Custom wiring concept

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone ever consider wiring each pickup in an HH config guitar directly to the axefx? For example use a custom trs cable from the guitar that then splits into two inputs into the axefx. Then the neck and bridge signals could be processed or combined, morphed between, combined out of phase, etc, etc all in the box. Any reason this wouldn’t work?

The bald dude from Neurosis does that, pickups hardwired to two separate outputs on the guitar, pickups go straight out to the amp switcher. That would be pretty cool, not many guitars do pickup mixing, only time I've heard of it done is Darron M from SOAD in one of his iceman's on toxicity, a neck/bridge blend pot.

Next stop, a tone pot EQ type in the EQ block...select the pot value, linear/audio, cap value, bright cap value...

I have a BLEND on all my strats- I'd just wire a blend before separate outs- it could work, but I don't see it as practical as you think

HH would blend in whatever is NOT on

so you could get some great combinations

PROS:
It would have an advantage in being able to set up ideal tones for each pickup. And as you've noted, morphing effects.

CON:
When pickups are combined in the guitar, it affects the resonant frequency. Pickups are usually combined in parallel and in phase which raises the resonant frequency, giving you that typical brighter "twangy" tone. This effect is caused by the lower inductance of pickups in parallel. You could EQ this to some extent in your Axe-FX, but it would be tricky, because you also need to cancel the existing (lower) resonance of the single pickups.

Back
Top Bottom