Cynic In Portland

OmegaZero

Inspired
Saw these guys in Portland, OR last night - wasn't really familiar with their stuff going in, but it was a pretty awesome show. They hung out a bit afterword too, which was cool. The crowd was a bit subdued, but that's sort of a Portland thing. That, and it was about 1000 degrees in the room. The particular venue they played is notorious for having muddy sound, but overall they sounded pretty darn good once things were dialed in. Talk about getting the most out of your effects rig; the depth and complexity of some of their guitar sounds is incredible. I can only imagine the truckload of gear they needed before they had the Axe.

Like I said, awesome show. I'm going to have to check out some of their studio stuff...

Some details would help:

1) which band?
2) Which venue?

Yes, it is very hot here at the moment.

Thanks.

MKeditor said:
Some details would help:

1) which band?
2) Which venue?

Yes, it is very hot here at the moment.

Thanks.

Cynic In Portland? :p

I saw Cynic here a while back. First band were a terrible local band, the Cynic played and were freakin' amazing, and then we left. Screw Edguy. :oops:

But yeah, I wasn't actually expecting to do those big atmospheric swirly sounds and whatnot. I remember when I first realised they were doing it, I was watching Tymon seemingly randomly hitting the strings and wondering WTF he was doing, coz I wasn't hearing any such guitar part. Then I realised he must have been doing the whacko FX in the background. :eek:

Axe-FX! :mrgreen:

Sorry, I guess my post was a bit ambiguous. Cynic is the name of the band - they played at the Hawthorne Theater last night (7/24). Both guitarists run ultras direct, and they use pretty much the full extent of the unit's capabilities. Despite playing what I would consider to be a challenging venue, they sounded great. Good set, good songs, good energy... awesome show.

First band here was a local also. One of the openers was pretty good though - I think they were called Intronaut.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them when they come to Florida in a few weeks. I caught them earlier this year, I guess as an "opener" for Between the Buried and Me... Great show, better than average sound for a club show opener, too. Didn't stick around for BtBaM... Checked out the first song and decided it wasn't for me.

Looking forward to hearing more/all of "Focus" this time! "Sentiment" and "I'm But a Wave To..." have been long time favorites!

Seeing Cynic next week in Toronto, and hopefully taping. :)

If anyone needs an Ultra it's Lifeson - saw Rush recently and while it was overall a good show, Alex in particular had gear trouble all night, that cleared up in time for La Villa Strangiato.

OmegaZero said:
First band here was a local also. One of the openers was pretty good though - I think they were called Intronaut.

Yeah... we don't really have many good metal bands here. So we got Cynic, wedged between two crappy power metal bands.

"Yeah, that's great, you held a high note. Well done. It's just a shame the note you were singing wasn't anywhere near the key the rest of the band is in." :|

Hopefully Cynic will make it down here again, and hopefully they'll some kind of more appropriate line up for the night.

DNW said:
"Yeah, that's great, you held a high note. Well done. It's just a shame the note you were singing wasn't anywhere near the key the rest of the band is in." :|
What's scary is I live in Texas, and I think I've seen that same band play here. :shock: :lol:

In fact for a while half the bands my wife and I saw around here where just completely awful. 1 or 2, OK ones, but on the whole just crap. The scariest part was that there where people that simply loved them that where still somewhat sober. :?

JMZ93 said:

If anyone needs an Ultra it's Lifeson - saw Rush recently and while it was overall a good show, Alex in particular had gear trouble all night, that cleared up in time for La Villa Strangiato.

Alex just got one but hasn't had time to use it much.

FractalAudio said:
JMZ93 said:

That's awesome, I'd like to see what he does with it. Maybe he can get some laundry appliances (or chicken rotisseries) for his side of the stage, too. :lol:

Guitar-Tiz said:
The scariest part was that there where people that simply loved them that where still somewhat sober. :?

Yeah, I don't get it either. They'll all be cheering and it's like, "Surely you're taking this piss. Coz you can't genuinely be cheering over the fact that he just sustained a high pitched noise that's nowhere in any key, unless you're going to argue that he's deliberately adding an atonal/microtonal element to the band." :?

Add in the boring cliched metal rhythms, the wonderfully original harmonising of guitar parts in thirds, and the off key guitar soloing, and you've hit solid gold!

FractalAudio said:
JMZ93 said:

Alex is one of my all time favorite guitarists and he has always struck me as a guy that would really dig the Fractal. Great to hear he's got one to play with!

Back
Top Bottom