Cygnus Question .......

I had updated my FM3 to the FW 4.00 and I had uploaded the new presets based upon the Cygnus firmware.

I was expecting a change in tone and feel since I was going from Ares to Cygnus, however, I really didn't notice anything different from Ares to Cygnus and I usually notice them right away plus I have heard the differences in the YouTube videos where people are demoing Cygnus or comparing Cygnus to Ares.

From all the different posts that I have been reading, it sounds like we don't need to do anything to the presets since they are already based upon the Cygnus firmware.

Any suggestions?

Additionally, I thought I should mention that I am going into a tube power amp and using actual cabs (no IR's).

Thank you for your time and suggestions :)

Hi @playingitloud
I’m from axe fx 3 so experience may not be relevant, but when I changed to Cygnus, there was a big difference, particularly with the new factory presets! The new factory presets were developed using Cygnus so there’s nothing to change there.
I’d do it again, just in case the update didn’t actually work.
Thanks
Pauly

I had updated my FM3 to the FW 4.00 and I had uploaded the new presets based upon the Cygnus firmware.

I was expecting a change in tone and feel since I was going from Ares to Cygnus, however, I really didn't notice anything different from Ares to Cygnus and I usually notice them right away plus I have heard the differences in the YouTube videos where people are demoing Cygnus or comparing Cygnus to Ares.

From all the different posts that I have been reading, it sounds like we don't need to do anything to the presets since they are already based upon the Cygnus firmware.

Any suggestions?

Additionally, I thought I should mention that I am going into a tube power amp and using actual cabs (no IR's).

Thank you for your time and suggestions :)

Do you have power amp modeling disabled (since you mentioned a tube power amp)? If so you probably wouldn't hear much change

To my ears it's not night and day but my ears might be bad and I didn't sit and do A/B comparisons. I do like the factory presets have been overhauled a bit and sound better to me but it may just be new tweaks. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Ares sounded fine to me. Cygnus does too. For me it's not night and day. It's subtle, but I'd be happy with either if no updates were to come anymore.

what is the question?
"Any suggestions?" was the question regarding my statement of "I was expecting a change in tone and feel since I was going from Ares to Cygnus, however, I really didn't notice anything different from Ares to Cygnus" (I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to get the change in tone and feel as stated/found by many people who had updated it).

The "suggestions" that were provided by the others had helped me to get it :)

Hi @playingitloud
I’m from axe fx 3 so experience may not be relevant, but when I changed to Cygnus, there was a big difference, particularly with the new factory presets! The new factory presets were developed using Cygnus so there’s nothing to change there.
I’d do it again, just in case the update didn’t actually work.
Thanks
Pauly

Hey @pauly,

I think the firmware didn't completely update the first time since I had tried it again as you suggested and it does sound like a different firmware version now!!

The first time I did the update I had noticed that when I had opened the FM3-Edit and things were resyncing, the Windows "hourglass" had looked like it was frozen which had never happened in the past (the one that shows up after the firmware update), so it might not have completely updated.

Thank you again for the suggestion :)

If you are happy with the tone, just keep playing :)
Yeah, I have been pretty happy with the Ares tone but I was curious to hear the changes that had been discussed/mentioned in here.

I waited until last week to finally do the firmware update and when there wasn't any real change then I figured that either I needed to do something more or there must have been something done incorrectly during the firmware update process (this was the case since there is a different tone/feel to it now).

Thanks for the reply :)

Do you have power amp modeling disabled (since you mentioned a tube power amp)? If so you probably wouldn't hear much change
I had wondered if the power amp modeling being disabled would affect the new tone/feel of Cygnus enough to not feel/hear much of a difference so I tried it with headphones (and turned the PA modeling back on) and it still sounded/felt like Ares, however, I did update the firmware again and there was a definite change in tone/feel.

The first time it seemed like something might not have completed correctly since the Windows "hourglass" had seemed frozen to me for a decent period of time.

I am enjoying the Cygnus right now and I will most likely update my AX3 next week after comparing the Ares and Cygnus this weekend.

Thanks again for the reply :)

First, I was a complete newbie when Cygnus came along. My unit shipped with Ares and I only had a few days on it before the Cygnus update and updating. The thing I noticed the most from my rather inexperienced position was the better “feel” and not necessarily the tone. Since the “feel” part was the thing that always made me dislike modeling I was very, very happy. Now with the latest F/W and updated presets, etc. I believe the tone is better in many areas. From what I can tell it’s the clean and edge of breakup or guitar volume control gain sounds that benefited the most. Then again that’s what I like the most. Although I can dig a big nasty model too!

Edit:
I do want to say that I’m aware that those with lots of user presets are presented with a bit of a conundrum in regards to updates. I don’t know how I would be if I had a bunch of my own presets that put a bunch of work into and not sure what changes will happen.

Back
Top Bottom