Current state of modeling vs real amps

Trust me, I know, I used to be one of those guys. Full of the ideas of tradition, and well, tubz. But I got older and wiser, and so did my back.

Also, I actually hang out with a lot of younger artists, and while it's I do see a lot of guys with the old gear, unfortunately they are almost always the same guys that are doing it because it's "ironically" out of fashion, and like all fads, it will go away. The other issue with some of those guys is that if they are serious, and not just doing it for the fad, then they want NOS tubes, which ironically doesn't help the manufactures. buying NOS tubes from some guy who found them in his garage just doesn't support the cause. You gotta buy new, but there is some magic attributed to NOS tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time will tell, be we probably won't be around to see it.

There will always be tube amps. Just like there will always be cars that run on petroleum. The actual percentage and market share is what I expect to decline steadily. Before the Axe-Fx came along modelers were looked upon with derision. Now we have products from a variety of companies that sound good, are more portable and cost less than a fine tube amp. I like to think that, in the case of the Axe-Fx (and AX-8) with Quantum firmware, even sound better than most amps.

There will always be tube amps. Just like there will always be cars that run on petroleum. The actual percentage and market share is what I expect to decline steadily. Before the Axe-Fx came along modelers were looked upon with derision. Now we have products from a variety of companies that sound good, are more portable and cost less than a fine tube amp. I like to think that, in the case of the Axe-Fx (and AX-8) with Quantum firmware, even sound better than most amps.
I just went to a guitar store, saw a nice Orange TH100 with a 2x12 cab, I was so happy to plug it in and fire some tubes ( it's a long time since I've played tubes ) and I was so, so disapointed. it seriously sounded like shit.
hear screaching fizzy highs that wanted to rip my head off.
today I realized how much a love fractal.
and how much it sound good ( not the same ) it's not a tube amp and I like it this way.

I play in an 80's metal/classic rock cover band, doing Ozzy, Sabbath, Rush, Trower, Van Halen, Nugent, etc., and have played various tube amps - modded Marshalls, JVM-410H, and most recently, the EVH 5153 50-watt (my main gigging/practice amp), and the EVH 5153 100 Stealth. I use a POD HD500X with the 4-cable method for effects, and I've been happy enough with my tone and the flexibility the POD gives me for changing effects on the fly. However, I still found myself gassing for new amps, always looking at new pedals, pickups, etc. I wanted even more flexibility in managing patches, and more variety in my available tones, so I bought an Axe Fx II XL+ about three weeks ago to try it out. I run it into a clean power amp and then into a cab, and I was able to get great tones out of it in that configuration. I gigged it this past weekend, with most of my presets using the 5153 blue model (since that's what I'm so familiar with), and I thought the tone at the show was killer. If I were listening to the show, I wouldn't have know that it wasn't a tube amp, so the technology is more than good enough for my purposes. If I can ever make the leap to direct, it will be even more satisfying, and so much easier on my back. Thanks to Cliff and the FAS team for a great product, and for continuing to add value to it with firmware updates.

Back
Top Bottom