Cygnus Update - Retaining old amp block settings in a preset copy ?

Argana

Hey folks !

I have a specific question, and I hope that the title is accurate enough for what I mean, haha.

So I have 1 specific preset that is my main 'go-to' rhythm sound for recording. We can talk about it all day, but it has the best low + high end for what I do.
This preset is made in Ares v15.01.
I've updated to 16.0 Cygnus, and I'm absolutely loving it. I copied my main rhythm guitar preset, reset the amp block on the copy and checked the difference. The difference has a lot of positivity, but ! I would also like to keep my old copy of this preset and keep it the way it was. Up until now this looks like no problem.

The question really is.. Do I have to keep something in mind when I do this?
Is this kind of 'old' settings preservation going to be problematic in any way, at some point in time? For example if I would now make a backup of my presets. And I would load them back in.. Would this 'original' rhythm guitar preset not be the same anymore?

I apologize if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find any answers in the forum myself. A link would be appreciated :) .

I hope that's clear enough, haha.

Thanks in advance, and thank you Fractal-Audio once again for an amazing update !

EDIT: I find it interesting how accurate the low end is since 'Dynamic Depth' got removed (compared to the original preset I made in v15.01).
I didn't take it off the default settings, but still :p. Maybe that's just my M-Comp settings doing a good job :)

Last edited:
Did you make a backup of all your presets before upgrading? You should do a full backup of everything before an upgrade. If so you can always fall back to those. I'm not positive but I think your presets will remain unchanged until you save them with the new firmware. Once saved they will be in whatever format the new firmware saves them in.

I'm not positive but I think your presets will remain unchanged until you save them with the new firmware. Once saved they will be in whatever format the new firmware saves them in.

This is my understanding as well. The internal modelling data and values are all updated automatically, but your saved preset data and chosen parameter values are not altered until you load and then save each preset. Doing a soft reset or a channel reset of the block will update your preset's values to the current FW's defaults for that model.

I also have some 'Holy Grail' presets from 15.01. After upgrading to 16.0, I found that NOT RESETTING THE AMP keeps my old values, but I still get the benefits of the new Cygnus algorithm and my most precious presets sound even BETTER than in 15.01, I just changed the name to like 'JP2C NR' for 'no reset' so I can remember that I did not reset the amp in those presets! Most of my other presets actually sounded better after a reset - especially the Fender clean amps.

I include the firmware number in my preset names for two reasons. One is for archiving purposes, and the occasional look back at how I did things. The other is in case of issues with needing to roll firmware back and having presets that are not compatible. I recently had my system settings wiped amidst one of the beta updates and needed to roll back to 15.0 to get those settings back. Because I could identify which presets would show up as "empty" I knew not to worry about those or touch them until I got back to 16b.

Back
Top Bottom