Cygnus Gain

My Triple Rectifier is in our garage collecting dust, along with other tube amps..since I switched to Fractal in 2009.
I named it FizzyMoto…
Haha, I had a triple as well. Young me thought it was the coolest amp out there. I got a Bogner Uberschal a few years later and never touched the recto again. Now with the FAS stuff, I haven’t even turned on a tube amp in years!

Hey Budda, here is one preset. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Attachments

• Friedman HBE.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
16K is pretty up there. Most of us over 40 would be lucky to hear anything over a whisper.
fun fact. I was generating waves thru my Adam ribbon tweeter monitors to see the upper level of my hearing. 12k, good. 14k good. 15k a little tough. Between 16-17k, silence. Turned the volume up. My tweeters literally started smoking heavy white smoke. 350 dollar lesson the hard way.
taming a mesa fizz I’d start cutting at 4K and work my way up. Couldn’t see going past 10k.

That's amazing lol. I can definitely hear the 16k on the 10 band remove a ton of high end content. It leads me to believe the 16k isn't actually 16k. That being said, I can still hear 16k. I'm 36 but also take care of my hearing. I don't listen to music loudly and have only been to a handful concerts.

A little late to the party on this one, but the next band on the MXR 10-band below 16K is 8K, so I think it's safe to say that the 16k band isn't a very narrow Q right at 16 and then nothing down to 8, but probably a pretty wide Q affecting a wide range of frequencies centered on 16k, but probably affecting a good portion of the frequencies above 8k.

First amp I bought was a Rev G Dual Recto. Loved it. Pushed it with a Maxon OD808 and had an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop. That was the trick for me to dial in the right amount of anti-flub/anti-fizz to get where I needed to go, before I picked up an AxeFxIIXL when those came out and haven't looked back. Recto sat for years and actually just sold it with all 4 cabs last summer.

A little late to the party on this one, but the next band on the MXR 10-band below 16K is 8K, so I think it's safe to say that the 16k band isn't a very narrow Q right at 16 and then nothing down to 8, but probably a pretty wide Q affecting a wide range of frequencies centered on 16k, but probably affecting a good portion of the frequencies above 8k.
I think the Q is the same for every band. You need to think in octaves when dealing with Qs (and EQs in general) and not in frequencies.
16k-8k is one octave, as is 8k-4k, 4k-2k and so on

I think the Q is the same for every band. You need to think in octaves when dealing with Qs (and EQs in general) and not in frequencies.
Correct. The bandwidth for the constant Q types can be found by taking the geometric mean of the frequencies.

For example if the bands are ... 1K, 2K, 4K ... the 2K band's lower frequency will be the geometric mean of 1K and 2K and the upper frequency is the geometric mean of 2K and 4K -> f_low = 1.4K and f_high = 2.8K.

For some EQ types the lowest and highest bands are shelving filters.

So incorrect use of Q, but my reasoning was sound: the "frequency range" of the 16k band can't be a narrow range right around 16k, it would be wider range extended further down towards 8k, and therefore why turning down the 16K on a 10-band is still audible even to people who can't hear 16k anymore, and could be used by the guy above to tame the fizz on his rectifier without him needing to be a superhuman or a 20 year old.

people complaining about rectos being flabby have obviously never played real recto. They're all flub city and sometimes fizz city when talking about the 3ch models..

I love some of the updated models but on a few, the bass response/gain sounds very....idk fuzzy? Like when I hit a palm mute it just isn't clear and sounds like a wall of fuzz. I've tried lowering the bass and gain but to no luck. Anyone else with similar "issues"? I notice it most on the 5153 100w red and recto. Thanks!
Did you end up getting it sorted mate?

immolation started using peavey triple XXXs in conjunction with the dual rectifiers to get a slightly tighter sound too.

But yea jeff loomis knew how to use a recto right for sure.

Immolation has good tone and gain. It's just the right grind. I'm able to get a lot of their styles of tone out of my axe fx 3!

Speaking of which, the new album that was just released Acts of God, is so unique!. Very ominous and Wierd where it needs to be. Creepy moments in this one. It's a true masterpiece.

They have used a wide variety of amps over the years and have gotten good tone from all of them. It's more about how one dials stuff in and not scooping so may mids out.

They know just the right cut man.

I remember gassing over the Mesa, with that diamond plate front and cool looks. Then I heard it live. Muddy bottomed Dual Rectumfire.

Back
Top Bottom