Cubase doesn't respond to Axe fx 2?

pepsodent

Hey guys, I could really need some help setting up my Axe in Cubase (specifically for reamping.)

I've got the USB-driver installed and it's running fine in Axe edit through two Yamaha Hs80m's, so it IS communicating with the computer, and I'm able to switch between my Focusrite sound card and the Axe fx as my standard audio device on the computer overall. But it doesn't seem to be communicating at all with the Cubase VST audio system menu in the device setup, in which I've only got three alternatives as of now...

- FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver
- Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver (this sound card is set as my standard audio device on the computer)
- Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver

Weirdly, the Axe shows up in my MIDI port setup as AXE FX II MIDI IN and OUT. I've got the main input source sat as Analog (in 1) in the I/O-menu, but I've tried setting it to USB as well just to check. Nothing.

I was greatly helped around here last time I needed it a couple months back, hopefully you'll help me figure it out this time too! (heading out to work, back again to read later!

FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver

Isn't that the driver you need to use?

Then you'll need to map the inputs/outputs using device-->VST connections.

I thought so too, but nothing happens when I follow these steps on how to reamp:

Other guides on how to reamp have suggested that the device should be specifically called "AXE FX II", and with FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver activated there's no sound coming when I hit record. Even though, FAS... Fractal audio systems... right? What am I missing here?

This is the device setup:

33om7oi.jpg

And these are the VST connections:

2h2o4r8.jpg

Last edited:
Are you able to take & upload a video of the steps you're taking when trying to reamp?

Have you already recorded guitar through Axe-FX & USB while main input source = Analog Input 1?

I'm assuming you have a DI guitar track recorded somehow. When you play this (soloed) while Axe main input = USB, do you hear the processed sound from Axe Output 1?

@bondsong that's what I'm hoping for it to look like every time I try something new. Argh.

Are you able to take & upload a video of the steps you're taking when trying to reamp?

Have you already recorded guitar through Axe-FX & USB while main input source = Analog Input 1?

I'm assuming you have a DI guitar track recorded somehow. When you play this (soloed) while Axe main input = USB, do you hear the processed sound from Axe Output 1?

At the moment, no but I'll write it down:

1. I set the Axe to USB in main input source on I/O.
2. I enter Cubase > device setup > VST audio system > only three alternatives to choose from (see image above) > end up picking FAS USB Audio ASIO Driver (because seems like the most likely option?)
3. I enter VST connections and set the tracks as the image above shows.
4. Hit record as usual in Cubase, no sound. No dry signal, no wet signal.

I don't have a DI track recorded while doing all this (I wouldn't know how to record it anyway seeing as Cubase isn't recording neither a dry or a wet signal, just silence) so maybe I'm just misunderstanding the basics about reamping?

The thing I want to know the most is why my Axe doesn't show as "AXE FX II" in the VST audio system menu.

Hmm. Switched to Analog (In 1). Still no sound. There's a signal being recorded in Cubase but I can't seem to get any playback sound.

Then all of a sudden the Axe went nuts on me. It started sounding all distorted with this message blinking on the screen:

EXCESS CPU LEVEL!
REDUCE LOAD.

It goes away when I exit Cubase. What's going on?

Not sure about Cubase, but in Reaper, you have to turn on monitoring to hear the audio coming in to a track....you might look for that.

As. far as cpu goes, the usb connection can increase a presets usage, so you might try lowering the cpu usage of your preset and try again.

Cubase has nothing to do with the Axe Fx cpu load as far as I've noticed. Make sure that the track you are recording is set to receive an input. If you switch to the focusrite back to the axe fx it will very likely destroy the connections and you will have to reset them

Cubase has nothing to do with the Axe Fx cpu load as far as I've noticed. Make sure that the track you are recording is set to receive an input. If you switch to the focusrite back to the axe fx it will very likely destroy the connections and you will have to reset them
It doesn't matter what brand of daw your using, but just having the usb connected can very well increase the cpu load of the axe......and the level will rise and fall as you are playing. At least that is my experience, ymmv.

Okay, took what all of you wrote in consideration and ta-daa! Works like a charm.

Embarrassingly, One of the problems was that the dry signal was so quiet in volume that I was barely able to hear it (oops). Thank you for helping out! :)

Back
Top Bottom