D20-Deftones Cover

D20

Power User
Hey everyone,

Well i haven't had a whole lot of time to sit down and record anything (been studying for a Microsoft Certification test a lot lately...), but i thought i would go back and re-do this song with the Axe Fx. This is one the more high energy songs from "Around the Fur" not to mention one of my all time favorite Deftones albums. All guitars were a modified version of my FAS Modern patch. Bass was my usual Axe, Sansamp, SVX combo and drums were Superior 2.0 Avatar kit, but with a kick from The Metal Foundry. Hope you all enjoy it. As usual I would love to hear if you like it or don't like it. ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=8148771

Great work D!!! Funny thing is that the beginning part was almost (if not) spot on!!! I couldn't tell the difference from the original!!! But when you started to play the individual parts then I could tell... great work!

Some great tones you got there, fits in the mix really well I thought,

I am assuming you used the mastering plugin on the main bus ? What kind of guitar ?

Mik.

Sounds spot on during the intro/chorus sections! I was waiting to hear the phone ring, but it sounds like you didn't get that part. :)

mortega76 said:
Great work D!!! Funny thing is that the beginning part was almost (if not) spot on!!! I couldn't tell the difference from the original!!! But when you started to play the individual parts then I could tell... great work!

Many thanks for the comment Mo! :D

Some great tones you got there, fits in the mix really well I thought,

I am assuming you used the mastering plugin on the main bus ? What kind of guitar ?

Mik.

Thanks for the comment mik! :D

For this song on the master bus i had a little bit of eq and some compression.

The guitar i used was my Schecter C1 Blackjack with EMG 81/85 pickups

Sounds spot on during the intro/chorus sections! I was waiting to hear the phone ring, but it sounds like you didn't get that part. :)

Thanks for checking it out Finaldo! :D

Yeah....i missed out on that part, but i am going to try to put some vocals on this one if i have time or get a chance to. ;)

Around the Fur is such a great album, probably my favorite of theirs. I like all their stuff, but that album was the first one I bought from them, and I guess I'm partial to it because that's what hooked me on them. Definitely repost when you put vocals on it, I'd like to hear it.

Finaldo said:
Around the Fur is such a great album, probably my favorite of theirs. I like all their stuff, but that album was the first one I bought from them, and I guess I'm partial to it because that's what hooked me on them. Definitely repost when you put vocals on it, I'd like to hear it.

No problem. One of my friends is going to let me borrow a mic and i am going to try out my vocals with it. I will say if i suck....i may not post the track with vocals. ;)

I don't know the original song/sound, but it sounds and is played phenomenal as always (again, I DIIIGGG the bass sound).
Although I can't hear these overcompressed snare anymore, the drum programming is way cool.
Something sounds clippy around 2:10 into the song. Is this something made on purpose?

RiF said:
I don't know the original song/sound, but it sounds and is played phenomenal as always (again, I DIIIGGG the bass sound).
Although I can't hear these overcompressed snare anymore, the drum programming is way cool.
Something sounds clippy around 2:10 into the song. Is this something made on purpose?

Thanks RiF!!!!!

You know when i was listening back to it i couldn't figure out why that was happening. I kept soloing tracks to see if i could pin point it, but i couldn't. I know that the master wasn't clipping either, so it is kind of a mystery to me....

I put a tad of extra saturation on the guitar bus (experimenting this time), which i though was it, but when i soloed it...it wasn't clipping... :?

I'm still working on getting a good mic to try to put vocals on this too.

D20 said:
If you want to buy one, don't underestimate these china-made large diaphragm condensers in the $200-$300 range. I have such a (tube-)mic and it's simply stunning.

Sounds really good mate! I really should try recording some heavy tones but I mostly use the Axefx for my live rig. Did you use much eqing in your patch? What other fx blocks did you utilise?

Nice work.

D20 wrote:

If you want to buy one, don't underestimate these china-made large diaphragm condensers in the $200-$300 range. I have such a (tube-)mic and it's simply stunning.

Hey RiF,

What mic do you have? I was looking at either getting a Shure Sm7b or possible a Rode NT1. I have tried out a Rode before and thought it was pretty decent for the price, but I'm looking to try out a Sm7b as well. I hear those are really good for rock and metal vocals.

Sounds really good mate! I really should try recording some heavy tones but I mostly use the Axefx for my live rig. Did you use much eqing in your patch? What other fx blocks did you utilise?

Nice work.

Thanks rdomain!

Its basically the FAS Modern amp into the 4X12 German and Cali Cabs. I used a slight bit of graphic eq after the amp block, and just a bit of eq in cubase as well as some saturation in cubase.

I have attached my patch if you want to check it out. Thanks again for the comment! ;)

Attachments

• Rickets Patch.zip
    562 bytes · Views: 37
Ok excellent. Thanks for that. I'm curious to see how studio patches differ to live patches. I'll check out!

Thanks again.

Ritchie

rdomain said:
Ok excellent. Thanks for that. I'm curious to see how studio patches differ to live patches. I'll check out!

Thanks again.

Ritchie

Hey no problem! I'd love to hear the differences that you find when you compare the two as well.

SwambA said:
Nice!!! Really good mix, everything fits together well!

Hey thanks for checking it out and commenting! :D

I'm always trying to better my mixes.

Back
Top Bottom