Cutting the head off - sort of a violin thing

Wildwind

Experienced
Now one thing I have learned as a newbie from this Forum is that the Axe-Fx II can do absolutely anything. And do it better than anything ever invented. And I believe that.

This is what I want it to do - and I can't find it via search or the manual. I want a way to "cut the head off" a note - get rid of the attack. Just like what you'd do with a volume pedal or volume knob, but automatically and regardless of the timing of the notes.

Can this be done? An effect like the old Boss Slow Gear (which I have never owned or used) might be sufficient.

Thanks - Greg

Hi Greg,

you'd want a volume block controlled by either the envelope controller or one of the ADSR controllers. Which one depends on how you play.
I have a patch for slow volume swells (chord work) and the envelope controller works nicely for automatically opening the "vol. pedal" (i.e. the vol block).

Hi Greg,

you'd want a volume block controlled by either the envelope controller or one of the ADSR controllers. Which one depends on how you play.
I have a patch for slow volume swells (chord work) and the envelope controller works nicely for automatically opening the "vol. pedal" (i.e. the vol block).

yep.
Slow Gear

Wildwind -

The other folks seem to have a technically superior solution, but don't forget about your compressor - at high ratios (>5) you can really smooth things out and fatten them up.

Pete

Oh - and set your threshold low enough so that the compressor kicks in at lower volumes as well.

Wildwind -

The other folks seem to have a technically superior solution, but don't forget about your compressor - at high ratios (>5) you can really smooth things out and fatten them up.

Pete

True, good advice! If you don't want that kind of fade in or violin-like attack but just suppressing the initial 'click' attack when plucking the string, the compressor works well. It can also do the opposite, i.e. accentuating the plucking attack - all these yield interesting guitar sounds.

I get the bowing effect using a noise gate block

two of my presets

from the start and again at 1:11
this one has a longer attack time so it's good for atmospheric pad tones

from about 4:00
this one has a shorter attack time so it's good for synth-like lead tones

Thanks everyone! Much to explore. As usual, this is the best forum on the planet. And probably the other planets too.

Greg

Clarky - really loving that second one! Not really the sound I'm after, but I love what you're doing. I need to work up some stuff like that one of these days - always been an ensemble player, would like to work up some solo stuff like yours.

Greg

Okay, more newbie PITA bewilderment -

I went to the WIKI site and to those three patches named. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how they get those sounds. AE is only showing a very basic chain - comp, amp, cab, delay/verb, etc. Flangetastic, for example, sounds flanged, but there is no flanger. Similar things occur with the other two.

WIKI says copy the envelope, etc. - can't find one to copy. Maybe it's old advice and 6.02 doesn't apply?

I thought I understood signal flow, but have no idea how something not on the grid is affecting these sounds. Can anyone point me to a source of wisdom on this?

Thanks again - Greg

I actually messed around with a compressor to get like that Baroque part in the second one, cos someone told me a while back you could do such a thing with a compressor, but I had no luck. I'll have to try the NG block, cos that's very close to what I'm after!

Clarky, do you remember the settings, or can you post the patch?

I use a noise gate.. place it before the amp...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/50243-axe2-preset-building-19.html
post 367 for the preset
the top row has a vol and gate, the gate has some strong settings
when the vol and gate fire up [via XS2], the vol reduces the level going into the gate, the gate bows the attack of the note

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/50243-axe2-preset-building-18.html
post 348 gives a detailed description of how it works from a performance point of view

@Clarky

I like the lead sound in the second example around 3:20. Cutting - roaring - great.

AAEN

Just nitpicking, but it's not just a noise gate, but a regular gate/expander for all-purpose use :)
'Noise gate' usually refers to the inbuilt gate tied to the input (under 'layout').

actually I mean this in the most generic sense...
cos I use a noise gate to create this bowing effect in the VG-99 and in the 2120 too

you can make the gate in the input of the grid do it..
maybe not such a wise choice cos you have no control over it.. but it'll do it if it's set up right..
or as in my case you can use a gate bock

thing is... I achieve this bowing effect by hard gating with a slow attack..
or by regular gating and massively reducing the input level [turn the guitar volume down until it's almost off]

I use a noise gate.. place it before the amp...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/50243-axe2-preset-building-19.html
post 367 for the preset
the top row has a vol and gate, the gate has some strong settings
when the vol and gate fire up [via XS2], the vol reduces the level going into the gate, the gate bows the attack of the note

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/50243-axe2-preset-building-18.html
post 348 gives a detailed description of how it works from a performance point of view

Awesome, thanks man.

I tried those patches out. No doubt some technique complements the use, but I don't know as it's what I'm looking for - which essentially is something more like a synth tracking/envelope thing....which may not work with gain. I hadn't really tried it with a clean patch, though....

Back
Top Bottom