Cygnus Dirty Shirley - Dark?

So the first amp I loaded with Cygnus was the Dirty Shirley. Is it normally this dark? I'll admit I didn't mess with it much under previous firmware. Is it just one of those amps where you just can't be afraid of the treble knob? I got to the point I was running bass and mids totally off, and it still had quite a bit of thickness and bottom.

Having stated that, holy crap is it a versatile amp model. It may be my new go-to for classic rock stuff. Changed the stock drive to a Timmy, set the gain on the pedal fairly low, and added a little more delay and verb. So good.

Yeah, don’t be afraid to bump up the presence and treble. I’m not sure why the default value for presence is so low on an already dark amp. I have the real amp, I generally keep the bass at 9 o’clock, mids at 2 o’clock and treble and presence at noon or 1 o’clock. It is really versatile and takes pedals well.

I have a Shirley preset 4 scenes low breakup to balls out. The treble and mids are both almost all the way up on the higher gain scene. Bass all the way down. And still a little dark. I don’t use the bright switch usually because I don’t like that hi mid snarling tone. But I turned it on for the max gain channel and still a bit dark. Had to boost the highs a bit with the output eq. It got darker with the Cygnus.

What cab are you using with it? I didn't find the DS dark at all, I am however using the York Audio Friedman 4 x 12 IR with it and sounds fantastic as does all the Friedman amps with it. Smallbox is a treasury also.

What cab are you using with it? I didn't find the DS dark at all, I am however using the York Audio Friedman 4 x 12 IR with it and sounds fantastic as does all the Friedman amps with it. Smallbox is a treasury also.
I'm using these same ones with it and I'm loving it, too!

Just a mix of stock cabs. The same I was using pre Cygnus. I still love the amp but no denying it’s a dark amp. I was just commenting, no complaining. Love the Smallbox too. Cheers!

Steve

I spent 4 hours playing two amps, and never got off of the default cabs. Low cut and tone controls got me 95% of where I wanted to go.

Back
Top Bottom