D20 - Man in the Box Clip

D20

Power User
Hey everyone,
Not sure how close i am with this one, but i tried my hardest to get the "Man in the Box" tone. Another one of my goals was to get my bass tone as close as i could as well to Mike Starr's because his tone to me is perfect! All Guitars were my Schecter C1 w EMGs using the JCM 900 amp model. Bass was two tracks. My Spector Euro in to the Ampeg model and another track using Ampeg SVX. Drums were my newly purchased Music City SDX from Toontrack. Hope you like the clip. I'd love to hear what you think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1046513/D20-ManintheBoxClip.mp3

I'm not 100% familiar with the actual mix of the song, but that sounds damn impressive, in guitar and bass terms! You really captured that "bite" that Cantrell has in his tone.

I may be forgetting something as it's been a while, but my old band did that song and I think I always played the rhythm guitar part with open low E string and fretting the A string at the 5th fret. It doesn't sound big and powerful like a power chord etc, but I think that's how they did it. It sounds, to my ears, like you're playing an E power chord. Feel free to flame me if I'm wrong...like I said...it's been a while. :) Still love that tune though.

cheers,
Steve

I'm not 100% familiar with the actual mix of the song, but that sounds damn impressive, in guitar and bass terms! You really captured that "bite" that Cantrell has in his tone.

Many thanks!!!

I may be forgetting something as it's been a while, but my old band did that song and I think I always played the rhythm guitar part with open low E string and fretting the A string at the 5th fret. It doesn't sound big and powerful like a power chord etc, but I think that's how they did it. It sounds, to my ears, like you're playing an E power chord. Feel free to flame me if I'm wrong...like I said...it's been a while. Still love that tune though.

cheers,
Steve

Haha! I'm not going to flame you bro lol! This is actually the way that i played it. Fretting the 5th fret on the A string and playing the E string open. I'm actually playing it dropped a whole step as well. Not sure if that contributes to anything or not.

That sounds flipping awesome man - good job!

Awesome! Thanks Toadfish!!!

I may be forgetting something as it's been a while, but my old band did that song and I think I always played the rhythm guitar part with open low E string and fretting the A string at the 5th fret. It doesn't sound big and powerful like a power chord etc, but I think that's how they did it. It sounds, to my ears, like you're playing an E power chord. Feel free to flame me if I'm wrong...like I said...it's been a while. :) Still love that tune though.

cheers,
Steve

You are 100% correct on that. That's how the song was played during the verses (and under the solo) on the original version.

D20,

I like it, overall. I just think that the "wah" part (where the guitar melody matches Layne Staley's voice) sounded a little thin & brittle, for some reason. I would try to beef that 1 tone up. Maybe even use the "vocoder" like you did with the other part, instead? Otherwise I liked it.

D20,

I like it, overall. I just think that the "wah" part (where the guitar melody matches Layne Staley's voice) sounded a little thin & brittle, for some reason. I would try to beef that 1 tone up. Maybe even use the "vocoder" like you did with the other part, instead? Otherwise I liked it.

I hear ya! I cut quite a bit of the lows out of this part to get the other parts to shine through. I could probably not have cut as much.

Thanks again everyone for the comments!!!!

Back
Top Bottom