Custom Harmony Issues

I does work that way....

You just have to always program the 'Global Custom Scale' while temporarily transposing the scale to the key of 'A', And with the Pitch block temporarily set to the 'key' of 'A'. So that the note names will match whatever you are playing. Play an 'A', adjust the 'A'... Play a 'C', adjust the 'C'. etc....... All the while, adjusting the 'Shift Intervals' for each note while still temporarily playing the notes of scale in the 'key' of 'A'.

Once you have done this... That custom scale can be used in all keys simply by selecting that custom scale number and the 'key' in the 'Custom Shifter' type in the 'Pitch' block.

I does work that way....

You just have to always program the 'Global Custom Scale' while temporarily transposing the scale to the key of 'A', And with the Pitch block temporarily set to the 'key' of 'A'. So that the note names will match whatever you are playing. Play an 'A', adjust the 'A'... Play a 'C', adjust the 'C'. etc....... All the while, adjusting the 'Shift Intervals' for each note while still temporarily playing the notes of scale in the 'key' of 'A'.

Once you have done this... That custom scale can be used in all keys simply by selecting that custom scale number and the 'key' in the 'Custom Shifter' type in the 'Pitch' block.
I think he wants to program using the key of the song instead of transposing to A. I don't mind. It is a little extra work, but I don't have that many harmonies I do.

I does work that way....

I do understand. I did all of that and got the song perfect. Now if I want to change to the key of A. How do you do this. It is already in A.

I do understand. I did all of that and got the song perfect. Now if I want to change to the key of A. How do you do this. It is already in A.

I already answered this, but I don't think you're grasping the method Moke is describing.

If you set the key to A while setting up, temporarily play your part in A. Then change key to C if the part's in C.

To play it in A later, set key to A.

If you set it up to sound right playing in C while key was set to "A", you'd need to change key to F#.

Hopefully this illustrates how all 12 keys are available for any rotation of the same shift amounts.

I get that you have to change to A to do the 12 note program, But how do you actually change to the key of A if you are already there.

I already answered this, but I don't think you're grasping the method Moke is describing.

If you set the key to A while setting up, temporarily play your part in A. Then change key to C if the part's in C.

To play it in A later, set key to A.

If you set it up to sound right playing in C while key was set to "A", you'd need to change key to F#.

Hopefully this illustrates how all 12 keys are available for any rotation of the same shift amounts.

Maybe we are getting somewhere now. So program the song in A, change to C and it should be the same. Then when you change back to A it will actually be A instead of C?

The song is in C and the key is in A to make it work. How can I change to A if it is already there.
This is what I understood from Mokes description.
Set the KEY field in the user harmony page to A.
Program the harmony transposed to the key of A.
If the harmony is in the key of A then you are done. Save the preset as the KEY field is already set to A.

If you want to change the harmony to the key of C then all you do is change the KEY field on the user harmony page to C.

You don't really need to set key to A if you can think of the scale as notes 1-12, even though it says A-G# in the left column.

Set pitch block to actual key of part. Play that keynote and adjust the first custom shift amount. Even though the left column says "A" this will be adjusting whatever keynote you picked. Play 1/2 step higher and adjust next shift in list, etc.

This is easily the fastest way to work if you can grasp the idea of the list just being 1, b2, 2, b3, etc.

You don't really need to set key to A if you can think of the scale as notes 1-12, even though it says A-G# in the left column.

Set pitch block to actual key of part. Play that keynote and adjust the first custom shift amount. Even though the left column says "A" this will be adjusting whatever keynote you picked. Play 1/2 step higher and adjust next shift in list, etc.

This is easily the fastest way to work if you can grasp the idea of the list just being 1, b2, 2, b3, etc.
It is hard for me without a reference point seeing the notes. I will just set to A and program for now. I will play with changing the keys and see what actually happens when I change keys. I don't see how you can change to an A if you are already there. I will figure it out when I have a little more time. Easy for me is pick the note see the key and think 3rd, 4th, or 5th harmony. I do appreciate the help.

I used fixed and Intelligent harmony a lot in the AXE FX II. But haven't played much with it in the II with the exception of a couple tunes it is needed for. This is very helpful. Thanks to all.

It is hard for me without a reference point seeing the notes. I will just set to A and program for now. I will play with changing the keys and see what actually happens when I change keys. I don't see how you can change to an A if you are already there. I will figure it out when I have a little more time. Easy for me is pick the note see the key and think 3rd, 4th, or 5th harmony. I do appreciate the help.
Read post 21 a couple more times, and follow it carefully. If you want to use that scale (set of shift intervals) in the key of 'A'... set the pitch block to the key of 'A'. If you want to use that scale (exact set of shift intervals) in the key of 'C', set the pitch block to the key of 'C'

If there are differences in the actual shift intervals, when transposed to the same key of 'A' as a reference, then it will require two different scales. Maybe one of the stock scales will work for one on the parts?

Last edited:
The issue seems to be use of the word “key”. That is probably not the right word to use because if using a minor scale the “key” is the relative major, etc. That can make it confusing. Thinking of each pitch as a number 1-12 starting from A and using that to program the custom scale seems logical. Then your simply assigning a number for the interval that each harmony note must be from the note actually played. Then adjusting the “key” parameter just applies the interval numbering you assigned to a new key. Does that sound correct?

Key is a TRANSPOSE knob for the global scale in use. it's tonal offset, where A = 0, A#/Bb = 1, B = 2, etc.

Key is a TRANSPOSE knob for the global scale in use. it's tonal offset, where A = 0, A#/Bb = 1, B = 2, etc.
Sounds like you’re saying something similar but do you mean to say that you should never have to change the key parameter unless you want a different global scale?

you should never have to change the key parameter unless you want a different global scale?

The key parameter rotates shift values relative to the note list. (Don't confuse this with selecting another of the 32 global scales.) You seem to have the right idea in post #35. The "A" shift can apply to Bb instead, or B, C, etc.

Possible reasons to adjust "key" parameter include:

A. Playing song in a different key from originally planned

B. Harmony part appears transposed to more than one key throughout a song

C. Generic harmony schemes used in various keys in different songs

D. Point in harmony section requiring new shift values on notes used previously. Sometimes the notes you haven't defined a shift for (and possibly some already defined) will be spaced in a way to do what you need when transposed a certain amount via key parameter.

The key parameter rotates shift values relative to the note list. (Don't confuse this with selecting another of the 32 global scales.) You seem to have the right idea in post #35. The "A" shift can apply to Bb instead, or B, C, etc.

Possible reasons to adjust "key" parameter include:

A. Playing song in a different key from originally planned

B. Harmony part appears transposed to more than one key throughout a song

C. Generic harmony schemes used in various keys in different songs

D. Point in harmony section requiring new shift values on notes used previously. Sometimes the notes you haven't defined a shift for (and possibly some already defined) will be spaced in a way to do what you need when transposed a certain amount via key parameter.
Thanks @Bakerman
A. Makes sense. If I tune the guitar down 1/2 step normally but decide to tune back to E then this could be used to quickly make sure the harmonies sound right. Is this correct?
B. I’m working on Hotel California. In the verse harmonies the scale/key changes so I would have to adjust the key parameter, correct?

I've never had a key problem. My only issue is the limited number of global slots. 32 just isn't enough for me. The Ultra had the same number.

Back
Top Bottom