D20 - A track from my band's EP i'm recording

D20

Power User
I've been busy lately recording my band's (The Icarus Effect) EP and just finished up a track. I wanted to post the instrumental version of it here to see what you guys thought of how everything is sounding so far. Guitars are Recto and 5150 models. Bass is a few tracks. 1 axe fx, 1 direct, and 1 sansamp. Drums are S2.0 Avatar kit with a kick from Metal Foundry. Let me know what you guys think of how its sounding so far?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1046513/Eye%20Opener%20Mix.mp3

New mix here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1046513/Eye%20O ... ix%202.mp3

Sounds very NICE man! I think you must do something with kick, sounds a bit thin, but very good in general. Good work with bass and guitars! and very good song!

I do love loud guitars, but I think you could bring down their levels a bit to allow the bass and kick a bit of room to breathe. One of the things I always like about your clips that you post on this board is the massive bass tone that you get, and I would like to be able to hear more of it when the guitars enter. I would reinforce the kick with another sample. The one you have has good weight, but I think you should add in another with more attack, something with a nice click to it. Other than those tweaks, I like what you have done here, and the guitar tone is stellar.

Song sounds very good! I would avoid using Icarus in the name after Periphery already used it. :)

The mix is very good IMO. Guitars should be a bit lower if you have a vocalist but the tone is amazing. Patch please! :) What cabinet did you use?

I guess the drums are the only thing that requires work. Especially the snare. There's so much that goes into mixing real snare tracks that it's always been quite impossible for me to try that on SD2. Right now your drums don't sound 100% realistic and that's probably because they don't have dynamics. Would sound so much better if someone played them with a high end electric kit. Would sound even better if someone played real drums on those tracks. I think SD2 will give you good quality tonewise but not feelwise. Anyways I love this song so keep up the good work!

Nice work. I agree a bit more of the bass/kick would gaive this a boost.

I would avoid using Icarus in the name after Periphery already used it.

Not really an issue IMO, as they used it after Kansas had (Icarus - Born On Wings Of Steel from 'Masque'), about 35 years ago.

shep said:
I would avoid using Icarus in the name after Periphery already used it.

Not really an issue IMO, as they used it after Kansas had (Icarus - Born On Wings Of Steel from 'Masque'), about 35 years ago.

I'd wait another 35 years and then use it again but it's just my personal preference. Your genres are very close to each other so people might think it's fanboyism. :)

soggybomb said:
I do love loud guitars, but I think you could bring down their levels a bit to allow the bass and kick a bit of room to breathe. One of the things I always like about your clips that you post on this board is the massive bass tone that you get, and I would like to be able to hear more of it when the guitars enter. I would reinforce the kick with another sample. The one you have has good weight, but I think you should add in another with more attack, something with a nice click to it. Other than those tweaks, I like what you have done here, and the guitar tone is stellar.

Many thanks! Me being the bass player in the band....a good bass tone is something i really try get right. I just reworked the mix a bit and worked on the drums a bit more and the bass tone. I also EQ'd the guitars a tad more as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1046513/Eye%20O ... ix%202.mp3

Song sounds very good! I would avoid using Icarus in the name after Periphery already used it. :)

The mix is very good IMO. Guitars should be a bit lower if you have a vocalist but the tone is amazing. Patch please! :) What cabinet did you use?

I guess the drums are the only thing that requires work. Especially the snare. There's so much that goes into mixing real snare tracks that it's always been quite impossible for me to try that on SD2. Right now your drums don't sound 100% realistic and that's probably because they don't have dynamics. Would sound so much better if someone played them with a high end electric kit. Would sound even better if someone played real drums on those tracks. I think SD2 will give you good quality tonewise but not feelwise. Anyways I love this song so keep up the good work!

Cool thanks Clark Kent!
I'll have to see about getting the patch of my Ultra when i get home. I'll try to post it tonight sometime.
Right now tracking real drums isn't possible for me. I could probably do it in my home studio, but it would be tough having two kids (1 and 3 years old) and the neighbors might not like it all that much either haha! Currently i video tape my drummer at practice and input what he does. I think we are kinda going for good tones for the EP, so S2.0 is my go to for drums. I do plan on getting an E kit in the future though as i would love to be actually able to drum out the parts for my songs as well as getting our drummer to drum out his for our albums.

As far as the name.....i'm not too worried about it. I don't consider us djent, and i'm not really into the djenty guitar tones either. Don't get me wrong, i love Periphery/Bulb, Tesseract, Monuments, etc...., but I don't ever plan on touring or getting signed or anything....we just play because we love music. I tried the whole touring thing and trying to get signed before i got married and had kids. It was a great time, but there is no way i could support my family and leave them for months or more at a time.

Nice work. I agree a bit more of the bass/kick would gaive this a boost.

Many thanks! New mix with reworked kick in this post and at the top! :D

Sounds cool. Don't sweat on the 'Icarus' thing. I know Bulb and I'm pretty sure he could care less. :lol:

Sounds cool. Don't sweat on the 'Icarus' thing. I know Bulb and I'm pretty sure he could care less. :lol:

Thanks Gorilla!!! I'm not too worried about the name thing. ;)

Great tune!! - Second mix is definitely an improvement. Keep on posting tunes!

Awesome! Thanks Kracked!

Yup, that's a wicked mix, good job dude!

Thanks Nolly! Your mixes and tones are always top notch as well!

I like the changes, they helped clean up the mix quite a bit. Great job!

Thanks soggybomb! Glad the changes cleaned it up!

Seriously good. Total thumbs-up!

Awesome! Thanks Scott!!!

Great Job, cant wait to hear the rest of it. I also like the arrangement of the song.
The newest mix is much much better, everything can be heard clearly.
I can hear two guitar tracks, is it two or four?
The rhythm guitars are huge , are there any presets available?

:ugeek:

clark81 said:
Great Job, cant wait to hear the rest of it. I also like the arrangement of the song.
The newest mix is much much better, everything can be heard clearly.
I can hear two guitar tracks, is it two or four?
The rhythm guitars are huge , are there any presets available?

:ugeek:

Thanks clark81!

Yeah its just two rhythm tracks panned 100% L/R

I had time to copy the settings from the 5150 patch this morning right before i left for work.
Filter block trick (from the axe fx wiki)
Drive - none Tone - 5 Level - Full
Amp = 5150 model Drive - 1.54 Bass 6.89 Mid 3.66 Treb Brt 5.16 Pres .55 Depth 0 Damp 6.14 Sag 6.30 Master 2.40 Warmth 5.00
Cab is the Brit 4X12 with the 421 mic

Oi geezah! That's one massive wall of sound again there :) Question: how did you achieve that part where some vocal sample is scatched? Is that a sample on its own already? Or did you scratch them with a turntable yourself? Or did you use some DAW tricks on a normal spoken wav?

Fusion said:
Oi geezah! That's one massive wall of sound again there :) Question: how did you achieve that part where some vocal sample is scatched? Is that a sample on its own already? Or did you scratch them with a turntable yourself? Or did you use some DAW tricks on a normal spoken wav?

Thanks Fusion!!! :D

The part that was scratched was actually scratched on a turntable by my DJ/guitarist.

Thanks man! Glad you liked it!

My singer needs to get back in town so i can finish vox on this track!!!!

Hey man,

I'm just reading up and finding out about the whole axe-fx thing... your mix sounds incredible... so for guitars/bass your using the axe-fx, you using something like superior 2.0 for the drums?

What are you recording this in... protools?

Cheers bud,

Back
Top Bottom