Cubase 6?

HIPKO

Just got my Axe2, love it, so much to explore!....having some trouble getting it to work via the USB with Cubase 6....I am def a noob at this :cry Anybody have experience with the Axe and Cubase 6? I thought I would be able to bring it up as a VST just like EZ drummer...but it isn't there when I try to add a track. An in depth 'how to' would be great but any info anybody can give me is more than welcome..I want to start recording, I have a bunch of drum tracks already written and am aching to dig in!

I have not experimented any with the USB but I'm fairly sure it requires an ASIO driver. It is not a VST plugin. I run stereo out of the AxeFX into a Fireface and dont use the USB for audio. The AxeFX out of the fireface sounds pretty good and I havent felt any need to improve on that.

I believe you would have to switch ASIO drivers to render the AxeFX in Cubase then switch back to your A/D conveters ASIO for playback. Not sure how monitoring would work. I'm sure some forum members are running this config and will chime in. I am just kinda guessing.

One thing I can pass on about Cubase, at least the older versions, is set the ASIO driver to release in background. Felt farily stupid learning that after running things for a couple of years and always having to pull faders around. Prior to doing this my monitored sound through Cubase was thin sounding. Also I would get phasing from the monitored sound versus the live sound if I didnt lower the faders on the Fireface.

I have not experimented any with the USB but I'm fairly sure it requires an ASIO driver. It is not a VST plugin. I run stereo out of the AxeFX into a Fireface and dont use the USB for audio. The AxeFX out of the fireface sounds pretty good and I havent felt any need to improve on that.

I believe you would have to switch ASIO drivers to render the AxeFX in Cubase then switch back to your A/D conveters ASIO for playback. Not sure how monitoring would work. I'm sure some forum members are running this config and will chime in. I am just kinda guessing.

One thing I can pass on about Cubase, at least the older versions, is set the ASIO driver to release in background. Felt farily stupid learning that after running things for a couple of years and always having to pull faders around. Prior to doing this my monitored sound through Cubase was thin sounding. Also I would get phasing from the monitored sound versus the live sound if I didnt lower the faders on the Fireface.

My ignorance will truly show here: From what I understand, an ASIO driver will allow the software(Cubase) and external hardware (Axe) to communicate? So how do I go about getting an ASIO driver...link? I plan on monitoring with headphones into the front of the Axe..if that would work.

Hi Hipko

I have an Ultra not the Axe2, however I'm certain that you can't call it up as a software instrument in cubase. It isn't a VST software instrument - it's a hardware box with a USB in/out.

To configure it in cubase simply select an audio track and set the input to whatever the named option for the Axe2 is. The output should be set to whatever output bus you want.

This is what I do with cubase 6 and the ultra, except I require a delta 66 and omnistudio as my interface.

Cheers

You need ASIO on Windows only. I would guess you get it by installing the Axe-Fx II Windows drivers from Fractal Audio Systems Support

Your Cubase 6 should've come with both an extensive manual and handy "getting started" booklet. I'm still on version 5 but my booklet has everything you would need on pg 20 under the heading "Making settings for audio hardware". That and the Axe-Fx manual should contain everything you need to get things rolling.

I finally got it working it seems. When I do record a track, I can see that Cubase can "hear" it because of the mixer bars responding to my playing, but when I try to play back what I record I get no sounds....can I only hear what I record with the use of headphones/ monitors into the Axe???

make sure that you click on /enable the audio output when playing back. I'm not in front of the DAW now but if memory serves me it looks like a speaker symbol in the editor pane for that track.

make sure that you click on /enable the audio output when playing back. I'm not in front of the DAW now but if memory serves me it looks like a speaker symbol in the editor pane for that track.

Yes, I did that...but still no sound. Could I not have a good enough sound card in my comp, I have run a bunch of VST with no problems..?
FYI for anybody dealing with Cubase 6 the tutorials are on youtube: Steinberg Cubase 6 Quick-Start Video Tutorials 3 - YouTube

Am not using Cubase 6 (yet. I'm going to return to the Cubase fold soon), but a few ideas. Can you hear other things through the Axe Fx (loops, VST, system sound)? There's an audio output setting in Cubase that should be set to Axe Fx. Channel output should be routed to main mix by default. If you can see the wave in Cubase after recording, my first thought is that your output in Cubase isn't assigned to the Axe. The other issue could be how monitoring for the channel is set up. I don't know how it's set up in Cubase, but I'd want it off when recording because I can hear the Axe already, and ON when playing back because that's how I hear the recording.

Am not using Cubase 6 (yet. I'm going to return to the Cubase fold soon), but a few ideas. Can you hear other things through the Axe Fx (loops, VST, system sound)? There's an audio output setting in Cubase that should be set to Axe Fx. Channel output should be routed to main mix by default. If you can see the wave in Cubase after recording, my first thought is that your output in Cubase isn't assigned to the Axe. The other issue could be how monitoring for the channel is set up. I don't know how it's set up in Cubase, but I'd want it off when recording because I can hear the Axe already, and ON when playing back because that's how I hear the recording.

Once again, excuse my ignorance...just starting out. When I do record, I won't hear playback over my computer speakers, so what I am asking is will I be able hear the playback with phones/monitors hooked up to the axe? (I haven't hooked up any speakers/phones to the axe yet) Is that how it is supposed to work? I think I wrongly assumed that what I recorded in Cubase with the Axe could be played back on the computer speakers which are hooked up to the computer. I believe I do have the output set to the Axe.

Once again, excuse my ignorance...just starting out. When I do record, I won't hear playback over my computer speakers, so what I am asking is will I be able hear the playback with phones/monitors hooked up to the axe? (I haven't hooked up any speakers/phones to the axe yet) Is that how it is supposed to work? I think I wrongly assumed that what I recorded in Cubase with the Axe could be played back on the computer speakers which are hooked up to the computer. I believe I do have the output set to the Axe.

Since you're using the Axe as a soundcard you'll only be able to hear the playback from the Axe outputs/headphones jack.

OH!!! That makes perfect sense now. I was holding off on getting some monitors/phones till I get some more cash. Thanks you soooo much.

Back
Top Bottom