Cygnus 50W Plexi VS Real 50W Plexi

Which clip is the real amp?

• 1st

Votes: 78 56.9%
  • 2nd

Votes: 59 43.1%

• Total voters
I picked the first one. Regardless, both sound great and it wouldn't take much to get one to sound identical to the other

I reuploaded a new version now where I've lowered the dB of the first clip by 0.8. Should sound closer now. It's tough to volume match in this particular case, as each section has its own thing going on volume wise, and without any compressor, it's tough to keep these spikes in check.
first clip still louder.

first clip still louder.
Really? I'm getting the impression that the first clip is even quieter now than the second. I'm listening to it on my Sennheiser HD600 headphones, so you might have a better loudness perception with a monitor setup. It's an easy edit, could someone who's more knowledgable about audio recording post a clip where both clips have equal loudness, as I obviously can't get it quite right?

I checked my preset again just to make sure that everything was cranked. Turns out I lowered the bass knob and increased the input trim a bit. I have left everything else cranked and I haven't touched any advanced settings. The matching EQ did the rest.

I know it's not a 100% apples to apples comparison as not even two plexis from the same year will sound identically, but it's all I had at my disposal as a hobby musician.

Just for clarification: I used a Suhr reactive load with the real amp, so the comparison is even closer. The Two Notes stuff has that bathtub thing going on which doesn't let the true nature of the amp shine through.

The fundamental distortion is identical, one clip is crispier and the other has more low mids, but essentially the same tone.

Now no-one of the clips is much louder anymore the difference is very subtle – in a real world mix you would not notice any difference.

Interesting that even with EQ matching (to my ears) the first sounds more rounded and the second crispier. Must be different transients? The first sounds a relatively compressed in the lower mids.

I don't know which is which but prefer the crispiness of 2 which feels a bit more open and detailed.

That's funny. I also sometimes play a little lick (around a D chord) Seymour Duncan uses to illustrate differences between pickups. (Rock: Bridge Crunch.)

Last edited:
Interesting that even with EQ matching (to my ears) the first sounds more rounded and the second crispier. Must be different transients? The first sounds a relatively compressed in the lower mids.

I don't know which is which but prefer the crispiness of 2 which feels a bit more open and detailed.
The EQ comparison that Nicolas posted above shows just how close you can get by employing a little bit of EQ matching.

I agree that there's more to the plexi tone than mere EQ. There are other qualities, though subtle, that are still a bit different on the real thing, but at this point in time it's indeed very close across the board.

trying to decide which is the real amp isn't really the observation here. It's more like if you listened to the sample like i did more than once that should confirm just how accurate the fractal products are.

Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom