Cut and Fat amp block controls

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
Is it possible to assign switches to the Cut and Fat controls in the amp block?

Those would be nice to control on the fly at times.

Thanks.

Nope.

But what you can do is set up X/Y on your Amp block with different states for Cut and Fat. Do that with two Amp blocks, and you have every possible combination.

It's pretty quick. You might not want to have a note ringing out while you flip X and Y, but it'll be ready for your next note.

You need a RAC12. Im definately having one when there back from holls in September.

A 12 rotary midi controller for your rack - each knob has a push push function as well, and it has several "pages" available. Pretty much any function on the AFX can be assigned. Sol you can have the BMT and gain have Cut, fat, bright and boost as the push options.

fxunits.com - RAC12

You need a RAC12. Im definately having one when there back from holls in September.

A 12 rotary midi controller for your rack - each knob has a push push function as well, and it has several "pages" available. Pretty much any function on the AFX can be assigned. Sol you can have the BMT and gain have Cut, fat, bright and boost as the push options.

fxunits.com - RAC12

Can these actually assign to buttons parameters and such that can't natively be assigned to MFC switches or whatever?

Yes. I asked the same Q to the makers. There are a few that cant be for some reason, but not many.

If you scroll down on that page link, you can download the edit software and play. You can see what you can and cant do with the unit.

Each knob has the rotory control - plus a single press function, a double press function and a press and hold function.

I havent decided how Im going to run mine, exactly yet - but I have an idea. Double press of the first knob will always make that first knob the page selector - and Level will always be on the same knob (as any changes may need a level adjustment). The store is always a long press of that level control so on the fly changes can be stored instantly. The rest are, in my mind at (rotary control followed by single press function):

Page 1:

Gain(boost) - Bass (Cut) - Middle (FAT) - Treble (Bright Switch) - Prescence, Depth, MV, Level. Top row, Input Trim - Overdrive (for those amps that have it). Bottom Row, Sag - Bright value

Page 2:

Crunch - Tube Type - Character Freq - Character Amt - Dynamic Pres - Dynamic Depth - Dynamics - Level. Top Row, Low Cut Freq - High Cut Freq. Bottom Row, Sat Type - Sat Drive

Page 3:

First 8 knobs, the 8 Amp Block EQ sliders.

Thats as far as Ive got - and all are possible to assign as I plan from the RAC12.

From that - page 1 will give me most of my tone shaping parameters, with page 2 giving me the rest (the ones I use the least) - with page 3 giving me the EQ page. I may add some others to page 3, ones I very rarely touch such as Power Tube Bias, or the Variac (AC Voltage), just because they are available. I may well user other pages for FX specific stuff, like levels for delay, reverb, phaser etc for on the fly adjustments - but having the main amp stuff there without any presses - and in depth stuff there with a double button press and a rotary twist (to select page) just makes live adjustments so much easier IMO.

Last edited:
Couldn't you just use a PEQ or similar for the "cut"? Unless it is doing a bunch of different things - I thought it was mostly low end cut?

I would love to see the FAT switch use a modifier - that would be cool.

We already have the Bright switch and Boost switch (like a lot of real amps). Having the Cut and Fat would be icing on the cake.

Having that flexibility along with using X/Y for a different amp and then switching EQ and drive blocks on and off, would be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom