Custom Patch Panels

JHMorris

Good Morning, I bought a used patch panel off of TGP and modified it for my 4RU axe fx rig, and enjoyed that so much, I started building my own patch panel for another 8RU x 14U rack setup that includes my guitar wireless, axe fx, interface for my computer and in ear transmitter. I really enjoy working with the connectors and customization. Got me to thinking, I wonder if there are very many people out there that are looking for custom panel setups, that I could build for. Let me know if there is any interest :) or maybe I am just wishful thinking haha.

Justin

I have one from VAFAM Sound, which has been a great addition to my rack. There are quite a few folks here using them, so there's a market out there. Check out the VAFAM site and see what the competition is doing... maybe you can build a better mousetrap.
http://www.vafamsound.com/axe-fx/index.htm

I'm not sure if VAFAM is still in business after the unfortunate death of the owner, even though the web site is still up. I had heard his children were going to try and keep the business going but a few weeks ago I had sent in a request for a quote on a custom panel and never received a response. Maybe they are still in operation and it was just one of those things.

I'm not sure if VAFAM is still in business after the unfortunate death of the owner, even though the web site is still up. I had heard his children were going to try and keep the business going but a few weeks ago I had sent in a request for a quote on a custom panel and never received a response. Maybe they are still in operation and it was just one of those things.
I checked into their site and it appears they are still in business. I sent an email asking if they were still making panels this morning and got a reply that they still are a few minutes ago, so looks like everything's ok over there. The email also said they have an eBay store that do most of their business on.

I checked into their site and it appears they are still in business. I sent an email asking if they were still making panels this morning and got a reply that they still are a few minutes ago, so looks like everything's ok over there. The email also said they have an eBay store that do most of their business on.

Oh wow, that's good to hear. Not sure why I never got a response back from them then. As I said, it could have just been one of those things. I ended up going with a best-tronics but I tried to go VAFAM first. Thanks for the update.

Just as well. I cant see paying $400 for one of these. I think that price is ridiculous for what it is.

Well if you want, I can see what I could do for you, the one they have listed for 299 on eBay for the ax fx I am pretty sure I could do for quite a bit less. I haven't done a 12 yet, but I have worked on 2 8's. So if you would like to see what I can do, worst you can do is turn down whatever I come up with for a estimate for ya.

Mine was a lot cheaper, around $170 if I recall. Been a few years though, and still going strong. Makes connection so much easier each gig.

Hans was a class act. I did not know he passed, and I am very saddened to hear of this. I do remember their being some health problems with a family member a while back, but I didn't know it was him. Hans had a straight following and fan base around here, with many highly satisfied users.

VAFAM had some of the best customer service of anyone I have ever dealt with, and I'm posting that on the Fractal website, so what does that tell you. The guy was simply the best. He would email you a template, and you would custom design your own panel with jacks, wire length, connecter ends, color codes, labels, you name it and he would quote it back, complete with pictures of how your finished product would look after he built it.

He would THEN send you photos of the build process to double check it was to your liking.
Mine has 12 jacks, very customized for monitor feeds, USB, vocal mics in and processor outs, 2 PowerCon jacks, and all sorts of stuff. He also built me a custom snake to go between it and my board with 5 XLR,s 2x 1/4 audio's and a/c power. I just looked up my quote and my cost was $212 for both the panel and a powercon power cable to serve as power into my rack. I've been using it for 2 1/2 years and it's been flawless. He used tiny securement bolt-loops and zip ties to relieve pressure from the cables on back, and we would send you small gifts like notebooks or colored post its with your order. Then he would email a follow up to check on things.

I'd say he has big shoes to fill, but if VAFAM has changed significantly, then there would be room for someone to come in and take a run at it. There is another company making these too, and they also have great service. Best-Tronics Pro Audio. (btpa.com) They are also pretty popular here on the forum.

I just recieved my custom panel from best tronics. 12 connections per my specs and i couldnt be happier. Paid around 190 for everything i'll ever need and Brad was great to deal with. I emailed Varam first but they weren't as insightful as Best Tronics was with me.

Looks good!, But if I may make a suggestion. It would make the terminals safer from shorts from loose items getting in the rack if you put little short shrink tubing over the individual wires before soldiering and then cover as you have with the larger shrink tubing. just a suggestion.

If your willing to spend a few extra bucks per connector you can get "pass-thru" style that don't even require soldering. Just get a pre-punched panel that meets your spec and then its as simple as plugging stuff in

Back
Top Bottom