Cygnus Beta - first impressions

Does an FM3 patch sound exactly the same on an FX3? Or are the algorithms a little scaled down to conserve resources? I would like to do a comparison of Cygnus and ARES and would want to make sure it's a fair fight if I put for example Cygnus on the FX3 and leave ARES on the FM3 or vice versa

Does an FM3 patch sound exactly the same on an FX3? Or are the algorithms a little scaled down to conserve resources? I would like to do a comparison of Cygnus and ARES and would want to make sure it's a fair fight if I put for example Cygnus on the FX3 and leave ARES on the FM3 or vice versa
The amps are the same. A few blocks are different because of resources.

It's a fair fight.

I basically have to rely on people with more experience, better ears, and better musicianship, to tell me what they think of the firmwares. I rarely hear whatever the hype is. As it has always been for me - the shortcomings in my own playing, and not anything about Fractal's realism, is what usually trips me up.

Admittedly not all firmwares will be greatly noticeable. Hence the comparison clips sometimes help me to understand better what is different and how and what needs to change to make the sound better

If Mr. FractalAudio says he changed the transformer match and higher values result in a stiffer feel and sound, I might play it and not know what I'm looking for. But if I play back comparison clips I can easily understand better what he means and I know how to dial in the sound I want

It's not that I think the current firmware sounds better or worse than the previous version, it's about understanding what changed and how it impacts the sound. I don't have to guess what I think improved - I have a reference to base my understanding on

Has anyone else broken their F5 button yet? I have been loading the forum a dozen or more times a day waiting for the public beta to drop. It's like watch a pot of water boil. I just need sit back, relax and trust in FAS....

Note that Axe-Edit is not updated yet and the 5E3 model is now "jumped" by default so it has both Normal and Bright drives. The Normal defaults to 5.0 so in the video the model is actually in jumped mode with the Normal drive at noon. That's why there's still plenty of gain with the drive at 9 o'clock.

You can get all sorts of different distortion textures by playing with the two drives in conjunction with the tone control. As with the real amp everything now interacts.

One of the beta testers was remarking that his 5E3 clone sounded more "choked" in comparison to the model. I said "I bet your clone has the wrong type of tube in V1. It's supposed to be a 12AY7 but many clones have a 12AX7A in V1." He checked and, sure enough, 12AX7A in V1.

Back
Top Bottom