Cycling channels/ footswitch color

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I would like to use a onboard footswitch to cycle between channels A-B-C-D .
I currently have Midi baby midi controller doing this action and each channel has a dedicated color so its easy for me to know where im at.

Can i do this color thing with internal footswitch?
I believe it only has one color when cycling channels.

The reason i dont want to use the midi controller is because it doesnt sync if i change a scene or preset.

For any specific layout, any specific footswitch always has the same colour, though you can customise which one you want it to be (including turned off entirely). The colour can be bright or dimmed, where bright would sometimes mean the preset/scene/effect is on, and sometimes it would mean that one specific channel of your choice is active. So you can not do, what you are asking for - though I see it could be helpful in some set-ups.

You can, with some restrictions which I wouldn't expect to apply to your scenario, program the mini displays to show the current channel. This way, you will have a letter indication instead of a colour. You have to set the mini display for the footswitch to 'Short Name +Channel' or 'Long Name +Channel'. You will then get a short or a long version of the block name before the channel letter. I guess it could be a personal thing, wether a letter or a colour will be the fastest/easiest to get an overview with.

I would like to use a onboard footswitch to cycle between channels A-B-C-D .
I currently have Midi baby midi controller doing this action and each channel has a dedicated color so its easy for me to know where im at.

Can i do this color thing with internal footswitch?
I believe it only has one color when cycling channels.

The reason i dont want to use the midi controller is because it doesnt sync if i change a scene or preset.
If I'm reading this correctly, you're asking if you can use 1 footswitch to cycle through channels A-B-C-D. IIRC correctly, it is possible for do a Increase/decrease cycle count for presets or scenes, but not channels.

I'd need to take a look at this in greater perspective. There is a way to select your inc/dec so your toggles would increase accordingly, but you'd need a separate footswitch to decrease your toggle, much like you might use a BANK +1 / BANK -1 to cycle through a series of 3 or more presets.

Check the FM9 user manual first regards inc/dec counts...I'll see if I can direct you to the correct page in a minute...perhaps Section 10, pg 74?

Unfortunately, we don't yet have an FM9-Edit Manual to guide us. That would help us immensely.

Last edited:
You can do Inc/Dec for banks, presets, scenes and channels.
Ah, excellent. If that's the case, all @pauliusmm would need to do is set up a footswitch with an inc/dec toggle that would cycle through his channels. Problem might be setting the range for the channels as 4. IIRC, he'd need to do some front panel range selections within the FM9.

Ah, excellent. If that's the case, all @pauliusmm would need to do is set up a footswitch with an inc/dec toggle that would cycle through his channels. Problem might be setting the range for the channels as 4. IIRC, he'd need to do some front panel range selections within the FM9.
He is asking to change the Footswitch LED ring color depending on channel... Not possible.

Yeah, i can see there is an option to cycle channels and wrap , so it. goes A B C D A B C D etc.
So the only problem is the led colors.
Text doesnt work for me. Theres no time to read labels when playing- color is much faster and more intuitive.

Yeah, i can see there is an option to cycle channels and wrap , so it. goes A B C D A B C D etc.
So the only problem is the led colors.
Text doesnt work for me. Theres no time to read labels when playing- color is much faster and more intuitive.
Just spitballing here...

Could you set up your scribble scripts so that each of channels A thru D might have recognizable characters for each script? Can't think offhand what might be a good example of this, but what about $$$$$$ or ******* or ++++++ or ====== or /////// ? Each might be visibly recognizable if you can remember what character represents what channel...

Or you simply do AAAAA or BBBBB, or CCCCC, or DDDDD; whatever works for you...

Just spitballing here...

Could you set up your scribble scripts so that each of channels A thru D might have recognizable characters for each script? Can't think offhand what might be a good example of this, but what about $$$$$$ or ******* or ++++++ or ====== or /////// ? Each might be visibly recognizable if you can remember what character represents what channel...

Or you simply do AAAAA or BBBBB, or CCCCC, or DDDDD; whatever works for you...
No. Custom text is fixed and does not change with whatever selections you make with the foots witch.

No. Custom text is fixed and does not change with whatever selections you make with the foots witch.
Not true. Custom text changes with scenes and presets, why not channel toggles A thru D?

Have you tried using custom names yet, because I have and custom names will change when you toggle a footswitch, if programmed correctly. Can't say they will for inc/dec toggles because I've not tried these, but basic scenes, layouts, and presets, custom names change just like you change your clothes every day.

The only reasonable conclusion that supports your assertion would be that neither preset nor scene would change, which would be the reason why the custom name would not change.

I think the confusion exists when we describe what is changing. If it's solely the channel, does the scene change as well? If yes, then the custom name will also change. If no, then the custom name will remain the same.

It's like giving yourself a different screen user name for several websites. Are the custom names the same for each website, or when you switch between websites, are not your screen names displayed for each website? You're essentially changing channels and scenes, and the screen names are displayed for each scene.

This could be one area where the FM3 outshines the 9?
Because FM3 has 4 views for any given layout, you can program a FS to change to the next amp channel AND the next view, with the help of layout links. Each view can have a different color for that FS.

Maybe layout links can do the trick on FM9, but using 2 layouts - since there are only 2 views per layout?

Answer to bleujazz3:

I am talking about the 'Mini-Display Label' -> Custom -> Custom Label

I think you are talking about normal preset names and channel names being changed with 'Short Name', 'Long Name' and 'Name'. Channels don't have names - only numbers.

If you know a way to get the Mini Display to change custom text with channel changes, I'd love to hear how you'r doing it.

Last edited:
Have you tried using custom names yet, because I have and custom names will change when you toggle a footswitch, if programmed correctly. Can't say they will for inc/dec toggles because I've not tried these, but basic scenes, layouts, and presets, custom names change just like you change your clothes every day.
I use channels and increment and toggle them, and the mini-displays do NOT allow custom displays for each channel, or for any other setting. Once set custom labels stay the same.

Channels don't have names - only numbers.
Channels have letters, “A”, “B”, “C” or “D”, not numbers.

If you know a way to get the Mini Display to change custom text with channel changes, I'd love to hear how you'r doing it.
You can’t.

Last edited:
The only way to change the colour of the switches is to also change the layout when switching the channel.
For this, 4 layouts are needed.
Layout 1 = Channel A - LED red (when changing the channel, it should also automatically change to a different layout)
Layout 2 = Channel B - LED green etc.

I have explained this off the top of my head, as I only have the FM3 and the FM9 is still to come. Therefore, I am not sure whether it can be solved with views in the FM9.

This "little" trick could help you solve the problem.

Answer to bleujazz3:

I am talking about the 'Mini-Display Label' -> Custom -> Custom Label

I think you are talking about normal preset names and channel names being changed with 'Short Name', 'Long Name' and 'Name'. Channels don't have names - only numbers.

Yessir. Understood. That was what I was saying as well. What I said was I'd not tried writing custom labels for channels, only presets, layouts and scenes. The latter 3 will change with each footswitch toggle. Custom label channel changes will be something we can ask for in the next iteration of OS upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom