think it worked out pretty well. This way i can have 3 different tones that i can adjust in the mix.

All i really did as far as making it louder was to compress the stereo out and adjust the stereo output level accordingly before i exported the track. I do compress the drum bus quite heavily, but no limiter.

Again i hope this makes sense. Let me know if i can better explain anything. ;)

Attachments

• bass signal.zip
    416 bytes · Views: 7
D20 said:
Yes, it does (after read the .txt file). If have a (pretty good) PSA-1 emulation that comes with Pro Tools, so I'll try that out. Where is the bass distortion coming from? The Sansamp?
I would really like to know a bit more about the settings of your Axe and the sansamp, because I REALLY love that bass sound, although I don't have a Spector ;-(.
D20 said:
I do compress the drum bus quite heavily, but no limiter.
Everything from about 20:1 compression is regarded as limiting. But who cares... ;-)

Post subject: Re: D20-Short Tone/Mix Test Reply with quote
D20 wrote:

Yes, it does (after read the .txt file). If have a (pretty good) PSA-1 emulation that comes with Pro Tools, so I'll try that out. Where is the bass distortion coming from? The Sansamp?
I would really like to know a bit more about the settings of your Axe and the sansamp, because I REALLY love that bass sound, although I don't have a Spector ;-(.
D20 wrote:

I do compress the drum bus quite heavily, but no limiter.

Everything from about 20:1 compression is regarded as limiting. But who cares... ;-)

Hey RiF,

Yup, the distortion is coming from the Sansamp. I'm not at home to look at the settings, but i am pretty sure they were:

Pressence: None
Level: full
blend: full
Treb: 3 o clock
Bass: 10 o clock
Drive: around 10 or 11 o clock

As for the SVX track i really pushed the mids and treble and eq'd and compressed to fit the mix.
The idea behind the 3 tracks was to HP and LP each track so, that each track represents a part of the whole bass tone. Kinda like a puzzle...each piece on its own is nothing, but it makes sense when the all fit together.
I can upload the bass patch later on when i get home tonight if you would like?

Back
Top Bottom