Custom Strat Neck Advice Needed

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I put together a Strat from parts a while ago. The body came from MJT and is 1-piece alder, tobacco burst with light wear. I got the neck from Musikraft. It's quite narrow at 1-5/8" and is thin C. It's a sweet neck but too small for me.

I want to build this into a superstrat, maybe HSS, but with a somewhat vintage look (necessitated by sweet tobacco burst body). I'd prefer an Ibanez-style headstock but I also want a maple neck and that combo seems tougher to find, especially without a funky inlay.

I'm considering a tilt-back (for extra sustain), roasted (?) maple, Strat style neck from Warmoth. 22 stainless frets (24?), graphtec nut, Wolfgang profile.

Any thoughts on this plan?

The number of frets will be determined by the body. It's designed for so many frets at such-and-such scale.

Yeah - and you can get both 21 and 22 frets necks (and 24 but that calls for a neck pickup reposition).

I say go for it. I have 10 necks from Warmoth and they are superb quality.

I'd forgotten how it was originally routed so I dug up the pictures. Here's one of the body pics. I will have to have it rerouted for the bridge humbucker anyway so I may have it rerouted for a neck humbucker as well. Another possibility would be to use a humbucker in single coil shape like a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 or a Satch Track.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
If so, then how you'll explain the fact that Warmoth offers necks for stratocasters with Gibson scale (24.75")? ;)
We're both right. Guitar bodies are designed for a specific scale, but it's possible to buy a neck that converts a guitar to a different scale. If you use a conversion neck, you must accept small compromises in pickup placement, because the pickups will no longer be placed relative to the strings the way they were intended by the designer of the body.

Last edited:
Yeah - and you can get both 21 and 22 frets necks (and 24 but that calls for a neck pickup reposition).
True, you can usually fudge one more fret on a Strat by using a neck with an overhang, which lets you have one more fret than the body was designed for. But that assumes that the pickguard won't get in the way. If it does, Warmoth will void the warranty on the neck.

But the OP was debating 22 vs. 24 frets. That would require surgery on the body, because it's a significant departure from the number of frets the body was designed for.

Only thing I would complain about are the fret ends - they need to be rounded a little better with a fret end file.

@NeoSound Thanks. Those look pretty nice. I am thinking about a tilted headstock though. And probably maple. Pao Ferro is nice. I think that's what was on the SRV Strat? Maybe just the fretboard?

Back
Top Bottom