• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Current Trend of Commercial IRs: More Balanced and Polished

Mark Al

Inspired
I have been collecting and accumulating IRs for years, and I noticed at least from three major venders, e.g. OwnHammer, RedWirez and York Audio, that their IR approach have changed quite a bit, from OH's (r)Evolution Bundle, to RedWirez's BigBoxX remaster and the YA's newly released IRs.

I have tons of old OH IRs from years ago, IRs in the new Evolution pack sounds obviously more polished, more balanced, without either the typical OH excessive low mids, or the piecing highs in the old OH IRs. (though I can still immediately recognize certain OH sound signature in them.) OH put a lot of efforts on a large variety mic mixes, different bright/dark/tight/scooped flavor, which is quite nice!

By the way, York Audio IRs somehow have a similar sound and feel with the new OH IRs...

As for RedWirez, I have the original RedWirez big box, and I know my ways among that jungle fairly well, certain cabs sounds really good originally already and those remains largely unchanged in the remaster, however, many of the not-so-good sounds one are now wonderfully redone, I was in for such a surprise! And similar things happened here, these new IRs are more polished, balanced.

Axe III IRs still largely sound old school, meaning they often requires quite a bit of work to wrestle with when dialing the preset, I gave them up long ago but go back to audit them from time to time.

And the RedWirez mixIR3 makes selecting/auditing IRs from ten of thousands of them feel like a breeze, this is the interface NC Quad Cortex adopted, and I REALLY REALLY hope Axe III could support some interface like that working with one IR vender perhaps.... @FractalAudio :)

Anyway, the IRs are certainly evolving and the new crops from various venders are mostly largely improved when compared to the old generation.

Mark Al

Inspired
A deep collaboration with one vender makes sense, I think, compared to randomly auditing a bunch of IRs from many and fill in the factory cab slots....

Perhaps the result will finally be a consistent and yet user-friendly IR selection interface ;-)

unix-guy

Legend!
A deep collaboration with one vender makes sense, I think, compared to randomly auditing a bunch of IRs from many and fill in the factory cab slots....

Perhaps the result will finally be a consistent and yet user-friendly IR selection interface ;-)
I disagree... Limiting to a single vendor would be just that: limiting

I understand your desire, but I don't that approach makes sense. That's my opinion, of course ;)

Mark Al

Inspired
Perhaps, it's because I have tones of commercial IR collections, and I am not exactly excited about versatilities, and perhaps the versatility issues should best be addressed and left alone to commercial IRs which users try out themselves.

Having various (often drastically different) flavored IRs is on one hand confusing for users and on the hand wasteful for all the factory slots. And I'd love to be able to overwrite all the factory slots, if @FractalAudio one day allows me to do that, and I don't understand why we are not, such a waste of space, I could totally use/fill them up with my own IRs....

Mark Al

Inspired
Sure, keep the current factory IRs downloadable somewhere... and there are tons of commercial IRs widely available for folks to try different flavors, but I simply don't see the current Axe III factory IRs as an ideal user interface for IR selection by default, and I think Fractal could and should be able to do a lot better than that.

Valhallir

Power User
Vendor
Sure, keep the current factory IRs downloadable somewhere... and there are tons of commercial IRs widely available for folks to try different flavors, but I simply don't see the current Axe III factory IRs as an ideal user interface for IR selection by default, and I think Fractal could and should be able to do a lot better than that.
I think, there really is ENOUGH space on the Axefx III to still contain all the stock IRs and additional user IRs.
I know, I'm speaking against my own business, but many people use and like the stock cabs a lot. And If anyone wants to "dig deeper", it's already a good starting point to find "your" fave cab, imho.

yek

I'm quite certain that YA doesn't apply any post-processing to their captured IRs, no polishing.

Red Wirez remastered their old IRs, meaning that did not capture new IRs. But they applied low-cut and hi-cut, and more.

Valhallir

Power User
Vendor
I would not see ANY sense in post-processing IRs for a more "polished" sound. There is a difference between "balanced" and "polished".

York Audio

Power User
Vendor
I think the “polished” tone mainly comes from IR producers simply getting better at what they do. I’m sure some guys use high and low cuts to smooth out their captures, but I don’t think they’re necessary. There’s no substitute for a great mic placement.

I don’t listen to or compare my stuff to anyone else’s because I don’t want to be influenced by someone else’s work, so I couldn’t tell you what each IR maker does to achieve “their sound” or why some IR makers sound similar to others. We all have different gear and different methods. I just plug in a cab, and if it sounds good, I’ll throw some mics at it and see what sticks.

Valhallir

Power User
Vendor
I think the “polished” tone mainly comes from IR producers simply getting better at what they do. I’m sure some guys use high and low cuts to smooth out their captures, but I don’t think they’re necessary. There’s no substitute for a great mic placement.

I don’t listen to or compare my stuff to anyone else’s because I don’t want to be influenced by someone else’s work, so I couldn’t tell you what each IR maker does to achieve “their sound” or why some IR makers sound similar to others. We all have different gear and different methods. I just plug in a cab, and if it sounds good, I’ll throw some mics at it and see what sticks.
This is the way. ;-)

Top Bottom