Custom rack panel

MetalSlab

Inspired
Here is my rack setup to give ideas for those wanting a quick setup and reasonably portable rig with the versatility to be able to deal with different situations:

The Axe is in a SKB 2RU unit which also houses a shielded rear cavity containing a heavy-duty power distribution unit with surge protection, the MFC-101 power supply, the power supply for my vocal pedal and all the internal patch cabling going through to the custom rear panels.

The challenge I set for myself was to have a basic guitar rig, which could also be used as a mains PA system for live band use - without the need for standalone mixers and superflous external equipment. I wanted to be able to run everything through the Axe and use the QSC's as a standalone PA for small venues, rehearsals, etc. I also wanted to be able to setup quickly with minimal cabling.

The rear panel is designed to utilise input 2 on the Axe as the stereo-through for vocals. Input 1 R can also be used for mono-in (for bass or keys if required). It also incorporates midi in/out, SPDIF (using true 75 ohm connections and patch cabling), output 2 through a DI for FOH and all of the other standard Axefx rear panel features but uses Neutrik combination jacks so either XLR or TRS cables can be used in any case. This also protects the Axefx rear panel from being hammered by frequent re-routing and plugging in and out all the time.

I use the QSC's as monitors generally, but can also use them as a PA and run my vocals and whatever else through the Axe as well, using it as a dual guitar/vocals mixer and effects unit (It does take some clever patchwork. I have obviously allowed for this in all my live patches - using FX block as a passthrough and anything else in-line which I want controlled by the MFC).

The other idea here is that everything runs off a single heavy-duty shielded mains power cable, and everything from the pedalboard (including vocals) runs through a single snake cable. Setting up is as simple as connecting the snake to the rack's rear panel and then connecting the mains power. Even the QSC's are powered through the rear panel. Everything uses Neutrik powercon locking connectors.

B1800x633.jpg

A1800x445.jpg

Rear panel from L to R (top row): MIDI out, SPDIF out, 7-pin MIDI in (powered for MFC), 9V power for vocal pedal, 2 x power out for QSC powered speakers (white powercon), mains power in (blue powercon).

Bottom row combo jacks (not labelled yet): Input 1 R, Input 2 L & R, unbal Out 1 L & R, bal Out 1 L & R, bal Out 2 L & R

A4800x574.jpg

Pedalboard with snake:

B2600x800.jpg

Ready to hit the road:

C800x772.jpg

Cool! I'd love to see/learn more about your portable surge protection and power system in the rear of the rack. Can you describe that in more detail and include a pic? It annoys me how heavy my Furman PL-8 Series II is! Love to find a simpler solution.

Thanks!

This is what the upper panel looks like on the inside:

photo32640x406.jpg

Sorry, I didn't get any shots of the inside of the case. Next time I open it up I'll get some. I got most of the parts from Redco Audio.

I didn't go into much detail on the power distribution as I built it myself and this is something which is definitely NOT recommended unless you know what you are doing. It's basically just a power distro unit with inbuilt surge protection which I chopped up to fit inside the rack, shielded and coverted the plugs to Powercon. There is nothing in the way of power filtering as I don't believe that this is required for either the Axefx or the QSC's.

The great thing about this setup is when at home, I can switch everything on or off, including the speakers with one switch. I should also mention that the QSC's have a very good rear panel with multiple lines and their own onboard mixers which makes it even more versatile.

Nice. FYI U could use a 7 pin midi cable to carry power to the MFC, and eliminate having to run the 9v power cable. 1 less cable and u can get the 7 pin as long as u needed.

Very sano... I think this is the best I have seen yet. For the TC I'm guessing you have a loop through for the vocal on the back panel as well? Also I'm guessing you built a Y to power the white twist loc's from the Blue to power the Qsc's? Who did you go through to get the parts?

Last edited:
Nice. FYI U could use a 7 pin midi cable to carry power to the MFC, and eliminate having to run the 9v power cable. 1 less cable and u can get the 7 pin as long as u needed.

Thanks. The Mfc is already powered via 7-pin MIDI cable. The 9V line is actually for the vocal pedal on the pedalboard. Those two cables together with the stereo XLR to TRS cable for vox run through the big snake cable attached to the pedalboard.

Very sano... I think this is the best I have seen yet. For the TC I'm guessing you have a loop through for the vocal on the back panel as well? Also I'm guessing you built a Y to power the white twist loc's from the Blue to power the Qsc's? Who did you go through to get the parts?

Thanks mate. The vocals run into the Axe Input 2 via the combo jacks on the rear panel and are actually incorporated into my live patches using the FX block (and under control of the Mfc). Hence no need for a standalone mixer if I am running vox through the QSC.

If I am using a FOH, I can also just run the vox line straight out of the TC or patched straight through the rear panel combos.

The internal power routing is through a power distro and surge protector unit which I modded to fit inside and also use the Powecon connections. I also made the mains cable and power lines for the QSC. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone not qualified to do so though.

Most of the specialty parts such as the D-series panel connections are from Redco Audio. Things like the 75ohm SPIDF and 7-pin MIDI feedthroughs I had to make myself though.

Last edited:
Hey MetalSlab, looks really cool.

One question: it appears you made your own "snake", given that it's highly custom. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like regular cables of various types, cut to the exact proper length, and then some sort of a snake "sleeve" on top? Care to share more about that? My "snake" consists of a bunch of cables just tied together with twist-ties at a 2-3ft interval (not very user-friendly). Can a "snake skin" actually be purchased, and if so, where, and how to you fish the cables into it for a nice tight fit?

Hey MetalSlab, looks really cool.

One question: it appears you made your own "snake", given that it's highly custom. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like regular cables of various types, cut to the exact proper length, and then some sort of a snake "sleeve" on top? Care to share more about that? My "snake" consists of a bunch of cables just tied together with twist-ties at a 2-3ft interval (not very user-friendly). Can a "snake skin" actually be purchased, and if so, where, and how to you fish the cables into it for a nice tight fit?

Hey mate. You are spot on there. That is exactly what I did.

Check out techflex cable sleeving here: Redco Audio - Custom Audio Cables - Recording Studio Supplies - Custom A/V Panels - Techflex Sleeving Cable Organizer

This is the best stuff to use as it's light and flexible. It also expands so that you can feed
your cables through. There are various widths so make sure you get the right size.

My advice is to feed the cables through together before soldering on the connectors as it can be difficult to jam large plugs through as they get caught on the mesh.

Its easy enough to do yourself but either Redco or Best-tronics can make custom snakes for you if you are prepared to pay accordingly.

photo32640x406.jpg

Can you give me a part number for the housing you used on your home made 7-pin midi through? I need to make one of these as well.

Very well thought out and implemented; I appreciate the professional quality execution.

That is some impressive looking design and construction, but don't you have cooling problems--the rack case looks practically sealed. Have you cut cooling holes or done anything to help cooling?

Darryl

I ordered a rack panel and a bunch of D series connecters (not passthrough) a while ago, but still have to put it all together... I'm going to burn my thumb soo many times :p

Back
Top Bottom