D20 - Fate

D20

Power User
Testing some new guitar and bass tones and a new drum mix with this one. I'm using the 5150 model with the German and Brit cabs. Bass tone is just the Axe Fx on this one. I thought i would see what i could do just recording one track of bass instead of three like i usually do.

Please let me know what you think of the tones and the mix???

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=8295063 <----Updated mix (11-1-09) New guitar tone

Sounding good as always my friend. I thought the guitar tone sounded real good, my only comment on the mix is maybe the guitar was a tiny bit over powering. TBH im pretty amateur at mixing so take it with a grain of salt. Overall another good clip.

matt15f said:
Sounding good as always my friend. I thought the guitar tone sounded real good, my only comment on the mix is maybe the guitar was a tiny bit over powering. TBH im pretty amateur at mixing so take it with a grain of salt. Overall another good clip.

Thanks for the comment and thanks for listening!

I thought the guitars might be a bit too present. Thanks again! ;)

Awesome tone & riff as always! I think this clip might have a phase issue though - the overall sound is a bit squeezed. You may want to try adjusting the phase on one of the channels to see if it open the stereo image up.

Excellent tones and playing :D

However I do hear some phase anomalies/cancellations as mentioned above .. Using enhancer ?

Mik.

mik said:

However I do hear some phase anomalies/cancellations as mentioned above .. Using enhancer ?

Mik.
I agree. I only really noticed it with my headphones though, but when I listened with the headphones it was really obvious.

soggybomb said:
mik said:

Mik.
I agree. I only really noticed it with my headphones though, but when I listened with the headphones it was really obvious.

Cool thanks for the comments!

I'm working on a new mix of it and will post it when i'm finished. :D

Just updated the mix! I used the same guitar tone again except one of the guitar tracks is using a Recabinet IR (Randall IR)

Hope this sounds better than the last mix. ;)

Let me know what you think?

D20 said:
soggybomb said:
mik said:

Mik.

Cool thanks for the comments!

I'm working on a new mix of it and will post it when i'm finished. :D
Much better, although I heard a little bit of clipping at the end of the mix. It would have been an mp3 artifact, but just in case, check your final master for any waveform clipping.

Mr.PC said:
*headbanging now* :ugeek: Great stuff! :D

Many thanks!!! :D

Much better, although I heard a little bit of clipping at the end of the mix. It would have been an mp3 artifact, but just in case, check your final master for any waveform clipping.

Thanks again! I'll check it out and see if i can fix it. ;)

Fusion said:
Sounding pretty killer my brother!! Do you use the metal foundry with your SD2?

Thanks bro!!! ;)

Yeah i use the metal foundry with SD2.

I just updated the song. :D
New guitar tone and IMO a better mix. I didn't hear any clipping this time at the beginning, but chime in if you hear anything that sounds weird.

Sounds pretty amazing again... *sigh* I'm lightyears away from this kind of sound still :-( Although I hope to get better results through my new monitors...

Only small point of critique is that, although I love the snare sound, it is a tad too much in the mix. It sorta bangs everything else away...

D20, how did you get such a juicy tone from the 5150 without low-end-muddiness? Are you using a drive block in front? If so, which and how?
I like the 5150 model for it's organic sound, but it never delivered the juice for me. It always sounds scooped and if something is missing.

Awesome tone man - like the new mix too. The stereo spread comes across great with headphones, and the overall sound is very powerful. Just a thought... Do you have access to a compressor with a side chain? Running the mix through triggered on the bass drum might open it up a bit; let you back down the volume on the bass & kick a little without losing too much punch.

RiF said:
D20, how did you get such a juicy tone from the 5150 without low-end-muddiness? Are you using a drive block in front? If so, which and how?
I like the 5150 model for it's organic sound, but it never delivered the juice for me. It always sounds scooped and if something is missing.

Glad you liked it RiF!!! :D
I used a T808 in front of the 5150 with the drive around 2.24, tone at 7.01, and level at 8.43

I have always loved the sound of the 5150 and for some reason everytime i try other amp models i keep going back to it....
I know what you mean about it sounding scooped though. That is something i have had to work on quite a bit to get some midrange without over doing the low end.

I'll try to post the patch tomorrow if you want it RiF?

Awesome tone man - like the new mix too. The stereo spread comes across great with headphones, and the overall sound is very powerful. Just a thought... Do you have access to a compressor with a side chain? Running the mix through triggered on the bass drum might open it up a bit; let you back down the volume on the bass & kick a little without losing too much punch.

Thanks man!!!

I've tried side chain compression only like once or twice. With my mixes i have never really been satisfied with it. I may try it again someday, but i'm really a bass player, so that could just me subconsciously cranking the kick and bass levels. ;)

RiF said:
D20 said:
I used a T808 in front of the 5150 with the drive around 2.24, tone at 7.01, and level at 8.43
T808 or T808 MOD?

D20 said:
I'll try to post the patch tomorrow if you want it RiF?
Pleeezz!! Would be nice!

Sorry i can't get the patch yet. I put Windows 7 on my computer and have not had time to reinstall everything.

T808
Drive: 2.24
Tone: 7.01
Level: 8.43
CT: HV Tube
D: 7.36
B: 7.60
M: 2.40
T: 5.16
Pres: 1.65

2 mono cabs: German w/421 mic and Metal w/421 mic

Thats about it! ;)

Thanx for the settings D! No need for a patch if you did not mess around too much with the advanced settings.
A drive of 2 and level of 8.4 is pretty much gain, how high did you set your input knob on the axe? Which pickups are you using. I am running a Les Paul with stock pickups (pretty low output) where I have my input knob at noon. Don't get me wrong, I am not the kind of guy that says: "You have too much gain!".

Can you explain your reasons for choosing this cab / mic combo?

Back
Top Bottom