Cygnus Gain

My first all tube head was a roadster around 2007. I hated that buzzy sizzle. It added an mxr 10 band in the loop and took down 16khz a few notches and that cleared it up. In the axe fx 16khz doesn't seem to have the same effect leading me to believe the mxr is probably not really at 16khz. Whatever frequency it is in there does tame the fizz.

My first all tube head was a roadster around 2007. I hated that buzzy sizzle. It added an mxr 10 band in the loop and took down 16khz a few notches and that cleared it up. In the axe fx 16khz doesn't seem to have the same effect leading me to believe the mxr is probably not really at 16khz. Whatever frequency it is in there does tame the fizz.
The Recto Verb 50 had a lot less of that going on

Reactions: J.C
16K is pretty up there. Most of us over 40 would be lucky to hear anything over a whisper.
fun fact. I was generating waves thru my Adam ribbon tweeter monitors to see the upper level of my hearing. 12k, good. 14k good. 15k a little tough. Between 16-17k, silence. Turned the volume up. My tweeters literally started smoking heavy white smoke. 350 dollar lesson the hard way.
taming a mesa fizz I’d start cutting at 4K and work my way up. Couldn’t see going past 10k.

16K is pretty up there. Most of us over 40 would be lucky to hear anything over a whisper.
fun fact. I was generating waves thru my Adam ribbon tweeter monitors to see the upper level of my hearing. 12k, good. 14k good. 15k a little tough. Between 16-17k, silence. Turned the volume up. My tweeters literally started smoking heavy white smoke. 350 dollar lesson the hard way.
taming a mesa fizz I’d start cutting at 4K and work my way up. Couldn’t see going past 10k.

Funny/Not funny 😬 I had a similar experience with testing some subwoofers in the house, doing a frequency sweep. Started smelling some "heat" and immediately killed that test lol

As far as honing in on offensive frequencies, I usually put a PEQ after the cab, then Q at 10, gain at -7 and start sweeping the frequency until I what I don't like is less prevalent. Then adjust the Q and gain into a slightly less dramatic slope around that frequency.

That's amazing lol. I can definitely hear the 16k on the 10 band remove a ton of high end content. It leads me to believe the 16k isn't actually 16k. That being said, I can still hear 16k. I'm 36 but also take care of my hearing. I don't listen to music loudly and have only been to a handful concerts.

Good for you! ;)
I'm trampling my 72 years.🧑‍🦼
I would already be happy to hear 8kHz.
At 6500Hz my ear stopped.👂
My left ear has been ringing for 17 years! - constantly, without a break!👂🦴
I have to be very careful with the treble so as not to overdo it.

That's amazing lol. I can definitely hear the 16k on the 10 band remove a ton of high end content. It leads me to believe the 16k isn't actually 16k. That being said, I can still hear 16k. I'm 36 but also take care of my hearing. I don't listen to music loudly and have only been to a handful concerts.
I use a 10 band GEQ block and a scene controller to knock down the 16k band a bit for the scenes that I have the tube screamer OD block on. I feel it gets rid of some unwanted fizz particularly in the lower to middle notes or chords. When I reduce the 16k on my rhythm scene I don't hear the chirp or what sound or feels like a bit of headroom. So I don't know that I can hear it, I only know what it does to my sound. It's a recent discovery and the scene change feels organic and the gain isn't overbearing or fizzy because the top end is knocked off. It's great that you can assign a scene controller to the GEQ bands.

Back
Top Bottom