Curious to hear from the FAS virgins

Brand new here and ready to join Fractal nation:) Would appear that I'm coming up pretty soon on the invite list. Really excited to get my AX8!

I have had some effect devices. Not all was bad but I hope that I get satisfied my sound wishes now! I hope with this device there is a big chance! And then I have all in one in a flexible device. Will sell my carvin amp an by some active boxes and a small mixer.

I am on the wait list. Somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd of November. I have sold my 11R/FCB1010 rig on top of other guitars in preparation for the invite. At this point in my life I just play with headphones after the rest of the fam is out. By nature I play classic/prog rock style. Just blend my music library in with the guitar tone. So I am new to FAS and have been trolling here for a bit.

I'm about 95% sure I'll go with AX8 and 5% sure I'll go with another option(helix floor).

I'm certain helix will get there at some point but I feel the FAS tones are what I'm looking for....

... So heres my question. Coming from the 11R I was able to run 3 modulation fx at anytime I wanted thought the fs's as needed. Reading the mod block thread recently I'm still confused. Can I still run a similar 3 mod fx setup and add exp pedals to control mod speeds? I know could have posted on that thread but I wanted to post here as a new user.

Sorry for the long post and hope I explained it well.

Thanks,
Danny.

Thanks for the reply. I saw some examples in the Manuel with more than one mod effect but it was the editors signal chain. . But when I look at the images on the AX8 screen it shows one block so I was confused.

While I know I'm late to the party I am very excited to know the ax8 is still with in reach for me. Looking forward to seeing others demos/reviews. In the meantime I've been playing with the ezdrummer odd meter midi files and starting to put together some good ideas.

Thanks,

Danny.

i am new to fractal....had the helix and returned it..was not to happy about spending 1199.99 on it and never looked at FAS stuff because of pricepoint- untill now. I signed up 10/13-14 so i look forward to having the axefx2xl+ brain in a more affordable unit for my use.

Thanks for the reply. I saw some examples in the Manuel with more than one mod effect but it was the editors signal chain. . But when I look at the images on the AX8 screen it shows one block so I was confused.
The signal chain in the editor is identical to the signal chain in the AX8 itself (a 4x12 grid). I'm not sure what screen you were looking at that only showed one block.

The AX8's footswitches are freely assignable, per preset, to switch any effect in the preset.

Thanks bud. I'm certain I'm wrong on this but it shows like 8 blocks. It's only a few pages in the manual. But I understand that you're referring to the 4x12 signal chain grid. The page I'm referring to must just show footswitch assignment or something.

Thanks,

Danny.

The AX8's "home" page is the footswitch page, because that's what you want in front of you when you're playing live. The next page over is the full 4x12 grid.

The AX8's "home" page is the footswitch page, because that's what you want in front of you when you're playing live. The next page over is the full 4x12 grid.
Thanks axe master Rex. I can already see it in my office with 2-3 expression pedals off to the right.

Thanks,

Danny

My first Fractal product, AX8 arrived yesterday and I got to spend a couple of hours giving it a test drive last night. I hooked everything up to a mixer feeding two Yorkville NX55p powered PA speakers.

Up until now I have been a mostly clean guitar-cord-amp (Fender) kind of player. I found a bunch of very good presets to give variations on that side of my tone plus the addition of vibe, delay, and light drive which are taking the these really nice clean and cleanish amp sounds to another level for me. Very cool.

What's REALLY cool to me is this new world of gain tones! Until now, I always stayed on the clean side of things because I never found or was willing to keep spending money to find the right combination gear to get the "real" gain sounds I had in my head or hear on recordings. Those days are gone! A IIC+ preset really got my attention and there were SO many more. I'm really anxious to practice with the band and start playing with these great gain sounds.

The top panel amp controls are really nice to have at your finger tips especially since it took a little while for me to get used to navigating (all front panel so far) the screens. All of the control knobs have a very nice damped/fluid feel. The foot switches work very well too. No clicks or associated extra force required to activate them. Just a nice amount of spring pressure that's easy to operate by hand if you've got them on the table in front of you.

The overall look and feel of AX8 is excellent. It's heavier than I imagined. Feels like every bit of interior space is full. Really nice looking screens, buttons, lights. Very nice sturdy looking finishes and labeling on the on the housing. My unit does have several hex shaped light impressions/tool marks under the powder coat on the top of the main panels. They don't bother me at all and I only noticed them because I had the AX8 on a desk in front of me with a bright light and reading glasses.

A couple hours in and I'm really happy with the AX8 and don't foresee any reason that will change. Since I don't usually have to match someone else's sound, I plan to start by dialing in a basic group of maybe 3 presets with my new favorite clean, crunch, and gain sounds and learn from there!

Hope to hear from more new users soon!

Glad you dig the AX8....congrats!

I think those hex shaped things are press fit standoffs or something like that to mount the interior circuit boards etc. Mine has the same.

Glad you dig the AX8....congrats!

I think those hex shaped things are press fit standoffs or something like that to mount the interior circuit boards etc. Mine has the same.

All of their footpedal units (FX8 and the MFC101's) have those. Not too noticeable when you're actually using it as a footpedal :D
-
Austin

Tried a few Fractal's over the years, but the AX8 will be my first time actually owning a FAS unit.
Having played the Quantum on an AXEII I feel the modeling portion has really arrived, and the FX
has always been TOP. So, very stoked for this release. Came on the EU list in mid Nov, so expect
to see mine in spring (probably way after my booked easter gigs at the ski resorts in Sweden),
but it is what it is. Had I got to try the Quantum earlier I'd had been on the wait list (the pre-pre-pre-preeee wait list even) :)

Back
Top Bottom