D20 - Rickets (With Vocals)

cool. i'm getting a tool vibe from this track. i think the 'scream' vocals need some work, but i like the subdued soft ones. did you use any compression on the vocals? at some points the level seemed to get a little out of hand

The whispering vocals are very cool.
The drums are bit too compressed for my taste but very beefy nevertheless and the programming is great, just my taste! The screaming vocals are more than OK (and probably better than everything I did) but sound as if you haven't moved that much air when you recorded them ;-). They are good, but would be even better if they would have been SCREEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMEAEEEDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they could benefit from some double tracking and/or saturation or even distortion (maybe on parallel busses). I also would compress them some more in the mix.
I've heard better guitar sounds from you, as these seem to sound a bit thin to me. I blame it to the FAS modern model. The one single guitar at the beginning sounds cool though.

The vocal sound is pretty great, tell me more about your recording chain. voice -> sm7b -> ?? (pre?) -> ?? (interface?) -> cubase (iirc).

soggybomb said:
cool. i'm getting a tool vibe from this track. i think the 'scream' vocals need some work, but i like the subdued soft ones. did you use any compression on the vocals? at some points the level seemed to get a little out of hand

Thanks soggybomb!
I used compression on the vocals, but i guess they could benefit from some more. Thanks for listening and commenting! This is the like the second time i have ever record myself on vocals, so i guess i have a good bit to learn.

The whispering vocals are very cool.
The drums are bit too compressed for my taste but very beefy nevertheless and the programming is great, just my taste! The screaming vocals are more than OK (and probably better than everything I did) but sound as if you haven't moved that much air when you recorded them ;-). They are good, but would be even better if they would have been SCREEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMEAEEEDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they could benefit from some double tracking and/or saturation or even distortion (maybe on parallel busses). I also would compress them some more in the mix.
I've heard better guitar sounds from you, as these seem to sound a bit thin to me. I blame it to the FAS modern model. The one single guitar at the beginning sounds cool though.

The vocal sound is pretty great, tell me more about your recording chain. voice -> sm7b -> ?? (pre?) -> ?? (interface?) -> cubase (iirc).

Thanks RiF!!! Very happy you liked it!

I've never done screaming myself really, so this is all recorded from someone who doesn't have hardly any vocal recording experience. I don't consider myself that good of a screamer either, so i guess i'll have to work at that as well. :D I may go back and try some more processing on the vocals to see if i can do anything to make them sound a bit better. As for the guitars, i had already pre-recorded them from months ago, so i just left them how they are. I have however just been working on a new JMP 1 tone that i am really happy with. I'll probably use that on my next tune. i have another cover song that i am going to throw vocals on too soon as well. It is quite a bit more metal than this song though. :D

The vocals were recorded sm7b>samson c valve>delta 44>cubase 4

Insidian said:
Yeah man, that was bad ass. I really enjoyed that, everything sounded great to me. Deftones rule!!

Awesome! Glad you liked it! Thanks and i agree....Deftones rule! :D

I thought it was a good take, but it sounds like there were parts on the screams where you were forcing it a little too much and it sounded too strained. Also I think it'd sound better if the screams had more range to them, they were a bit monotone. A good starting point though!

All this is IMO, and meant completely constructively! I know I have recorded very few clips, so I don't have that much ground to stand on...

That has been your first screaming take? Kudos! Then my critique has been a bit harsh, coz for your first try this is great. There's a lot of potential and you are already close.

sm7b->samson c valve... € 400 mic into € 99 pre :eek: Who needs a Neve pre? OK, if it sounds good it is good... and it sounds definitely good.

Finaldo said:
I thought it was a good take, but it sounds like there were parts on the screams where you were forcing it a little too much and it sounded too strained. Also I think it'd sound better if the screams had more range to them, they were a bit monotone. A good starting point though!

All this is IMO, and meant completely constructively! I know I have recorded very few clips, so I don't have that much ground to stand on...

Thanks Finaldo! I still have a lot to learn with vocal tracking. I agree though some of the parts do sound a bit strained.

That has been your first screaming take? Kudos! Then my critique has been a bit harsh, coz for your first try this is great. There's a lot of potential and you are already close.

sm7b->samson c valve... € 400 mic into € 99 pre :eek: Who needs a Neve pre? OK, if it sounds good it is good... and it sounds definitely good.

Haha, its all good RiF.

Yeah i bought a drum machine years ago and the person i bought it from threw in the samson c valve. At the time i didn't even know what i mic pre was. I wish i could afford a better one, but the c valve will have to do for now. ;)

Hopefully the songs i track vocals on from now will just get better with time. :D

Back
Top Bottom