Cygnus Gain

I had a beautiful Trem-O-Verb combo amp.

Coming from Fenders and the Mark Series background .....for the life of me I could not get any sound that I was comfortable with!

Never used it. Made my studio look cool though.

Finally got rid of it after a few years. Freakin thing weighed a ton!

I wonder if it's possible to remove / mod out the components responsible for the Dual Recto's treble rolloff. Or put them on a toggle switch. Then again I can't be the first person who has thought about that, and I've never heard of such a mod, so maybe not.

Last edited:
The two channel treadplate triple is easily the best of the lot, imo. I sold mine sadly but it was far too loud and heavy.

Dual rectifier = chaos, brutality, ugliness. It sounds like fried asshole. If you play chaotic death metal like immolation, it works completely.

Tell me the album in general doesn't sound like a giant wall of ugly fizz and ridiculous low end. Non metal listeners will probably hear this and instantly recoil.

Rectos sound a bit weird alone but they tend to sit in the mix magically I find, they also have a pretty narrow sweet spot in terms of settings (like a lot of Mesas) and some weird shit can work well like turning off the presence etc. Definitely need to be boosted with a TS to get any tightness happening in high gain. This is a 2-channel recto I believe:

Rectos sound a bit weird alone but they tend to sit in the mix magically I find, they also have a pretty narrow sweet spot in terms of settings (like a lot of Mesas) and some weird shit can work well like turning off the presence etc. Definitely need to be boosted with a TS to get any tightness happening in high gain. This is a 2-channel recto I believe:

I am almost certain thats one of the records that does a 5150/dual rec mix. May be wrong! But it is also very common for bands to have a dual rec mixed with a tighter amp, very very very common. Decapitated did that. The band deeds of flesh on their last few records mixes a dual rec with engl's. (just ones that come to my mind) immolation started using peavey triple XXXs in conjunction with the dual rectifiers to get a slightly tighter sound too.

But yea jeff loomis knew how to use a recto right for sure.

I really love the orange channel in vintage mode on the new rectos, particularly boosted with a TS. It could never emulate the absurd thump of a 6505, but alas, I needed a (good) clean channel.

@Ghast Try the USA Clean (Mk IV). It's pretty magical now. You can also simulate class A, which I don't think is really class A in the actual amp but it sounded cool 20+ years go, by cranking the bias and also triode mode with the 300B power tubes. Add in a little input dynamics like .5, output compression like 1db and extra sag too.
Oooh, cool! I'll try this when I get home tonight. Thanks man!

Attached my MK4 preset with dirt and clean, bias maxed in clean for "class A" which others may prefer around .5 for "simulclass".

p.s. forgot to mention created with Suhr strat with Devin Townsend fluence. Clean was done in the tele mode so it's a little dirty with humbuckers.

Attachments

• MK4_Cyg.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 24
I dunno, Petrucci used Rectos (yes, AND marks) on Awake and it sounded pretty massive to me.
Dream theater is kinda it's own thing, john doesn't play a lot of trem picking palm muting or stuff like that, so imo he gets away with much beefier sounds than typically used in a metal context.

I dunno, Petrucci used Rectos (yes, AND marks) on Awake and it sounded pretty massive to me.

Awake is the entire reason I fell in love with the Mesa sound originally. I was playing Awake for my uncle and asked him which amp he thought it might be, “Oh, that’s a Mesa! You can pick those out a mile away!”. Especially back in the 90’s before everyone and their mother had a high gain amp offering.

“Lie” and “The Mirror”....man, just brutal tones. My favorite JP rhythm tones, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom