Crunch parameter?

Can someone e plain the difference between the terms crunch and distortion? I never know what they are

Distortion is normally 'sharper' sounding, and crunch is usually more rounded or warmer (easier on the ears). I think distortion is great for cutting leads/solos, and crunch is great for rhythm; but I don't think that the Crunch parameter is alluding to that in this case.

As Chris said, crunch is a quality of distortion.

Oh, I thought it meant slight to medium amount of distortion. Like a Plexi might give for example. In other words, a non-saturated distortion.

I'm sure the OP was just expecting a more lab coat type answer. No need to gang up on him. sheesh. We usually get such detailed explanations for every little parameter on the AXE FX. Although from a non-science point of view it does seem to increase crunchiness with higher values, and decrease it with lower values. I believe it sets the specs for the in-line of the rotary .girder...I'm retarded.

Yeeeah ... I'm with this guy to be honest. There seems to be a new theme of keeping features secret occurring recently ... I prefer reading the wiki articles that go deep into what a parameter is actually doing, but maybe that's just a nerdy thing.

It alters the amount of crunch. Higher settings yield more crunch. Lower settings yield less crunch.
In other words…"variable crunchability" when you want to "crunchaite your crunchable tones. (or, when you get into a crunching mood, as I often do.)
….and if you don't have a crunchable tone…GET ONE!

It's how you get this kind of sound out a Marshall:

16689991332_d90f889d61_c.jpg

..... :D

Oh my god. This is fucking stupid. I think the OP has asked a straight forward question here and deserves a straight forward answer. Many of these parameters have rather loose or subjective titles that often beg some explanation. Crunch is one of them. Please stop goofing around. If you have nothing constructive or relevant to add then please don't post.

Oh my god. This is fucking stupid. I think the OP has asked a straight forward question here and deserves a straight forward answer. Many of these parameters have rather loose or subjective titles that often beg some explanation. Crunch is one of them. Please stop goofing around. If you have nothing constructive or relevant to add then please don't post.

Are you referring to post #2? That was straight from the inventor, so anything after that will of course be less informative. Then we got another answer from him later. For whatever reason, cliff himself was not specific in his answers and that's what we have. This is a public forum and people took his lead and expounded upon it.

A straight forward question does not "deserve" a straight forward answer. It seems that some people here take advantage of how transparent the owner, inventor, designer, CEO, etc. is, and demand things all the time.

Regardless, do we need to know "exactly" what it does? Exactly what real-world counterpart it is affecting? It's just like the Cab preamps. We don't know what is what. And that's ok. Turn the knobs until it sounds good. There are so many people who let the numbers and model names affect their judgment of tone.

I worked with someone recently who said his clean amp sounded too distorted. I suggested to turn the input trim down in the amp block. He had it set to 5.5 or so. He told me "oh I can't do that. 5.5 is how I set it on the real amp so it HAS TO stay there." I said ok let's pretend I'm a complete idiot and I set up my amp with a trim of 1.5 and I boost the output level up 6 dB. He did it just to laugh at me... and there was his clean tone. He just could not fathom how a setting of lower than 5.5 could sound "good" - but it was exactly that which was holding him back from his request.

It'd be hilarious if the amp models were called "Amp 1, Amp 2," etc with no names. Perhaps more work up front to find amps you like, but I also know many using a Recto because they've always wanted to play one, when using a Plexi is actually the best amp for the sound and breakup quality they are seeking.

Make tones with your ears, not your eyes; the results are usually always better.

Regarding the Crunch parameter, yeah maybe if we knew it juices the transformer which makes the power section do this and that and the treble knob therefore does this... Yeah knowing things is cool. But all I know is if I turn it up I don't like it, and if I turn it down I don't like it. So I don't use it currently :)

Last edited:
I finally got to play around with this parameter. I think it has this cool stepping on a broken light bulb (or not) kinda sound - which I love :) I find it's even useful on clean sounds for adding a slight grit which I also love. The dynamics tab is complete awesomeness!

A straight forward question does not "deserve" a straight forward answer. It seems that some people here take advantage of how transparent the owner, inventor, designer, CEO, etc. is, and demand things all the time.

I can totally respect that. But if Cliff just wants to keep the secret sauce secret, I think it might be a better solution would probably be to just say "it's proprietary, and I don't want to say exactly what it does." I think he's done that before, which effectively and respectfully shut down all but the trolls. Since he didn't do that this time, it came across as cheek, to me anyway.

Plus, in a Beta, I wanted to know how it was supposed to work so I could report back on whether it seemed to be working as designed or not. Without knowing what the real goal is besides a single multi-meaning ambiguous term, it's hard to say. ;-)

Plus, in a Beta, I wanted to know how it was supposed to work so I could report back on whether it seemed to be working as designed or not.
if there's more crunch at higher values, and less crunch at lower values, i'd say it's working :)

Thanks for this thread - for days I wanted to check this parameter and forgot it always again - now I did. Wow, there it is what I was trying to do with variac, ideal sat and this parameter makes everything smooth, creamy and warmer. I just did some tweaking on my headphones - tomorrow at the rehearsal room I will know how it cuts still at loud level...:encouragement:

It's working at my end - just try it and you see - just turn parameter to your own taste and everyting is fine...

This is now my favorite parameter. It seems if I find something is close, but not quite, a bit of a twist one way or another gets me there. I will say, that, too much of this knob does very bad things on high gain amps. I've been going anywhere from 0 - 35 on high and medium gain, and just full on 100 on cleans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For real though ... it'd be nice to know what this is actually altering!

You could always try it yourself and just use your ears, and come back here and share with us what it did. I haven't installed the latest firmware yet so I am always curious to hear you all share your experiences:)

Back
Top Bottom