Cygnus Is....Absolutely Magnificent!

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
I auditioned Cygnus last night for a couple of hours and my immediate impressions after about 2 minutes into the session:

-Cygnus is absolutely magnificent...stunning; I was astounded within seconds after the first few chords/notes I played...literally. It's everything everbody has said it is, and the difference is immediately noticeable and not subtle.

-there is so much 'body' to the tones now, and this is especially noticeable on individual notes with cleaner amps. It's like your hearing more of the 'wood' and depth of the guitar itself come through. I'm not sure how to describe this but man, there is just so much heft, weight, and overall body that was not there before.

-the notes just jump of the strings like never before; there is an articulation and attack that is immediate and reacts with changes in picking dynamics in a most satisfying way...it's really hitting the spot for me.

-the range between clean/overdrive/distortion is very wide and extremely nuanced; the sense of overall dynamics and touch sensitivity is out of this world.

-there seems to be more separation between individual strings/notes/harmonics and the overall 'mix' of harmonic distortion is smoother, richer, and detailed.

-the low end and punch is tight and the sense of hammering the low E string and power chords is astounding; there is a 'clang' and a rude, in-your-face 'brrrrang' that is so tube amp like it's stunning.

As time progressed and I started really tweaking/auditioning some amps I noticed:

-every amp I tried sounded and felt better then ever, including some amps I never bonded with at all previously. Dynamic feel, overdrive/distortion/ attack characteristics and individual personalities/colors of each model are now revealed like never before. Just crazy...

-one of the biggest, and most rewarding, discoveries was how the separation of the preamp and power amp distortion characteristics are now so easy to hear and feel. Amps with a Master Volume have a much wider range of 'effectiveness' as bringing up/down the MV definitely has more latitude in 'mixing' the two stages. I noticed that I can run the MV much less in general to get the required contribution of the power amp I like and again, cranking the MV seems to not have the amp 'fall apart' as abruptly. Even with non-MV amps the Input Drive has an amazing 'tweakability' to fine tune the power amp's contributions to feel/overdrive.

-the Class A/Fender/Vox amps are out of this world; the words that kept coming up again and again were body and fullness; again, the 'wood' of the guitar comes though like crazy. Single notes on a Strat in the upper registers on a clean amp are just so full with a depth not heard/felt before on FAS devices.

-similarly, my lead sounds are that much more fatter as well and have a dynamic articulation that is amazing...

-I tested out the various amps after resetting the block and found I only needed to tweak the basic settings for about 15 seconds to reach tonal bliss...wow.
-Cygnus is rude and barks like a sweating, cooking tube amps does....outstanding.

I'm incredibly inspired by this release and can't wait to dig into Cygnus more...it's almost ridiculous to have this level of 'connection' in a modeling rig lol, and since the various amps have more individual character it's like we've gotten an entirely new device. There is so much to explore here...very exciting.

Fantastic job Cliff and FAS...truly amazing stuff here...you guys have really, really upped the ante for modeling.

Cygnus is what I have been after for years. I want raw amp tone that's been the biggest requirement and complaint for me through the years. I still wish Fractal would model the knob behavior correctly as well, Keep it not perfect.

But I hands down love this direction Cliff has taken

Make sure to play around with the speaker compression. It got a big overhaul in Cygnus but a lot of people aren't experiencing the glory because their speaker compression is set at the default of 0. Time constant (lower for light or higher for heavy feel), and compliance (turn it up to simulate a broken-in speaker) are also well worth tweaking.

No, but Cygnus is.
Thank you for the actual answer to my question. Appreciate it
Typically I would use Axe Fx only for FX in my rig. However , after Cygnus release I been really digging amp tone with new firmware. .

Attachments

• F34959DD-3ABE-4A64-B0E7-EFFC58BE5A58.jpeg
    F34959DD-3ABE-4A64-B0E7-EFFC58BE5A58.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 64
Make sure to play around with the speaker compression. It got a big overhaul in Cygnus but a lot of people aren't experiencing the glory because their speaker compression is set at the default of 0. Time constant (lower for light or higher for heavy feel), and compliance (turn it up to simulate a broken-in speaker) are also well worth tweaking.
Thank you. Are you referring to compression in speaker drive menu?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 4.38.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 4.38.53 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Yes Cygnus is rocking my face. I rerecorded some guitars for my band's demos last night and I was able to dial in a tone easily. Not only has the Cygnus modeling made a drastic improvement but having access to the ultra res cabs is inspiring. Sounds so much more real. After some quick tweaking in the preamp section of the cab block I was recording some sweet high gains tones. Just magnificent. It's what I've always wanted to hear in a floor unit.

Also if you haven't messed with the preamp section in the cab block for recording and layering guitars, you're missing out. They sound wonderful.

I still wish Fractal would model the knob behavior correctly as well
How? The manufacturers are not consistent, the components are not consistent. They have discussed this many times and if you have a better idea than what they're doing I'm sure they'd love to hear it. Otherwise, accept the fact you're going to have to turn the knobs and find the best sound for you.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/no-two-amps-sound-the-same-fact-or-fallacy.109537/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/why-your-amp-doesnt-sound-like-our-amp.172907

Thank you for the actual answer to my question. Appreciate it
Typically I would use Axe Fx only for FX in my rig. However , after Cygnus release I been really digging amp tone with new firmware. .
Tip of the hat to the seafom green rack. Don't you know that laying that cab sideways like that rotates the sound 90 degrees off? Your recordings will be out of phase. Make sure you rotate your mics to compensate.

So I got my FM3 in February and have gone though some update cycles and each one kept making it better, but this new update is like a whole new product. Really impressed.
That's why there's like ten thousand instances of this picture all over this forum:

iu

How? The manufacturers are not consistent, the components are not consistent. They have discussed this many times and if you have a better idea than what they're doing I'm sure they'd love to hear it. Otherwise, accept the fact you're going to have to turn the knobs and find the best sound for you.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/no-two-amps-sound-the-same-fact-or-fallacy.109537/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/why-your-amp-doesnt-sound-like-our-amp.172907
Jesus, I only said I wished, take a couple of breaths and step away from the keyboard for a minute

Jesus, I only said I wished, take a couple of breaths and step away from the keyboard for a minute
Gotta love the internet!

Putting things in context, his question to you was absolutely correct. How exactly do you do that?

Also, you've got to realize that some of these questions have been beaten to death (my personal favorite is European Price Gouging or EPG as I think we should all refer to it henceforth). You just happened to stumble upon such a topic.

But I hands down love this direction Cliff has taken

Me too...when it was stated Cygnus was going to overthrow the 'polished, mic'ed, studio tone paradigm' and replace it with 'raw, unrefined clangy brrrrang amp tone' (lol I can't remember exactly how Cliff described it several months ago but it was something like that) I was all 'yessssssssssssssssss....do it, do it....yesssss!"

Also if you haven't messed with the preamp section in the cab block for recording and layering guitars, you're missing out. They sound wonderful.

I will indeed be doing a deep dive into every nook and cranny Cygnus has to offer for some time and will take these recommendations as places to look into. I remember reading the Cygnus thread on the III forum and several users also were stating the Speaker Compression was wondrous.

But, alas, after a scorching, very hot sunny day here the temperature dropped about 10 degrees Celsius suddenly and we are currently experiencing a very nasty thunderstorm...lighting is intense and close; we had a thunderclap that I swore was going to break a window just a couple of minutes ago. Of course this all happened right before I was going to settle in and peel off a couple of more layers of this new, absolutely sublime modelling.....but 'no soup for you!' for a bit it seems.

Back
Top Bottom